Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Folks I tried....and failed. Forgive me.

Options
jonnymack
jonnymack Posts: 627
This weekend we had a big family dinner at the in-law's house pre-Easter. 10 T-Bone's purchased by the brother in-law. I called and asked him if he would like for me to fire up the egg. He felt he "had it covered" with the charcoal weber's at the father in law's house. I assured him it would be no problem to fire up the egg and that I thought I could make 10 work. He reiterated that he should be good. 

Well folks, I think we all know how this story ends. Overcooked steaks with really no flavor. I couldn't believe it. These were the first non-Egg steaks I've had outside of top steakhouse cuts. The wife confirmed I was not crazy and that she too felt the flavor was missing.  I will not fail again my friends. Next time I'm just taking those f***ers and doing them the right way. If for no other reason than my own greedy gluttonous cravings. No pics because why bother....
Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    so sad.  at least he bought them.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Funny how the egg ruins you for so many previously-tolerated foods.     
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • jonnymack
    Options
    It's amazing, I was really blown away. I guess I have been spoiling myself and didn't know it.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My advice is don't insult your BIL by insisting on egging the food.  I would invite them over to your place for a steak dinner.  The difference in taste between flavorless crap and good food should be obvious without having to say "BIL, you don't know how to cook a steak."
    Flint, Michigan
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I may ruin your kool-aid, but the failure was your BIL, not the Weber.  There is no magic fairy dust in the egg...you've probably just got better at Q'ing.  Weber is great at grilling as that is what it was made for.  People have and are still turning out great steaks off of it.

Your everyday average Joe will typically underseason and overcook a steak. 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ha ha caz- you beat me to it. It ain't the webber's fault- you just cook better than he does. I've cooked awesome steaks on 3 fire bricks and a rusty grate from a disposable $19.99 WM grill on the beach with Best of the West lump.

I would take my eggs over a webber any day but the webber kettle is a really good little grill (in the summer). 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    Ditto the others. It's not the tool, it's the skill of the craftsman. 
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    I relate this to my experience when I'm out shooting pics.  It never fails that someone mentions that my big lens "must take some great photos."  
    Well, I happen to be the one that knows how to actually USE the camera and lens set up.  When someone says that to me, I always think to myself, "Just because you have a fancy stove doesn't mean you can cook on it."  

I do think cooking on the BGE helps to enhance the food and the cooking experience.  It doesn't make me a better cook.  

Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Chicklet said:
    I relate this to my experience when I'm out shooting pics.  It never fails that someone mentions that my big lens "must take some great photos."  
    Well, I happen to be the one that knows how to actually USE the camera and lens set up.  When someone says that to me, I always think to myself, "Just because you have a fancy stove doesn't mean you can cook on it."  

I do think cooking on the BGE helps to enhance the food and the cooking experience.  It doesn't make me a better cook.  

I have a $3000 guitar and I can't play for crap

I am "that guy" in the guitar world.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Steak being overcooked had nothing to do with egg vs. Weber.

A steak off the Weber with the same fuel would taste the exact same as one from the egg - just because it is ceramic and costs more doesn't mean it puts out better food...in the hands of an expert a Weber kettle will turn out the same quality food.  

There are 2 kinds of eggers - those have had a bad cook and those that will have a bad cook.  Stay humble my friend - there may come a time when you overcook something you prepare for your family on the egg, and you may appreciate it if your BIL doesn't ask you if you think your $1000 grill ruins food better than the Weber.

This. Stay humble. Thank him for the dinner. The impact of eating a nonideal steak is over as soon as you choke down the last bite. The impact of strained family relations can last a long time. As you go forward there may be an opportunity to constructively help him improve his cooking in a way that promotes family unity. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Buy your bil a thermapen. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jonnymack
    Options
    Foghorn said:

A steak off the Weber with the same fuel would taste the exact same as one from the egg - just because it is ceramic and costs more doesn't mean it puts out better food...in the hands of an expert a Weber kettle will turn out the same quality food.  

There are 2 kinds of eggers - those have had a bad cook and those that will have a bad cook.  Stay humble my friend - there may come a time when you overcook something you prepare for your family on the egg, and you may appreciate it if your BIL doesn't ask you if you think your $1000 grill ruins food better than the Weber.

This. Stay humble. Thank him for the dinner. The impact of eating a nonideal steak is over as soon as you choke down the last bite. The impact of strained family relations can last a long time. As you go forward there may be an opportunity to constructively help him improve his cooking in a way that promotes family unity. 
    Agreed, I had posted something but apparently it had something hung up and never got approved. I absolutely ate it with a smile and thanked him. I probably hold back too much from cooking for fear of screwing it up. Next time I'm hoping I can just offer on the front end sooner and see if he'd like to join me in egging. I'd love to have a convert living right across the field from me.

• cazzy
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    Foghorn said:

Agreed, I had posted something but apparently it had something hung up and never got approved. I absolutely ate it with a smile and thanked him. I probably hold back too much from cooking for fear of screwing it up. Next time I'm hoping I can just offer on the front end sooner and see if he'd like to join me in egging. I'd love to have a convert living right across the field from me.
    Or just join him cooking on the Weber and go from there. 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I may ruin your kool-aid, but the failure was your BIL, not the Weber.  There is no magic fairy dust in the egg...you've probably just got better at Q'ing.  Weber is great at grilling as that is what it was made for.  People have and are still turning out great steaks off of it.

I guess I'm only 1/2 average.  I choose to under season as I feel a steak is best seasoned by the diner after the cook.  Here comes the 1/2 part.  I am more prone to under cook a steak than over cook it.  I think that comes from my impatience and the fact I will eat mine very rare.  I get so worried I might over-cook it that I pull it too soon.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• cazzy
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    cazzy said:

I guess I'm only 1/2 average.  I choose to under season as I feel a steak is best seasoned by the diner after the cook.  Here comes the 1/2 part.  I am more prone to under cook a steak than over cook it.  I think that comes from my impatience and the fact I will eat mine very rare.  I get so worried I might over-cook it that I pull it too soon.
    I approach cooking a lil differently.  I think I have developed a decent palate, so I season all food I serve properly.  If someone needs to grab salt or pepper, I personally think I didn't do my job. 

BBQ steak to me growing up was bland shoe leather with a good lighter fluid taste.  My dad is horrible and really doesn't care how food tastes.  An egg would be a waste for him, so the OP should ensure his BIL isn't like my dad.
  • Zmokin
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    Foghorn said:

And I agree with the post above about not insulting your BIL.  If you have to periodically eat a bad steak, do it for marital bliss.  And I personally wouldn't even try to serve him a good T-bone off the Egg.  I would instead serve him a prime rib off the egg first.  It also isn't good trying to prove you can cook a better T-bone than he can as the first thing you cook when he's a guest at your home.  Preparing a good T-bone for him can wait.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    As far as that goes you can create a delicious steak on a hobo stove or like @cazzy @The Cen-Tex Smoker said it's the cook not the vessel when we're talking steak. Plus for me a CI pan is invaluable when referring to a great steak. The egg is a great cooker but, an inexperienced cook can turn a beautiful prime cut into shoe leather just as easy on the egg. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zmokin
    Options
    I treat the egg like religion.  I don't talk about it unless you bring it up.

I have friends who turn out amazing Q on old rusted Weber kettles.  Not even a WSM.  I will glady drink their beer and eat their food.

They do the same at my place.  Eat my food and drink my beer.

In the end it is more about hanging out with friends and family.  When one of us screws up a cook we laugh about it and drink more beer.
    Yep, the food is icing on the cake, the cake is the company of friends and family, spending time with those you like and/or love. 

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I second the "Thermapen" idea, shed some light on cooking perfection for you dear BIL.  Plus it a very nice gift.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    you realize this doesn't matter as long as you can make 'guitar solo face'
  • MFDcap10
    MFDcap10 Posts: 4
    Options
    Stay humble my friend. Enjoy the most from each and every day. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Chicklet said:

No way.  You just need a better guitar...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited April 2015
    Options

I'll third or fourth or what ever the count is in say it was your BIL not the Weber, but in all honestly cooking 10 T-bones and having them all come out perfect can be a challenge, especially if he was trying to have everyone sit down to eat at the same time. He may have simply been in over his head.

A thermapen would have gone a long way on this cook.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Hungry Joe +1 to cook 10 "perfect" steaks is not an easy task especially for the timing aspect. I may get a bunch of disagreement here but, I prefer the feel method on steaks. Sure a Thermapen works but one can achieve similar results with the feel of the steak as it cooks. Better yet use both methods. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Yep... I treat the egg like religion.  I don't talk about it unless you bring it up.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    And as far as that goes a propane or gas burner with a CI pan will turn out some spectacular steaks. #KoolAidDebunked
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Zmokin
    Options
    @Hungry Joe +1 to cook 10 "perfect" steaks is not an easy task especially for the timing aspect. I may get a bunch of disagreement here but, I prefer the feel method on steaks. Sure a Thermapen works but one can achieve similar results with the feel of the steak as it cooks. Better yet use both methods. 
    The "feel" method works great,

when you know "What the eff to feel for".

I don't normally cook steaks for others to eat, I cook for me to eat.
    I go with the if it looks done, it might be, pull it off quick, cut into it, oops, still too raw in the middle (all red, no pink), throw it back on for a minute or two.  Repeat process until it looks done enough, or eat it when it's red because I'm hungry and can't wait.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Zmokin said:
    cazzy said:

I approach cooking a lil differently.  I think I have developed a decent palate, so I season all food I serve properly.  If someone needs to grab salt or pepper, I personally think I didn't do my job. 

BBQ steak to me growing up was bland shoe leather with a good lighter fluid taste.  My dad is horrible and really doesn't care how food tastes.  An egg would be a waste for him, so the OP should ensure his BIL isn't like my dad.
    If someone needs to grab salt or pepper, I personally think I didn't do my job. 

I strongly disagree, Caz.  Everyone's palette is genetically different. I am a huge under taster so I need bigger, bolder flavors to enjoy my meals. Janell has a very sharp palette and can taste way more nuance in food and wine. She thinks it's "way too salty" when I'm adding salt like a freak. 

I can add a little salt and pepper and enjoy the meal exactly as she does by adding nothing. Otherwise, we are in the car on the way home and she's gushing about how great it was and I'm going "meh"