Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Almost Burned My Egg Up

Not only is an air gap under egg an important thing never never leave egg unattended during clean burn.  Took the dog for a quick walk and found my table on fire when we got back.  Luckily not too much damage.  Just a reminder to all these things can get hot.  When I get time plan to tear egg down, look for cracks and replace gasket with Rutland.  Also will purchase egg nest for proper air gap.  Is there any place LBGE tends to crack?  I will inspect closely upon tear down but just wondering if anyone knows of any weak spots in the ceramics.  On the plus side thing is almost white inside top to bottom. One last question, was it a bad idea to pull the thermometer and let her run wide open with 3/4 of a fire box full?  How do others do clean burn? 

Comments

• tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    That was a near fatal my friend....
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • Offpiste
    Offpiste Posts: 47
    Yeah I know that's why I'm sharing.  The egg has way more power then any gasser and one must be careful when using.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Curious to see the inside after the burn "up".  Was wondering about this doing a clean burn.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • beatarmy
    beatarmy Posts: 194
    i thought it was going to be a lot worst after reading the description prior to seeing the pictures.
    Franklin, TN - (1) LBGE and a cooler full of beer
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Glad everything turned out ok.  The last time I did a clean burn I pulled the thermometer.  Just installed my Rutland's today. 
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    You can get plenty of cleaning action running 600-700º. Keep the thermometer in and control the temp. It will just take longer than running wide open. But less chance of starting a fire. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Good thing you caught it. I doubt you have a crack, your egg looks off center in the table hole and touching what burned. I imagine it was heat transfer. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    When it's hot check the bottom, especially around the vent. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Scary stuff! I was running around 600 degrees the other night to clean some junk out. I pulled out my IR thermometer and I was surprised how hot the temps were surrounding the egg. I was seeing temps at and around 200 degrees. I dont know what the ignition temp of wood is but I know i dont like seeing 200 degrees.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Whew, glad you, and your house and belongings/ loved ones are okay! Thank you for sharing, all wood table users need to take note.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    @grege345. Wood typically has a higher flash point than 200 degrees (or thereabouts), but there is a known condition where repeated exposure (relatively) lower temps will dry out wood and eventually cause it to ignite far lower than the flash point. 

Steam systems, even those under lower pressure, like 2 pounds or so, may only be slightly above boiling point in temp, but after a few decades of heating and drying there have been documented cases of fires starting from contact with the 215 degree pipe 

i agree with the comment that there's no need for super hot burnout. I dried the small and large egg saturday (in prep for easter cooking) by adding fresh lump and filling to about halfway or better. Then lit a fire and held temps around 400 all day until it burned out. Easter morning it was all cold and so emptied the ash and fired up again. Nice and dry and clean 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited April 2015
    I ordered a granite top for my table last week. The wood was beginning to darken around the edge of the hole. Made me nervous. 

Little Rock, AR

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Glad to hear everything is ok. Never done clean burn on mine so I'm interested to see the before and after pics.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• logchief
    edited April 2015
    grege345 said:
    Scary stuff! I was running around 600 degrees the other night to clean some junk out. I pulled out my IR thermometer and I was surprised how hot the temps were surrounding the egg. I was seeing temps at and around 200 degrees. I dont know what the ignition temp of wood is but I know i dont like seeing 200 degrees.
    200 is no problem, when you get to 400 + on dry wood you could start to see some charring.  Like the old book Fahrenheit 451 the temperature which paper burns.  I'm obviously aging myself which is not hard
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    @logchief. It's not quite right. Repeated heating of wood lowers the temperature at which it will burn. Counterintuitive, but true. 

See: www.doctorfire.com/low_temp_wood1.pdf

how water or steam pipes have caused fires, and they are of course well below the 451
  • Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    That's scary!!!
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    You are a lucky sum beach.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Several have had this happen. I did a couple high temp pizzas so the egg sat at 700 for a good hour then I shut it down and we ate and got drunk and passed out on the couch and luckily my wife got up to use the bathroom and walked by the back window and asked why my egg was still going. There were foot high flames all around my table I had to hose it down. The outside of the egg can get really hot I have taken IR readings on the mini dome over 500 before. Glad you caught it in time.
  • logchief
    edited April 2015
    st¡ke said:
    @logchief. It's not quite right. Repeated heating of wood lowers the temperature at which it will burn. Counterintuitive, but true. 

See: www.doctorfire.com/low_temp_wood1.pdf

how water or steam pipes have caused fires, and they are of course well below the 451
    I'll can always stand corrected, interesting article
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Not just an air gap under, but you need a gap around the egg, too. That table looks very snug to your egg!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    I don't have a table , but perhaps some silicone around the inner table edge would help insulate the table?
  • Offpiste
    original BGE small cypress table.  Will take pictures when tare down.  Good reason to build new table that will hold two.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Wow, you were lucky!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    the week spot to check for cracks is the lower corners of the lower vent, they will start there and across the bottom. stike is right about wood igniting at low temps as well, you dont want wood touching the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Fire
    That would be messed up if your burned down your parent's garage! :o
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Real good reason for the nest & handlers. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    I'm with @Mickey handlers on both mine.  I use cheap TV trays for side tables.  If they burned down no big loss.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    Mickey said:
    Real good reason for the nest & handlers. 
    If a spark came out the bottom would your entire wooden deck burn down? 

• Offpiste
    Here are pictures after clean burn and new gasket.  Have been busy with spring stuff and cooking on KJ classic.  Still like egg better.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Thanks for posting your Rutland gasket picture! 

The BGE is NEVER going to be capable of reaching 2,200 degrees at the dome level! But LOL - what do I Know??? - LOL it - just the same as the "boys" keep saying on @WMBD1470 in Peoria IL  in the mornings!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.