Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paint

Options
Has anyone used high temp Paint on their egg? I'm considering stenciling a design but wanted to run er up the flagpole.

Thanks!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    No, but try it and see what happens. At best it will just burn off. OTOH if you have an infared thermometer measure the temp during one of your highest cooks and then compare that to the level of heat according to the high heat paint can. Good luck! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    OP - welcome.

What is it you want on your egg?  I'm not very creative - I don't look at things like eggs and think "Hey, I can draw something on that".

I'd like to see it if you end up doing it.
    Phoenix 
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Paint a picture of a BGE on it...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Lacquer  thinner can take it off but might damage the egg finish. Try a little paint on the cap and then try the lacquer thinner on it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeMyBitchUp
    Options
    Cool.  My thought is to paint it like a michigan state football helmet since it's already got the green background. Great call on testing the cap, I do have a smokeware too, so no biggie if that got ruined.
  • SmokeMyBitchUp
    Options
    That gold egg is shamazing 
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    Options
    Yes. It's been done 

the egg never really gets to high temp. Have a ball
  • RRP
    Options
    Another thought comes to mind of a cautious concern if your egg has any flaws in the fired glaze ceramic surface. Some glaze on some eggs will develop minute cracks called crazing and others such as my medium has tiny holes in the glazed surface about the size of pin heads. While the design you wish to paint on may just burn off if too hot, but the shadow left behind may not look so cool. Good luck what ever you decide since it is your egg! Will that affect your warranty if your decision results in a claim- I don't have a clue.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    High heat paint is made to survive much higher temps than the outside of your egg will ever see.  Consider a better team though ;)  prep is everything with paint. 
    RRP said:
    Another thought comes to mind of a cautious concern if your egg has any flaws in the fired glaze ceramic surface. Some glaze on some eggs will develop minute cracks called crazing and others such as my medium has tiny holes in the glazed surface about the size of pin heads. While the design you wish to paint on may just burn off if too hot, but the shadow left behind may not look so cool. Good luck what ever you decide since it is your egg! Will that affect your warranty if your decision results in a claim- I don't have a clue.
    Great point @rrp, if memory serves you use a medium for baking only????  Do you think that is a factor?. I typically don't do a ton of High heat cooks.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Lots of folks get egg sweat because of grease or whatever seeping thru the ceramics. Wonder what would happen to the paint if that started happening. 
  • Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    When I use to tail gate at Ravens games a guy use to bring two large eggs and they were painted purple, he said he had a automotive paint shop do the work. He was there a couple of years with them and they always looked great.
    Gambrills,Maryland

• RRP
    edited April 2015
    Options
    RRP said:
    Great point @rrp, if memory serves you use a medium for baking only????  Do you think that is a factor?. I typically don't do a ton of High heat cooks.
    Yes my medium has only been used for baking cakes and cookies and Monkey Bread  and has never had any meat cooked in it. Additionally I have only used Ozark Oak lump, never any wood for smoke and it  is 13 years old. It even still has the original gaskets! I have never done a burn out, but the inside is still just tan in color. Proves to me the blackness comes from meat.
  • SmokeMyBitchUp
    Options
    I know a guy who can help you out on a replacement gasket when you're ready ;)
  • PlanoPokes79
    Options

This was a pro golfer that had this one done a few years ago.

• RRP
    Options

This was a pro golfer that had this one done a few years ago.

That is super cool and was the work of a gifted artist. In fact it looks like air brush art. I wonder a) what kind of paint he used as it would have to be high temperature and b) what the egg looks like today.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options

RRP said:
    That is super cool and was the work of a gifted artist. In fact it looks like air brush art. I wonder a) what kind of paint he used as it would have to be high temperature and b) what the egg looks like today.
    I don't know for sure, but the only "high temp" paint I have seen is for 1200 to 1500 F.  Stuff to paint metal BBQs, exhaust headers, etc.  I would think the temp on the outside of the Egg is never ever really all that hot.  Yes, it gets very warm to the touch, but I've never had mine where I thought it exceeded the temp to boil water on it's surface.  I've worked with electronics that were routinely heated to boiling water temps (100C) and it wasn't until they exceeded about 70C that I felt they were getting a little too warm to carry in my hand.  Heck, a black car sitting in the sun probably gets hotter than my egg does while cooking.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• RRP
    Options
    Zmokin said:

RRP said:
    I don't know for sure, but the only "high temp" paint I have seen is for 1200 to 1500 F.  Stuff to paint metal BBQs, exhaust headers, etc.  I would think the temp on the outside of the Egg is never ever really all that hot.  Yes, it gets very warm to the touch, but I've never had mine where I thought it exceeded the temp to boil water on it's surface.  I've worked with electronics that were routinely heated to boiling water temps (100C) and it wasn't until they exceeded about 70C that I felt they were getting a little too warm to carry in my hand.  Heck, a black car sitting in the sun probably gets hotter than my egg does while cooking.
    I gotcha - like I said last night "OTOH if you have an infared thermometer measure the temp during one of your highest cooks and then compare that to the level of heat according to the high heat paint can."
  • PlanoPokes79
    Options
    RRP - a) not sure, thought they said it was an autobody guy that did it. b) would be good to see how it has held up.
  • SmokeMyBitchUp
    Options
    Man what a great response, thanks guys.  I do have an infrared.  I'll try to post some dome interior vs  dome exterior temp pics.  I'm sure way lower than what the paint could handle but probably interesting nonetheless.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Stove Bright high heat paint, for example, (comes in many colors) can handle up to 1200F.  The outside of the egg will never get as hot as the inside, and if you manage to get the outside that hot, you'll have more serious problems. 
    Options
    Ron - Do you find the medium is the right size for a baking egg?  or do you wish you had gone large?  Sorry for the OT question.  
    Phoenix