Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pit Controller Question

Options
For those in the northern climate of bitter cold winters how do the controllers work. Does the heat back draft cause frost/ice to build up on the fan or cause the fan to freeze up?

Thanks for the thoughts.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I'm north of you about another 300 miles. I use my Stoker in -20°F without any problems.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @bigguy136 I do not know much about the stoker, do you like it and would you buy another one if it died?

NW IA

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Dang...I was worried about my Stoker when we were in the 20's.....we (or is it us) southerners are such wimps when it comes to cold.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    Stoker's are awesome
    Gambrills,Maryland

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    My cheap Auber hates the cold.  The electronics will go haywire in the extreme cold.  I will usually have to wrap the controller in a couple towels to keep it warm so it doesn't malfunction.  I know others have made heat boxes for them but it seems like too much work for how little it gets used
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @WeberWho? Thanks, I have heard from a guy in the next town over that has a flameboss and over Christmas break the fan started building up frost so can't imagine a 16 hr butt cook would last very long. 

NW IA

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Pitmaster has the fan remotely mounted, so it wouldn't be a problem with that.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    @bigguy136 I do not know much about the stoker, do you like it and would you buy another one if it died?

I would. I bought a second egg and I love that my only purchase was another fan and pit temp probe.

I'm also working with making my own probes for my Stoker and I will be doing a write-up when I have everything done. For a preview of making probes, the Stoker unit uses thermocouple K-wire. Basically it's two bi-metal wires. If anything happens to the probe wire (gets melted), cut the wire off, strip the shielding, twist the wire together and stuff it back down the stainless probes. It's that easy.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @Brisket_Fanatic - I 've used my CyberQ WiFi at -20F or so a couple of times with no issues and I've also used it a lot of times in the zero degree range. The LCD screen on it cycles very slow due to the cold but it still performed just fine. I do get frozen condensation under the fan but as long as the fan is running 20-30% it has never frozen on me. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • grey_bri
    grey_bri Posts: 46
    Options
    I froze up my Guru on a slow cook of about 175 to 200. had to replace the fan and it was only about 20 f.
    Owen Sound On. For now 1large 2mini's 1exl and 1 6burner Vermont Casting
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    What are the little numbers 0,1,2,3,4 with the switch? Does it stay within the 5 degrees as advertised?

NW IA

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @minniemoh Thanks, as long as it's not damaging the fan it's probably OK.

NW IA

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @grey_bri Thanks. Guessing when's closer to freezing temp with more moisture this will happen. Thanks

NW IA

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

What are the little numbers 0,1,2,3,4 with the switch? Does it stay within the 5 degrees as advertised?

The 0-4 controls the damper on the fan.  The variable speed fan is pretty powerful and can run everything from a BGE-Small to a 28 cubic foot Rebel.  On the 120 you can manually override the fan speeds, but on the 110, you just put it on the 1 for a BGE.

Yes, it will hold the temps......but remember, it's holding the temp exactly in the immediate airspace of the probe.  The temp varies quite a bit from the dome to the grate, and around the plate setter legs, drip pans, and meat.  Don't be surprised when it's 10-20F off what your dome temp gauge or Maverick says.  It takes some time to figure where to place the probe to make it work best for you.  I clip it to the grate above a PS leg, away from the meat and/or drip pan.

Send me an email if you want to talk more about them, or any other unit.

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @stlcharcoal Thanks for the info - email sent!

NW IA

• marine_man
    Options
    grey_bri said:
    I froze up my Guru on a slow cook of about 175 to 200. had to replace the fan and it was only about 20 f.
    In sub-freezing temperatures you need to orient the fan vertically, such that the rotating part of the fan is above the outlet.  I've done this the last 2 years and have had no issues at 0F to -20F
  • cfunk418
    cfunk418 Posts: 1
    Options

While smoking 3 butts on a -5 degree day in January using the CyberQ Wifi, I had the fan freeze up on me. I was skeptical of this occurring, so I frequently monitored the fan output % from a warmer environment. A dropping pit temp and fan output readings of 100% indicated "frezzure" only a couple times. Knocking the ice loose only took a couple seconds, with no permanent damage occurring.

Next time cooking in these temps, I am going to try setting the temp alarm with email notification 15 degrees below target pit temp. Will not prevent "frezzure", but reduce actively monitoring.

- SE Iowa

• UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options
    bigguy136 said:

I would. I bought a second egg and I love that my only purchase was another fan and pit temp probe.

I'm also working with making my own probes for my Stoker and I will be doing a write-up when I have everything done....

Now this sounds interesting!!
    With detailed instructions, pictures and parts list and availability, please.
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.