Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how can you grill shrimp while doing a reverse sear?

Options
Going to reverse sear a steak tonight on the egg, but I also want do some shrimp skewers for the meal.  If I throw the skewers on during the 700 degree sear for a minute or two, will they turn out edible?  I know I could cook them during the indirect phase, but they would be cold by the time the meat is ready.  Also thought about closing the vents after the sear and letting them cook while the meat rests.  Any advice?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    When I first got my first Egg 700 / 800 / 900+ was important and Wow Factor. 
    But in the past 6 years my a Eggs have not went over 550 unless by accident. 
    And yes I cook pizza. 
    If I wanted the high heat like you are saying I would just caveman the steaks (app1200). 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• thegooddocta
    thegooddocta Posts: 264
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Unless you want a little char on the shrimp, I'd just foil wrap them with some butter, garlic etc and throw them on in the foil package for 2-3 mins max then pull them off and leave in the foil until ready to eat - carry over cook should bring them right to done... It will be a little bit of an experiment though.
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • Mbry8381
    Mbry8381 Posts: 11
    Options
    I left the grill up at 650-700 right after steaks. It took maybe a minute a side for the shrimp. I flipped them when they started to curl. Everybody said they were the best shrimp they ever had. 
    XL, Chesterfield VA
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My friend KennyG used to cook them hot and fast.  I watched him cook them this way once when I was still learning to use the Egg.  Here is a copy/paste from the Naked Whiz web site and link to where it can be found.

KennyG's Shrimp To Die For

From Ken Gajda, known to all of us in the Big Green Egg Forum as KennyG. Ken passed away in 2006 and will always be remembered and missed. This is his recipe for shrimp which shows the high-temperature cooking possibilities with ceramic cookers. KennyG posted this recipe on the Big Green Egg Forum on July 15, 1998. From Kenny:"I had guests fighting over these at a recent party.They will also have a nice little pepper bite to them. "

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 lbs 21 to 25 count shrimp, should be 32-36 shrimp
    • 1/2 cup Wishbone "Robusto" Italian salad dressing
    • 1 Tbs honey
    • 1 Tbs Jamaican jerk sauce - best with Mrs. Dogs. Have also tried Grand Anse and Busha Browne's
    • 1 dash worcestershire sauce
    • 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper (tellicherry)

Preparation Directions:

• Remove the shells from the shrimp and put 8-9 shrimp on a metal skewer. Skewer twice to make sure it does not flop on the skewer.
    • Mix the other ingredients and stir thoroughly with a wire wisk to completely dissolve the honey.
    • "Paint" the mixture on both sides of the shrimp skewers with a basting brush 30-60 minutes before cooking.

Cooking Directions:

Crank up the HIGHEST heat you can muster with your grill and if you are into smoking chips, I suggest guava and mesquite. 2 minutes or less per side will do it (relative to 21-25 ct. size) and the honey will carmelize quickly for a crispy outside. As a precaution against overcooking, go straight from the fridge to the grill.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/thermometer/kennygshrimp.htm
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options

Crappy pic, but this is what I did last night.  I had a hot fire (450-500) that I put my tuna steaks directly over.  After the first flip I dumped my shrimp in this basket I use on the grill, it has a detachable handle. I cooked the shrimp like they were in a sauté pan, flipping them and moving them over the direct hot fire, then off so I could time them with the tuna.  This is an easy way to cook shrimp, easier to me than managing skewers if you have something else on as well.  I use the basket for veg too.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sounds like a reason to buy another egg to me 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I threw some on right out of the freezer (bag of head-off-deveined-shell-on from Sam's Club) at ~600 for  ~1min/side took them off and they were perfect.