Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Shot at the Perry's Pork Chop

Options
TexanEgger
TexanEgger Posts: 37
I've had the lunch pork chop at our local Perry's Steakhouse, and was immediately stricken with a desire to do it myself on the Egg.  This weekend I took a shot at it.  There are a lot of different ways that people have done this, and I tried to gather the common elements and then try for a 'best of breed' recipe.  I think I can say that it turned out very well for a first effort.  I learned a ton on this forum so thanks to you all.  

I started with a boneless ribeye roast that I happened to have in the freezer and went from there. (I know.  I'll go bone-in next time but it was my first shot so I was primarily concerned about method than perfection.  Plus, it was of sufficient width/height to work...)  I cut the roast into 4 '4-finger' chops. I then made a basic brine with a few extra aromatics and brined the chops for ~2.5 hours.  

I made a rub that leaned more toward a poultry-based combo (thyme/sage, etc) than my traditional rib/brisket one.  I even took a mortar/pestle and ground up some bacon for the rub.  Next I slathered the chops with bacon grease and applied the rub.  (I like bacon!)

Fired up the Egg to 215-220, indirect with the platesetter legs-up. Chops were put on and I pulled at ~125.  

The really fun part was when I did the finish sear in a cast iron skillet with bacon grease. My wonderful wife also made an unbelievable Green Bean Mushroom Sauce Casserole, which completed the meal fantastically!  

Heat + Iron + Bacon + Meat = YUM.

Plating turned out very well, and eating was fantastic.  This is now added into my regular rotation, and will get better!

Happy Easter all.

H/T to Cazzy & many others for the inspiration for this effort, as it got me going.  Again, this place is a wealth of knowledge and Eggsperience and I'm grateful. 

TexanEgger
Some Grills Are More Equal Than Others!

Comments