Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig set-ups

Options
I currently have the the adjustable rig (R&B Combo for my LBGE), a spider, and the rig extender with sliding D Grid. Any other AR users have advice on additional AR accessories they like? (a 13" stone for spider? or the drip pan?) I'd like to get the most out of the AR -- Thanks!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

Comments

• Adrock
    Adrock Posts: 93
    Options
    I am curious too.  I hate cleaning a drip pan so i am more inclined to just go disposable.  But curious to know what setup is most ideal for the average guy.
    Victoria, MN
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    I have the SS drip pan, use it all the time. Cover it in foil, when done toss the foil, easy clean up !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i use a 13.5 inch paella pan for the drip, also use it as a roasting pan, deepdish pizza pan, grilled cheese etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • clintmiller
    clintmiller Posts: 147
    Options
    They make an oval ring that you can cover with foil to make a homemade drip pan. I use that all the time. It fits perfectly over the oval stone.

I have their half-circle stone, which I use quite a bit when I want to do a mix of direct and indirect cooking at the same time. I also use it when I cook steaks. I'll put the steaks above the half stone at 275 for the indirect part of the cook, then crank up the heat and throw the steaks in the fire for the sear. That way, I don't have to pull a hot stone out of the grill in the middle of the cook.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I use a clay flower pot saucer on top of my oval stone for a drip pan, just line with foil & no clean up needed.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
     A stone, cast iron grill, cast iron pan all  for the spider
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    I purchased the R&b AR and loved it, but hated the ring that allows me to fashion a foil drip pan to dimensions of the oval stone.   I bought the spider, the 13" stone and a 14" drip pan ( very shiny {in my rainman voice})  in hopes of never trying to craft foil around that ring again.  I also bought a 16" pan I may use on lvl 1.5.   I think foiling the pans will be easier than the dman ring.  We'll see. Oh I bought the extender as well .   I just love the erector set qualities of this thing.   Looking fwd to getting the 13" CI grate for close to lump steak searing.  FYi I normally do 2-4 HALF racks of ribs so I hope my new indirect stuff will work as well as the oblong stone did. Tbd
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    I have the spider and the 13" stone along with my AR B&R w/ extender. My standard setup for reverse sear would be using the spider and AR. 

I tried something different this past weekend.  I usually place the oval stone at the 1.5 level.  I cooked a 15.5lb brisket and 3 racks of BB ribs.  I pinged Tom and he gave me some ideas but I kept running out of head room from the 3.0 level and the 4.5 level for the racks of ribs.  I ended up placing the oval directly on the fire ring and then placed the AR on top of the stone, racks at 1.5 and 4.5 for the ribs and kept the brisket up top on the extender.  Everything worked out great!  some coordination with the moving around of the ribs but worth getting it all in at once.  Would do that setup again if I am under space constraints.  Highly recommend for that type of application. 
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I sent an email to them, they recommended another oval grid (which allows you to rotate your levels (e.g. wings) without having to move food. Also recommended the 13" stone w/ spider for indirect (for maximizing space).

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I use the spider and 13" stone.  If I'm doing ribs or brisket, I just use foil for the edges.  If I'm doing a multilevel cook with different meats (i.e. pork, beef), I drape a layer of foil in between to deflect the drippings.

If it's low and slow, I rarely worry about rotating the meat (I do have the sliding grids and like them) - I find the egg cooks pretty evenly regardless.

I also have the SS drip pan.  Despite foiling religiously, it doesn't stay shiny for long!!  (I imagine I could clean it up, but why bother?)
    NOLA
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    I might should add that the reason I personally hate the ring fabricated HDAF drip soln is my limited dexterity in my left hand.  It makes stuff like making a drip pan around a ring difficult.
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    Options
    I'm pleased someone posted this, because I'm pondering what setup would work for me. I've been loving my Large BGE for the time I've had it... under a year, still... but it'd be great to have more cooking surface.

I've read this Rig vs. Woo article on the CGS website. I have a 15" stone already, and I'm wondering if I could use that for indirect cooks if I bought an AR. I watched one of the videos with the sliding D grid, and that looks awesome. All in I'm looking at another $200+ for Egg goodies, and I don't know if it's worth it just yet.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    Options
    Ah, hell... I just read the whole CGS site in detail, and ordered the R&B combo with the oval grid. I really just wanted a couple of levels to cook on, for both grilling & smoking. I'm curious how the setup is going to work with my existing stone & drip pan, if at all.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options

I just recently bought the extra oval gride to go with my existing R&B combo. I used it this weekend (ribs on 1 grid and chicken on other. It was so nice and easy to rotate the two racks. Thumbs up.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    I find that two 13x17 grates are helpful when doing a pile of ribs. I am even thinking of getting a 3rd, but haven't done so yet. 
  • Blassiter
    Blassiter Posts: 195
    Options
    I have been looking at the AR setups recently so the timing of this thread is perfect. I currently have the PSWoo2 and am in need of an extra level. I emailed CGS and was informed that they are getting ready to release an attachment for the PSWoo2 to add the extra level. Now I have to decide which way to go. 

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA