Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My XL is getting a play mate.

Options
Tinyfish
Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
edited April 2015 in EGG Table Forum

Well join my kamado collection will be a Komodo Kamado 23" in bronze metallic.  I should take  delivery in May. This is a stock picture.

This will sit along side my XL and my Joe Jr.  Many will disagree with my purchase,  but I like what I like. I am not trying to start any pissing match of one kamado being better then another. Everyone's purchase is their own business and each kamado is great in its own right.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    It's cute.
    McKinney, TX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    Awesome looking Kamado!  Defintely an awesome looking grill!

Congrats on the piece of art.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    Dang! How will you decide which to use? Btw it looks awesome, like it belongs in a temple. Best of luck with it.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Bling!!  You gotta post a pic of the whole family, once they're set up together!

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• SLOandSteady
    Options
  • Tinyfish
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Chowman said:
    Dang! How will you decide which to use? Btw it looks awesome, like it belongs in a temple. Best of luck with it.
    Like anyone with more then one kamado the one called upon for the cook will depend on how big the cook is and long it needs cooking. A lot of times I'm using two or more at the same time for different temperature cooks.
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    I wouldn't know if I should cook on it or worship it. Well I feel the same about my eggs. 
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Naked whiz did a review on these and basically raved about them.  I recall an analogy to Ford vs Ferarri.  The egg was the Ford. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    is it wrong to admit to having  kamado envy?  In all honesty congrats and I look forward to seeing pics of his beast in action. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I don't see why anyone would disagree with that. Those are the best Kamados out there.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    edited April 2015
    Options
    looks awesome. Any idea how much it weighs?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    grege345 said:

From memory the loaded weight of the komodo with all three grids weighs about 560lbs. The three stainless steel  grids weight about 80lbs.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Looks like 548 lbs according to their website.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • minniemoh
    Options
    @Tinyfish - WOW! Congratulations! I just spent some time browsing their website and those things are really cool. It will be interesting to get your thoughts on how much more efficient it is on lump consumption and food taste comparison.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Bravo, price on those? Lets not be modest how much was it?
    Seattle, WA
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    @Tinyfish - WOW! Congratulations! I just spent some time browsing their website and those things are really cool. It will be interesting to get your thoughts on how much more efficient it is on lump consumption and food taste comparison.
    Did you read/come across the test where they filled the charcoal basket with about 16lbs of charcoal  the Komodo Coco charcoal. It ran at 225f or so for like 85 hours on that one load of charcoal.
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Bravo, price on those? Lets not be modest how much was it?
    Lets just say I had to break piggy bank open and dip deep into my slush fund plus sell off some unused charcoal bbqs and smoker to fund this purchase.

At this price point it's not a kamado for everyone but I thought I deserved a treat. Now I just have to figure out how to attach a motor to it cause it has to double as my Harley too...lol.
  • SkinnyV
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I never know why people have to be shy what they pay for stuff , especially on an anonymous forum but oh well. Loved my neighbor across the street, i asked about her cement work , she brought me her invoice of $7k.....whats to hide what's to be modest about. Oh well. The egg is $1k+ what are these ..$5k so what. Good for u nothing to hide.
    Seattle, WA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited April 2015
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    I never know why people have to be shy what they pay for stuff , especially on an anonymous forum but oh well. Loved my neighbor across the street, i asked about her cement work , she brought me her invoice of $7k.....whats to hide what's to be modest about. Oh well. The egg is $1k+ what are these ..$5k so what. Good for u nothing to hide.
    Its a matter of politeness.  I was raised to not discuss money in public.  Just appreciate what folks have and be happy for them.  If you really want something yourself make a phone call and ask or use the PM feature.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I'm with OP here, I'm not comfortable with talking finance.  Someone asked what the price on the demo MM and I hesitated until i realized they could go on the same site I did. 
  • SkinnyV
    edited April 2015
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Its a matter of politeness.  I was raised to not discuss money in public.  Just appreciate what folks have and be happy for them.  If you really want something yourself make a phone call and ask or use the PM feature.
    Sure....in person people u don't know face to face yeah...if someone asks cause they are generally curious I let em have it. In the end I get it my question not important , it was just what came to me. Congrats!
    Seattle, WA
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    minniemoh said:
    Did you read/come across the test where they filled the charcoal basket with about 16lbs of charcoal  the Komodo Coco charcoal. It ran at 225f or so for like 85 hours on that one load of charcoal.
    I read a bunch of stuff but I guess I didn't read that one. Man that's a long time! I have gotten 30 hrs out of my large once but I would have to guess at how much lump I put in. Again, congrats.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    On 16lbs of RW my XL would go 40hrs, however, I can only fit 13 lbs in it, so in reality I could only go 32 hours.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    That is a work of art.  It kinda looks / feels like you should have some type of religious ceremony as part of each cook though.
    Phoenix 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Hey @Tinfish I think it's neat that you bought something out of the ordinary that you really wanted.  It'll be great to hear what you think of it versus the BGE.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Beautiful, congratulations!  That thing is so solid, you could probably tie a dog off to it.
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    I guess you know the price so why ask. Is it so you can say what an egg cost which I should know cause I have one. So why go there. 
  • Tinyfish
    Options

On 16lbs of RW my XL would go 40hrs, however, I can only fit 13 lbs in it, so in reality I could only go 32 hours.
    I have not used the Komodo Coco charcoal but from what I read its very dence and compact. Its has no taste or flavor profile  , it lets your smoke wood come to the forefront.  See some photo's. So that box holds 20lbs. My XL has very long burn times with the Argentina charcoal I use,  it is also very dence charcoal. I fill the XL fire box not fire ring maybe 3/4 full and I go 17 hours at 225f with a good amount of charcoal left. For anyone in Toronto or Ontario try the Argentina charcoal.