Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hog Jowl...any advice or experts?

Options
I was recently at a restaurant (Lambert's) in MO...I ordered the hog jowl which was my first time. I really enjoyed it...much like bacon only thicker. Has anyone tried doing jowl on the egg and any advice? I'd like to try and find some cheeks and make some jowl bacon.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    It's called guanciale. Best stuff there is.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Pork jowl is usually cured and (sometimes) smoked pig cheek.  You can cook it anyway bacon is cooked.  Pork cheek can be cooked like anything with a lot of fat and connective tissue (like ribs or butt). 
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @Jonnysouth- I'm certainly no expert, however I have seen a little jowl meat cooked in my day. That said, a question if I may. Do you have access to fresh jowl or the store bought presmoked? I'm hoping that you say fresh.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    Options
    Well I figured I'd have to purchase one from the store but I could probably poke around locally and find access to a fresh one. You can see from my picture that it was served like bacon strips.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Jonnysouth- I'm certainly no expert, however I have seen a little jowl meat cooked in my day. That said, a question if I may. Do you have access to fresh jowl or the store bought presmoked? I'm hoping that you say fresh.
    What if he did say yes? I might be persuaded to try this.....
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Guanciale is the cured form, usually a savory cure, unless you farg it up like me and cure three cheeks and remember a week later you added farging sugar. But i digress

a fresh chunk will be two or three pounds. Probably skin off, but if skin on i would consider leaving it. 

I have no clue how to prepare it, except i would imagine you'd treat it like belly, and do it any number of ways. Slower, to render

be careful to clean it properly. You will feel a very grainy grouping of translucent mealy harder bits, almost popcorn kernel sized. Thise are glands you'll wanna trim off

as steven said, it's a damn delicacy. Beats the hell out of pancetta for flavor. 

If you get two, off a whole hog purchase, i would STRONGLY suggest doing a savory cure on one. Use the salt-box method (makes measuring cure irrelevant), and add garlic and savory herbs, pepper, etc.  Then hang to dry for a week or two. Lasts indefinitely in the fridge. And i mean, like, literally a year or more if you dont use it up right away. And you wont

use It to make carbonara. Use it in lieu of pancetta or bacon or salt pork. Basically like a fat with meat bonus. 

To cook a fresh one, again. No experience. But i'd try it like belly. Google is your friend on that one, not me. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    During sugar shack season (cabane à sucre), we boil slices in milk and then grill like bacon.  It is called "oreille de crisse".

Options
    Bump for recapitulation when time allows.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Bump it. Bump it real good.....