Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Roast Questions

Options
I think the next cook I want to conquer is a standing rib roast. Have looked around and see different information and different thoughts but curious to know what folks think...

What's the best preparation on the egg? From rub to cook time I would love any input!  

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• orbbq
    orbbq Posts: 39
    Options
    I just did one last weekend.  I rubbed it down with Worcestershire to stick the rub.  Went with Montreal steak shake for the rub.  wrapped it and left it in the fridge for 3 days sitting in the rub.  Day of cook, took it out about an hour before going on the XL.  fired it up with a half full firebox and let it go up to about 500 topless.  Threw in smoke wood (cherry and peach) added the platesetter cold water in a drip pan and grate.  Loaded roast in and closed lid.  dome recovered to about 375.  threw daisy on set for about 225 and let it coast down.  took about an hour to drop from 375 to 225.  Then just let it chug away.  had to open it up and stir in my smoke wood about 2 hours in as it stopped puffing.  took about 5 hours for a 7lber.  I took it to 140 since I had a few over that don't like "red" meat.  Pulled and FTC for about an hour before slicing up.  Still had some nice pink sections in the middle and some medium well on the ends for those who don't like pink.  Was probably the best thing i've pulled off the egg yet.  Can't wait to do another one.

I think the initial "sear" going from 375 down really set it up for a nice crust and juicy inside.
    BGE XL in the Pacific NW
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    @orbbq, that is a great point.  I have actually taken to either starting or finishing at 350 or so to get enough crust - without doing a formal really high temp sear.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You'll have a browner more even crust if you let it dry a few days at least before simply roasting it at 250. No sear before or after, and a better crust than searing, but with MUCH more even cooking throughout. 

Searing at the beginning or end will give you too much grey overdone underneath the surface. "Slow roasted" prime rib is a restaurant staple for a reason. Easy, impressive, and yields the best cross section of done-ness

give it a try
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I just did one for Easter.  I did let it dry out for a couple of days first. Did a hi temp sear at the end. It was fantastic!

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1179387/prime-grade-rib-roast-for-easter#latest
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • randerson1126
    Options
    This is a huge help! Thanks so much. 

I am not someone who likes "overdone" beef and prefer medium-rare. What is the best temperature to remove the roast to let it sit?
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    You want to shoot for 130 to 135 range at its coldest point. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited April 2015
    Options

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    You can't beat Montreal Steak Seasoning if you ask me. Add some fresh Rosemary to the top and sit back and wait for a fantastic roast. In my opinion, a good stiff horseradish sauce is required with dinner.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You want to end up at 130-135º. You need to account for carryover. If you cook it at lower temps the whole way, there will be very little carryover. If you sear to get a nice brown crust, there will be a significant carryover. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I pull at 122°-125°
    GWN