Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA - use a torque wrench to tighten the bands... and how to eliminate under/overbite?

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731

My LBGE base cracked recently, got the replacement under warranty, and installed it. Previously, I had tightened the bands with a regular wrench and thought things were good, but I had a significant underbite. Tried the grandviksten method of compensating with cut washers, but it didn't quite work. Tried a few more times to correct it, then just gave up since it didn't really affect how the egg cooked.

Found instructions at  grill-repair dot com (google "big-green-egg-spring-assisted-band-replacement-instructions")

and noted the mention of some kind of spacers. I figured that the bands were meant to be flush with the rim of the base and dome respectively, so I did that and tightened the bands. Egged a ribeye at about 450ish, and noted that the top band slipped a bit when I pushed on it. meant to tighten it up after it cooled down.

I had bought a torque wrench from Harbor Freight on sale some time ago. Ordered a deep 1/2" socket with 3/8" drive from Amazon and went to tighten the bands up some more (10 ft lbs as per BGE recs). I was a little surprised to find that the bands weren't as tight as I thought they were. Took a few turns to get them to 10ft lbs.

My underbite has not recurred after 1 cook. I'll wait and see what happens after a few more cooks. I removed the cut washers when I installed the new base. So far so good. Torque wrenches are $12 at HF right now, if you get their coupons. The socket was $5 from Amazon Prime.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments