Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try tip

good to do a tri tip today. Need to know what temp and roughly how long to cook it

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Cruise on over to @anton or @stemc33 pages and peruse their discussions. Just click on either name @anton did one this week. 
  • pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    If you like it rare, go indirect 250-300, when meat reaches 110 pull it and let it rest. Change Egg setup to direct and take it up to 600ish, sear both sides for about 1.5 minutes each. If the tip is thawed it will likely take 40-45 minutes from start to finish, longer if you want it more well done.

Enjoy, it is one of my favorites.
  • jstnezell
    jstnezell Posts: 62
    ^ what @pswarren said and remember to cut across the grain when you carve or it will be tough, I think you'll enjoy....Tri-tip has turned in to one of my favorites
    Houston, TX - LBGE
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited April 2015
    I cook a TON of tri tip ... I do it traditional Santa Maria style, this is how I do it.

Ingredients - Granulated garlic, Lawry's Seasoned Salt, Course black pepper& olive oil.

(1) Rub the oil all over the meat. This process helps the spices stick
    (2) 
    Sprinkle on the seasonings. Start with the garlic, get a lot on there. This is the base ingredient to a perfect product.
    (3) Next, add seasoned salt
    (4) Add black pepper

Now, in the next phase, the grilling process is just as important as the ingredients. Authentic tri tip is grilled directly over high heat with red oak coals, I use oak chips, lots of it.

I do not use the reverse sear method on my tri tip. I sear it first. The first side is seared @ approx 500 degrees for 5 minutes .. then flip and do the other side - another 5 minutes.

I then pull the tri tip ... foil and set aside.

Remove grate, put platesetter back in egg, It takes approx 10 minutes or so to bring the temps down to 350 degrees.

Once the temp is to 350, I put the tri tip back on ... insert Maverick and pull when it hits 137. The result - tri tip perfection!

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Larry
    Larry Posts: 1
    Just finished one following your recipe, it turned out perfect!  Thanks

Larry
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Larry said:

Larry
    Pics or it didn't happen!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Larry said:

Larry
    Awsome, I'm glad you loved it. I'm going to do another one soon
  • FlyByWire
    FlyByWire Posts: 5
    SoCalTim said:
    I cook a TON of tri tip ... I do it traditional Santa Maria style, this is how I do it.

Ingredients - Granulated garlic, Lawry's Seasoned Salt, Course black pepper& olive oil.

(1) Rub the oil all over the meat. This process helps the spices stick
    (2) Sprinkle on the seasonings. Start with the garlic, get a lot on there. This is the base ingredient to a perfect product.
    (3) Next, add seasoned saltsalt 
    (4) Add black pepper

Now, in the next phase, the grilling process is just as important as the ingredients. Authentic tri tip is grilled directly over high heat with red oak coals, I use oak chips, lots of it.

I do not use the reverse sear method on my tri tip. I sear it first. The first side is seared @ approx 500 degrees for 5 minutes .. then flip and do the other side - another 5 minutes.

I then pull the tri tip ... foil and set aside.

Remove grate, put platesetter back in egg, It takes approx 10 minutes or so to bring the temps down to 350 degrees.

Once the temp is to 350, I put the tri tip back on ... insert Maverick and pull when it hits 137. The result - tri tip perfection!

Alright, I used this method for my first cook on the BGE. Turned out great.

I have never been able to get a decent crust on my tri tips. Ever. I use Santa Maria seasoning from Susie Q's (the best), however most of it ends up stuck to the grill. 

How can I get that nice crust that Santa Maria tri tips are supposed to have?