Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Off Subject - Season's FIRST CHILI

Options
Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here in Southeastern Massachusetts the air is cool and crisp. Some of the trees are starting to turn and my wife suggested I make a pot of Chili to kick off the, soon to be, Fall season. It's HOT and leaves the kind of burn you just kind of love to hate...
Have decided to try the next batch in a cast iron dutch oven on Mr. Egg.
As our friends down in Maine are heard to say from time to time, it's a wicked good finest kind of day![p]Carey

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    02_18_0013_54_04.jpg
    <p />Sundown, great idea... we have a cool spell a few weeks ago and I made a pot on the BGE - it's all gone and I think next week will be the perfect opportunity for a little more. The pictures are from last February - if you run out of recipes, try it some time. Have a great day![p]
    [ul][li]Gfw's Black Beanm Chili[/ul]
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Gfw, You put BEANS in your chili?
  • Sundown
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Mamma was a born and raised Texan just to put this into the proper context...she fed me and my sister chili when we had a cold like some mothers feed their offspring chicken soup. Even when we didn't have a cold she felt it was healthy and I grew up thinking that chili was supposed to be HOT! I also grew up thinking that it was normal to get either beans (usually pinto beans) or rice on the side to ladle your red over. Of course you had corn bread slathered with good fres butter too.
    Carey

• Sundown
    Options
    Gfw,
    Wow, that looks good thanks. I'm always ready to try variations of chili and yours looks great! The next batch will be in Mr. Egg for sure.[p]Carey

• Gfw
    Options
    J Appledog, I guess I'm one of few that like beans in my chili - the real difference is in the meat - steak instead of ground beef. The recipe on the link is the result of lots of attempts and experimenting and having a great start with ChefRD's chili recipe and Smokin Bob's additions.

[ul][li]Black Bean Chili[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Gfw,
    Well there's two of us who likes beans in our chili and it wouldn't be chili without them. I'm some what of a chili-affectionito and I swear the best chili was in a tavern in Missouri and it was made and served just from two pots. They would scoop up the red beans from one and then a scoop from the other which was a hot, somewhat greasy, rough ground beef with just a hint that a tomato had been in it's past somewhere! I swear I ate a bowl of that at least twice a week for four years during college. BTW I have a knock off recipe of Steak and Shake chili which you would bet was their secret recipe. I'll be glad to share that if anybody wants to email me their request. RRP

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Gfw, I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist giving you a hard time about those beans....[p]I was a judge at a fairly prestigious chili cook-off yesterday and I've had my quota for the month; some of them were truly awful! JCA[p]
  • Gfw
    Options
    J Appledog, this version isn't bad, actually quite good. The beans add a little flavor and body. My only problem is that I usually make it too hot - but, the amazing part is that is always disappears. [p]We make a big pot and freeze small containers - great for lunch. :-}

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Carey!
    The egg is made for chili! Like the Applegirl, I have been making chili without beans. I like to low smoke a big chunk of sirloin tip, or chuck roast for about an hour or so at 200 indirect. Then sear the meat (still uncooked inside). Refrigerating to cool will bring out the smoke flavor even more. Then I cut it into cubes, and start the chili on the stove while I add the ingredients....mostly beef broth, peppers and seasonings. Once all ingredients are combined and cooking, I transfer it uncovered to the egg for the long simmer. Just one more way to do it I suppose![p]I can totally relate to the need for chili now. The weather in DC is getting crisp....love this time of year.
    Have fun.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw
    Options
    Another chili recipe courtesy of RRP. Check out the link - recipe sounds like the fall time of the year!
    [ul][li]Knock Off Steak N Shake Chili[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Sundown,
    Yesterday was Gumbo for me. I had a wood-fired spit-roasted chicken that I had purchased on Saturday. I cooked the soup as I watch a Cleveland Sports dream unfold… The Browns with their first home in five years against the Steelers and the Tribe pounding the Yankees into submission. I does not get any better than that. Period.[p]I did miss the Andoulli and Tasso that I normally put in gumbo and there was a disturbing lack of seafood. However, it was a nice chicken gumbo.[p]Now that the weather is cooling off I am looking forward to the usual cold weather meals; Chille, Red beans and Rice, Pumkin Soup and Pasole Stew.

I have also been dying to a brisket, but the weekends have been extremely full and will continue to be for some time.[p]Go Tribe!
    RhumAndJerk[p]