Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Devastated

Options

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If we are going to do the donation thing @cazzy, @Little_Steven, etc.,

I still have the groupbuy account with Paypal so people could use that and I'll accept then send the funds as a "friends and family" so no one is dinged on fees. I'll post screenshots for proof if anyone wants that during the process.
  • ekuapa
    ekuapa Posts: 128
    Options
    hmmmmm

How old is the boy that claimed the dog did it?
    Indeed... seems like the boy might be framing the dog.. But... My father use to have a Rolex collection and always heard a lot of fuzz over my uncles and him about this, when i was 6-8 yrs i opened one to see how they were on the inside and compared to a toy watch i had (lol). Since i didn't want to get grounded for it i "dispose" of evidence on a flower pot... Anyways long story short, few time later my parents discover my investigations but thought it was funny and let this away. To this date (20 something years later) they still make fun of me about this. If @shannonlcorum 's kid did this on purpose i think she should just make him do extra lawn work and have this as a good memory.
    Southaven, MS.
    BGE L
  • Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    Sorry to hear @shannonlcorum
    Gambrills,Maryland

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,105
    Options
    Those pics made me sick to my stomach.  Everyone processes things in their own way.  A lot of us sacrafice other things for our "luxury" items.  Seeing one destroyed sucks.

I would probably cry to if one of my eggs was destroyed.  Keep your chin up.  In the end its a material item.

I hope it doesn't ruin your holiday!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Eggcelsior I made my sunglasses comment in jest. (I really did lose them and she really was mad). That said, I'd be in for 20. I'd be fine with your idea of group buy pay pal. 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Hey OP

bge has been extremely kind to other forum members when they've dropped their eggs. It's clear you're a big fan of BGE - why not email their customer service department and inquire if there's anything they could do?  I know of two times eggs have been destroyed and they've kindly stepped beyond the boundaries of their warranty fine print to help. Worth a try?

I would link this thread when I did it...

best
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Kmooose
    Kmooose Posts: 35
    Options
    Deff agree with the other posters, I thought at first your dog died or escaped. I left mine out back once and left for a short period, same thing happened and it started raining. Dog was able to dig out of the yard....thank god he just posted up on the front porch. I don't ever leave my dogs out back if I'm leaving the house. Sorry for your loss on the grill though.
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    OP - Don't sweat people getting worked up, it's the internet, you will always find someone who gets offended or goes a little overboard for these kinds of things. Me, I don't see any harm in throwing some cash your way
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options

I still have the groupbuy account with Paypal so people could use that and I'll accept then send the funds as a "friends and family" so no one is dinged on fees. I'll post screenshots for proof if anyone wants that during the process.

If that happens  please post here again  when it's a definite GO.   I'll need details PM'd or public when it IS a go  as I don't know how paypay grp buy works..   thx
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    A few years ago, my LBGE got knocked over in a wind storm. I called my insurance agent. The insurance company sent me a check a few days later.  Has the OP tried that?
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options

The dog didn't carry Liability, just FYI...   Hey,  if the folks who really think the kid set up the dog want to ,  we can fund sending the kid to a military school

If we send him to BGE "Academy"  he just gets drinks/food & a nice swag bag..

LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @shannonlcorum I just saw the pics of your Humpty Dumpty. I threw up a little bit :sick: 
    That's definitely a bummer.  :frowning: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Handcyclist
    Options
    Your note simply confirmed our concerns around this house with our eggs!  We live in town and fenced in yards are not looked on with favor--fences destroy the neighborhood ambiance.  Our Sheltie is a wonderful dog.  True to his breed he is a runner--and runs in circles--not good around eggs!  He is always on a leash or tied due to his impulsive running after squirrels. cats, deer, bear--and yes, he has been sprayed by skunks--twice.  The small town we live in is near a national forest.  Your story will be a constant reminder to me to make sure our eggs are safe from not only our dog but our toddler grandchildren who can do the unexpected in a mini-second!  Thanks for sharing!  Ignore all the criticism--when emotions and thoughts are yours, expressing them in words and ways that are sincere and genuine to you is more important than trying to please others.    
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    Wow, this thread has gone all over the place. I'm sorry if my choice of words--devastated, catastrophe, etc.--offended anyone. That was my initial feeling when I saw my egg busted all over the ground. I bought it with money I saved up over quite some time and I loved it. I didn't know how it had happened until my son said the dog had pulled it off. My concern immediately went to my dog. Yes, I would have been more upset over him than the egg if he'd been hurt or worse. I don't leave my dogs tied up all the time. I have a fenced back yard. I also have a chow who is only restrained when I have company out back because she likes to bite. She hates water so the pool is no concern and she's got the run of the yard. When I'm outback, my bull dog is not chained. He runs the yard with my chow. I never even considered he'd get tangled around the egg nest. He never really goes near it. But accidents happen and I'm certain just about everyone on this forum has had something bad happen because they didn't think out the possibility ahead of time. I did not come on here asking for any money. It was really just to vent because I'd lost something I loved and thought fellow egg lovers would understand. I appreciate all the kind words from and the gesture for a fund. I did not expect anything like that. I can understand the skepticism of some. People get scammed all the time. Will I get another egg? You bet. It will take me a while, but I loved cooking on mine too much not to get one. My mini is great--for me, but won't help much when I'm cooking for 6+. My wood fired oven is nice, but takes 2 hours to get up to temp and uses a crap load of wood. It's not something you can plan to cook on at the last minute. I reserve that for pizza parties and such when I have all day to fool with it. The only thing I wanted from this group was a little encouragement and understanding. For those of you who provided it, thank you. That's worth far more to me than money.
    You don't owe anyone apology.You can be devastated if you feel need to be don't worry about what people say they will pick you pieces. People just can't comment without being negative.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Agree w/ @MaskedMarvel
    Call the Mothership (800.793.2292 press 5 for customer service), Talk to Bruce. Tell your story. Nothing to lose. My bet you are picking up a bottom tomorrow. It's right off 85 (first exit ITP) at spaghetti junction. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• Luuster
    Luuster Posts: 19
    edited April 2015
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    First off, I'm sorry that your Egg is in pieces.  
    But let me say that this is a better outcome than what I was expecting when I first started reading.  Thank God your bulldog puppy is alright.  I was hoping not to read how he choked himself out on the leash around the Egg. 

The Egg can be replaced.  Cheers!
    lol, a dog too....

Just kidding, glad the dog is okay...
    Perhaps you can start a thread and see if there are people who seek a challenge int 
    fixing it...
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    @shannonlcorum. Like @tcampbell said, don't worry about the negative comments. I too would be devastated if one of my Eggs was knocked over and got broken. 
    Haters gonna hate......
    GWN
  • Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    I agree with @THEBuckeye , only two answers you will get yes or no. Never hurts to try.
    Gambrills,Maryland

• probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    swordsmn said:

The dog didn't carry Liability, just FYI...  

That doesn't make sense.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options

On the good news side,

looks like the Nest survived. =)

And, FWIW, I don't understand the outrage some express over your choice of words.  It isn't like the Newspapers don't do it with headline news every day of the year.  Your instantly felt emotions can be pretty strong when something bad happens.  Later on, retrospection may reveal it wasn't as bad as you initially felt, but that doesn't change how you felt at the moment it happened.

I remember the horrible sinking feeling in my gut, when I had my mobilehome for sale and the inspector showed me dry rot damage on the deck and termites snacking on scrap lumber the previous owner had tossed under the mobilehome.  I was pretty mortified and expected to be financially screwed.  But later, when I removed the scrap lumber and replaced the bad wood on the deck and discovered it was only about a $200 set-back and it didn't kill the sale of the mobilehome, did I realize my initial reaction was much stronger than it needed to be.  But hindsight still didn't change how I felt in the moment.  It may influence how I react in the future, as we learn from our life experiences, but it will never change how I felt in the past.

If you felt devastated at the loss of your egg, that moment in your life will never change, only your hindsight of it will.

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    My dome fell off minutes before I was putting Jerk on for out of town family fell 20 feet, landed right side up, unscathed. I lugged the dome up the deck stairs and manually put the dome on the grid for the cook. You got to do what you got to do.

New Albany, Ohio 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Like we are gonna trust your sorry ass?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Like we are gonna trust your sorry ass?
    If I recall, I snagged a few of henapple's beers for you while you were tending to the lamb last year. Come on now, that makes us family.
  • Little Steven
    Options

Nevermind...I trust you.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    @shannonlcorum. I think the adult beverages have started up again..So hang in there..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Little Steven
    Options
    So how do we do this thing? I think it would be a nice gesture but whether or not anyone chooses to or not should be totally up to them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hibby said:
    Always annoyed when someone uses terms like "devastated" and "state of shock" to describe something so inconsequential as the loss of a grill. I begin reading with true concern and sadness only to find I've been deceived by the title. This won't be popular I'm sure, but grow up!
    Wow, I wonder how annoyed you must be by the news media.

I remember when the news media began blasting Bush for the "lack of" Weapons of Mass Destruction that Saddam Hussein supposedly had.  I'm pretty sure back then they were using the WMD phrase correctly in it's application to nuclear and chemical and biological warfare.

I know I was quite annoyed when the media decided to use the same phrase "wepons of mass destruction" for the Boston Marathon Massacre, by two terrorists with "pressure-cooker" bombs.  And I'm not saying the BMM wasn't a terrible thing, but if "pressure-cooker" bombs are now WMD's, then I'm quite sure Saddam had weapons far worse, so Bush wasn't a liar by this standard.

Truth is, the media was way out of line using the description of WMD for a little pressure cooker bomb.

Yet, you are annoyed about our fellow Egghead who actually used the word devastated per the definition.

Full Definition of DEVASTATE

transitive verb
    :  to bring to ruin or desolation by violent action <a country devastated by war>
    :  to reduce to chaos, disorder, or helplessness :  overwhelm <devastated by grief> <her wisecrack devastated the class>

I'm pretty sure the example of a "wisecrack devastating a class" falls within the range of what Ms. ShannyShooShoo was trying to convey.  I imagine at the moment, she felt overwhelm-ed.

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• mtp
    mtp Posts: 26
    Options
    you are in our prayers
    LBGE, Plate setter, Pizza stone, Bisson flame thrower, Replaced by a Milwaukee heat gun,  Maverick ET-732, Bluetherm, and a bunch of beer

Cumming, Ga