Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 Egg Easter Dinner incl. Rack of Lamb

Options
For Easter this year I would be taking things on the road, so I needed the main dish to have at least a 10 minute rest time and be somewhat predictable time wise. Some of the other sides would need to be heated and ready to go at the other end. Here is what I decided to make:

Honey-Curry Glazed Lamb with Roasted Grapes and Tomatoes (myrecipes.com)
No-knead Hot Cross Buns (kingartherflousr.com)
Hermits (Smoke It-LIKE A PRO cookbook)

I used my 3rd Egg, the Baking Egg to do the rolls and dessert under the watchful eye of my new DigiQ DX2. I basically had to light it and get the food on and off at the right times and that was all I needed to do. The DigiQ DX2 got me to the right temps and kept me there so I could focus on other things. 

The rack of lamb was intended to be seared on a cast iron skill at around 350, get glazed and finish off in a 425 degree oven. I was making extra lamb so I turned my second Egg into a very large c.i. skillet through the use of two BGE Half Moon Grill Griddles. The first Egg was controlled by  the CyberQ and it took it to 425 while I was dealing with putting the spices on the lamb and searing itThe 3 food probes came in handy for the 3 racks of lamb. Enough jawing, lets get cooking:

Hot Cross Buns:

Since they had a couple rises the hot cross buns were first. The ingredient for the dough are all gathered.

The dough was mixed together in a stand mixer, covered, and allowed to rise. It doesn't physically rise much, but it does get a bit more soupy and bubbly. 

The batter was spooned out so it filled 3/4 of each cup. It was then allowed to rise so it crowned out of the cups.

I love being able to light my baking Egg and simply walk out with the food later knowing the Egg will be right where I want it-in this case 400 degrees. For those of you questioning my sanity for paying more for the BGE branded version, I didn't pay more. My dealer is in N.H. where there is no state sales tax. Between his price, no sales tax and no delivery charges I had it the same day and paid a bit less.

The buns are on the Eg at 400 degrees and come off again after 20 minutes.

The buns are turned out of the muffin pan immediately. They are allowed to cool for 10 minutes and are glazed.

Hermits

The ingredients are gathered and while the prep is going on the DigiQ is getting the Egg to 350. It is so nice being able to focus on the prep and let the Egg take care of itself.

The finished batter was very stiff and sticky. You don't pour it, you turn it out and press it into shape.

The first 1/4 sheet pan of Hermits is done. If you look carefully you can see the second tray waiting on the wings on the left side ready to go on.

Honey-Curry Glazed Lamb with Roasted Grape and Cranberry

The cranberries and grapes were tossed with olive oil and fresh chopped rosemary and were baked in the oven.

The rub and glaze ingredients were gathered. It was a simple rub using red curry, kosher salt and black pepper. The glaze was honey & olive oil.

The lamb is rubbed and rested for 30 minutes, from here on everything will happen out at the grills.

The lamb is browned on all sides for about 2 minutes per side.

The lamb is brushed with the honey-olive oil glaze.

The lamb is (just barely) on the Egg. I thought I was going to have to stack them like a pyramid, but I did a test fitting while they were still in cryovac which showed me that would just fit lying flat. The 3 racks were cooked on the top rack of the AR at 425 degrees. They were each taken to 130 degrees.

THE MEAL:
It took me 8 minutes to get to my parents house and I was cutting the lamb up 2 minutes later, so I made the 10 minute rest time perfectly.  Some folks on the other end took care of getting the rest of the sides heated and plated so we were good to go when I cut the lamb. Here is how everything looked:

I couldn't have been happier with the result and more importantly, my family loved it. I am glad I made the 3rd rack of lambs because everyone at one or two chops more than what conventional wisdom says they would. Some said the only reason they didn't have more was they were saving room for the Hermits they heard were coming for dessert. To me the best paper of this hobby is sharing the results with family and friends.
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments