Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any particularly good baked bean recipes out there??

Options
Having guests this Saturday and looking for a unique side dish to go with roast chicken. As always, wisdom of fellow Eggers appreciated

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    This one is a winner that I have made many times and it gets raves. I hope you have some left over pulled pork!

KERI’S HOG-APPLE BAKED BEANS

Microwave 8 pieces of bacon, save grease, dice 4 of them for this dish 

2  28 oz  cans of Bush’s Original Baked Beans – do not drain

½ c Blue’s Hog Sauce or your favorite BBQ sauce

3.0 cups of pulled pork chopped fairly fine

1 21oz can of apple or cherry pie filling – dice so no large chunks

1 med onion, chopped

½ green pepper, chopped

¼ c brown sugar

2 T Worcestershire

2 T yellow mustard

½ t chipotle or cayenne pepper

1 t Blue’s Hog dry rub or your favorite dry rub

Sauté onion and green pepper in the bacon grease. Mix all the remaining ingredients in a cast iron Dutch Oven stirring thoroughly. Bake in BGE indirect at 325° dome using plate setter with legs up and some spacers for air flow for 1 hour with NO lid on the DO. 

Source: via thirdeye on 10-24-07. Originator was someone named Keri C, smoking on Tulsa Time

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Oh lordy, my wife makes the best beans. The recipe is from Memphis and they have ground beef in them. Let me see if she has it in writing.  

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    Kansas City's Famous Barbeque Recipes 

Jack Stack Barbecue Beans Recipe Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue of Kansas City 

Prep Time: 5 minutes 
    Cook Time: 20 minutes 
    Yield: 4 to 6 servings 

1 (32-ounce) can pork and beans 
    1 cup chopped brisket
    4 slices of bacon
    1 cup BBQ sauce (recommended: Jack Stack Original) 
    4 heaping tablespoons brown sugar 
    1 tablespoon chili powder 
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke 
    1/2 cup ketchup 
    1/2 cup water

Combine all ingredients in a 4-quart saucepan. Over medium heat, bring beans to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Cook beans for 20 minutes or until a thick, soupy consistency is reached. Serve. 
    This recipe also works well on a grill, letting the great outdoors permeate and enhance the flavor of the beans as they cook. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I hope someone posts a low sodium recipe! When it came to baked beans, I was always easy to please and would just doctor up a can of Campbell's. Now that I have to watch my sodium, there isn't a can of baked beans anywhere that I can eat. Haven't had any in a year and a half, maybe longer.

I have been known to take perfectly good recipes and remove most of the salt. Once you get used to it, it can really be quite good. But I haven't found a good baked bean recipe yet.

Post 'em if you got 'em!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited April 2015
    Options
    the  quickie "cheater" version. 
    Bush's maple/br sugar + onions + green peppers + Jack Stack BBQ sauce + left-over brisket. 

Jack Stack is one of the "big three" BBQ joints in the KC area. 
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    I hope someone posts a low sodium recipe! When it came to baked beans, I was always easy to please and would just doctor up a can of Campbell's. Now that I have to watch my sodium, there isn't a can of baked beans anywhere that I can eat. Haven't had any in a year and a half, maybe longer.

I have been known to take perfectly good recipes and remove most of the salt. Once you get used to it, it can really be quite good. But I haven't found a good baked bean recipe yet.

Post 'em if you got 'em!
    I know what you mean.  Sodium is not my friend either.  :-(

Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options

Post 'em if you got 'em!
    this is my go to stripped down blue collar bean recipe, i only use about a third pound of salt pork so maybe 2-300 mg salt per big serving. small white beans or yellow eye beans. you can also deepen the bean flavor by adding the small red beans as they break down during the cook into a sauce. its similar to campbells pork and beans but not as sweet. maybe make 30 pots a year of these at camp. i dont add the salt either, just the salt pork at 1/3 to 1/2 pound

Lowell's Famous Rochett's Baked Beans

2 lbs California pea beans or any dried white pea beans
    1 1/2  teaspoons salt
    1 lb salt pork - cut in 2-inch squares
    1/4 cup ketchup

Wash beans thoroughly.  Drain and pour into 4 1/2 quart
    Bean pot.  Add pork, ketchup, salt and a little water.
    Stir to mix thoroughly.  Add enough water to come up
    2 inches from the top of the pot.  Cover pot and cook for
    5 hours at 350 degrees.  Remove lid and cover beans
    with 1/2 inch of water.  Continue baking beans uncovered
    for 2 hours more, or until the salt pork is cooked to taste

Makes 8 to 10 servings.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it