Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time To Try Our Charcuterie

Options
cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
Noce di Spalla ( A whole muscle from the pork shoulder cured with Riesling wine brine
2 days in the brine covered with black pepper and peperoncino powder, 35 days aged 60F 65RH. It lost 46% of the initial weight.

We opened one Nduja also, after 27 days in the chamber at 55F and 80RH. It came out very good, just a little bit too dry to be a spreadable salame, we learned it needs more fat.

This plate was our appetizer yesterday

Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,042
    Options
    Wow.  Very nice.  So how do you know it won't kill you?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    damn.  that first one looks incredible.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Umm, no, that is NOT in my diet. Hahaha. But I would sample it anyway. ;)

Looks awesome!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookn biker
    Options
    Because Enrico's family has made these for more than 100 years
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Looks absolutely amazing Molly!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,042
    Options
    Because Enrico's family has made these for more than 100 years
    Thats very cool.  I love cured meats, just never even thought of attempting it myself.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Dayyuummmm!  When I was in Spain last week we saw Jamon everywhere?  Have you or Enrico or anyone you know tried curing a whole pig leg?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Noce di Spalla ( A whole muscle from the pork shoulder cured with Riesling wine brine
    2 days in the brine covered with black pepper and peperoncino powder, 35 days aged 60F 65RH. It lost 46% of the initial weight.

We opened one Nduja also, after 27 days in the chamber at 55F and 80RH. It came out very good, just a little bit too dry to be a spreadable salame, we learned it needs more fat.

This plate was our appetizer yesterday

Not to sound crass...but Cowboy....you got some nice looking meat there

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• cookn biker
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    Dayyuummmm!  When I was in Spain last week we saw Jamon everywhere?  Have you or Enrico or anyone you know tried curing a whole pig leg?
    Vinny, next winter we will try if we can find a whole pig. European pigs usually are so huge compared with American pigs, they have a lot more fat. This changes the way to cure them. In Italy exist a race of pig called "maiale pesante italiano" something like "Italian weight pig", they can pass 600 pounds without problems.

Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    Vinny, next winter we will try if we can find a whole pig. European pigs usually are so huge compared with American pigs, they have a lot more fat. This changes the way to cure them. In Italy exist a race of pig called "maiale pesante italiano" something like "Italian weight pig", they can pass 600 pounds without problems.

It sounds like it's possible here but the overall quality isn't going to compare to the breeds of pigs in Europe.  Plus I don't know any farmers that are selling pigs that have only been acorn fed!  I do have Duroc pork processing plant that does custom orders with chemical and hormone free pork.  That might fit the ticket but that's far far away yet!  One day
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    My late BIL was obsessed with jamon. The good stuff is not available in the US so he went to Spain just to check out how it was produced. He actually installed a large, walk-in climate controlled curing booth in his home - hams hanging everywhere! As I recall, made some arrangement for someone to raise hogs fed with the correct acorns needed to produce the right flavor. 

I will say this... he had one of his hams mounted in one of those racks in your second pic, sitting in the dining room table next to a big ol' slicing knife. Man, that was some GOOD stuff!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookn biker
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    WeberWho? said:

It sounds like it's possible here but the overall quality isn't going to compare to the breeds of pigs in Europe.  Plus I don't know any farmers that are selling pigs that have only been acorn fed!  I do have Duroc pork processing plant that does custom orders with chemical and hormone free pork.  That might fit the ticket but that's far far away yet!  One day
    Duroc is good race too. In the past was true they fed the pig with 100% oak acorn, but was true just for the family, if you grow a pig in the family to kill it in December or January, not in the company. The company write acorn fed but they really use a acorn flour for 75% of the amount of the pigs diet. How much was the price of the jamon where you stay? for 100 grams 
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Wow!  That's a beautiful plate. Very interesting thread. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @cookn biker Absolutely beautiful traditional charcuterie. Thanks for sharing this ancient craft and your process. The results have been proven for more than a century.  The last time we enjoyed something like this was in Italy and Spain. Kudos to you!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Molly,

Beautiful! The big black one in the last pic is just napping no?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookn biker
    Options

Molly,

Beautiful! The big black one in the last pic is just napping no?

We think she is getting ready to give birth
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    She was so cute I couldn't make guanciale with her

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookn biker
    Options
    She was so cute I couldn't make guanciale with her
    A BIG BIG BIG two Guanciale and a BIG BIG BIG Goletta (the throat area of the pig, it is another cut) too

Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • WeberWho
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Duroc is good race too. In the past was true they fed the pig with 100% oak acorn, but was true just for the family, if you grow a pig in the family to kill it in December or January, not in the company. The company write acorn fed but they really use a acorn flour for 75% of the amount of the pigs diet. How much was the price of the jamon where you stay? for 100 grams 

The price varied on quality.  The better quality jamon averaged  $19 - 100 grams. (Raised on acorn and dry aged minimum of 2 years)  I saw whole legs go between  $70 - $500.  Top of the line can go as much as $1500  

I tried the link for the book but brings me to a blank page. I've read about 3/4 of Charcuterie.  What a fantastic read! Will reread and let it it soak in the second time. 

Minnesota