Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too good not to post.

Eggcelsior
Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
I like running by Wegmans on the weekends when they have specialty cuts out because, invariably, some of those cuts get marked down and I strike gold. Here's one of those. Prime, 45 day dry-aged ribeye, reduced to 9.23 for a 1/2 lb "snack steak". This would have typically been about 20 bucks at 37/lb. I went with Pittsburgh rare and put the steak onto a 650 grill for 3 minutes per side, flipping every 30 seconds, right out of the fridge. Just S&P for seasoning. Amazing crust and "melt in your mouth" interior.

Comments

• CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Winner!
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    edited April 2015
    Great score and cook.  Better to be lucky than good any day.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Holy cow!  Nice find. 
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Nice score!
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Brilliant!  Had to break out the Google on the Pittsburgh Rare. I guess that's what I'm shooting for when I do my own steak especially going straight to a Caveman. The crust on yours here is fantastic. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Mouth watering pics!
  • Looks tremendous!
    Let me know when you see these sweet deals.
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    That looks phenomenal.  As my son will be in Baltimore for the next 5 years, he will need your address so he can drop by whenever you cook something like this.  If you'll stick to the specials I'll cover the cost of the meat for both of you.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    very strong 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Eggcelsior
    Foghorn said:
    That looks phenomenal.  As my son will be in Baltimore for the next 5 years, he will need your address so he can drop by whenever you cook something like this.  If you'll stick to the specials I'll cover the cost of the meat for both of you.
    @Foghorn, no problem! What's he doing in Bawlmer? I'm more than happy to bring him egged stuff on the regular.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    That's one fine lookin' steak! The resting pic is phenomenal!!

Wish I had a Wegman's. Closest one to me is 60 miles away in Mass. There's one near Mom (VA) and it's the only place I know, here or there, where I can buy nice 7-8 lb pork butts at $1.79/lb every day!! They always have a good stock too. Last time I visited, I brought two home with me, one is still in the freezer. Very good selection of other meats as well as poultry and fresh seafood.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn said:
    @Foghorn, no problem! What's he doing in Bawlmer? I'm more than happy to bring him egged stuff on the regular.

He's going to Peabody/Hopkins for a music performance/sound engineering dual degree.  They accept a max of 10 (fewer most years) who they think can keep up at the Peabody Conservatory in music performance and simultaneously keep up in the classes at the Johns Hopkins Whiting School of Engineering.  It's a 5 year program that has the option of a masters degree if you take a few extra classes in the 5th year in addition to the intership that year - so he is planning to do that.  He'll probably be living at/near Peabody rather than the Homewood campus freshman year.  Not sure after that. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Good golly - that is beautiful. I can almost taste it from over here. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,715
    Beautiful!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• Eggcelsior
    Foghorn said:
    Foghorn said:

He's going to Peabody/Hopkins for a music performance/sound engineering dual degree.  They accept a max of 10 (fewer most years) who they think can keep up at the Peabody Conservatory in music performance and simultaneously keep up in the classes at the Johns Hopkins Whiting School of Engineering.  It's a 5 year program that has the option of a masters degree if you take a few extra classes in the 5th year in addition to the intership that year - so he is planning to do that.  He'll probably be living at/near Peabody rather than the Homewood campus freshman year.  Not sure after that. 
    DAYUMMMMMM.

Good for your kid! I had a buddy that went for Clarinet. I can still remember how stressed he was about the audition week. Color me impressed.

In terms of living arrangements, does he want the traditional campus style(Homewood) or "artsy, hipster" style(Mt Vernon)? That's going to be the difference on a superficial level.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
     Pittsburgh aka black and blue. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Foghorn
    "In terms of living arrangements, does he want the traditional campus style(Homewood) or "artsy, hipster" style(Mt Vernon)? That's going to be the difference on a superficial level.

We're sorting out details.  He has until May 1 to commit.  He's also accepted to UT Austin for Electrical Engineering.  I think he has to live on campus at Peabody freshman year. 

Are there any condos in the area that are affordable and a decent investment?

San Antonio, TX

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Dude...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    @Foghorn I just did a cursory search and there are a few 1b/1b for under 200k. Finished row homes in the area go for 1m+ but you can find one that needs updating for under 200k(or ones that could have been in "The Wire" for 15-30k just 4 or 5 blocks away) Stay between Calvert and Charles above 24th for young families/student resident rentals for homewood and between the same streets south of mt royal for the same type of neighborhood. Mt Vernon will have more shops and there are a few music stores due to Peabody. Meyerhoff symphony hall is nearby along with Penn Station in case he wants walking  access to the train to go to DC/airport/anywhere on east coast(Amtrak station).
  • Foghorn
    Hmmm.  That's good food for thought.  Thanks!

San Antonio, TX

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Anaconda.....
    Seattle, WA
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    What?! No special technique?
    We need a name for this innovative cooking method. 
    One question though. Tong flip or spatula flip?

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Eggcelsior
    TigerTony said:
    What?! No special technique?
    We need a name for this innovative cooking method. 
    One question though. Tong flip or spatula flip?

Tong