Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a little help with bread....

Options
I'm making a focaccia bread for Easter.  Ideally I would make it all up on the day I'm serving but this just isn't convenient for me.  I was wondering if I make the dough on Saturday would I put it in the fridge before or after the first rise?  Just not sure the best way to handle the dough.  Thanks :relaxed: 
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Hang in there…there are some bread experts on this forum. They were a big help to me in the past.
    (post bump)
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • joytreg
    joytreg Posts: 14
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    I'm making a focaccia bread for Easter.  Ideally I would make it all up on the day I'm serving but this just isn't convenient for me.  I was wondering if I make the dough on Saturday would I put it in the fridge before or after the first rise?  Just not sure the best way to handle the dough.  Thanks :relaxed: 
    No problem - you can put your dough in the fridge. I would do it before the first rise. Your dough will continue to rise in the fridge, just a bit slower because of the cooler temperature.  Make sure you take it out early, though, so it has time to get up to room temperature and do a proper second rise. Once it reaches room temp punch it down and set it up for the second rise. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    i agree w @joytreg
    I also proof my yeast in 105* water, with a pinch of sugar, to make sure it's working well.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    joytreg said:
    GrannyX4 said:
    No problem - you can put your dough in the fridge. I would do it before the first rise. Your dough will continue to rise in the fridge, just a bit slower because of the cooler temperature.  Make sure you take it out early, though, so it has time to get up to room temperature and do a proper second rise. Once it reaches room temp punch it down and set it up for the second rise. 
    Thanks @Joytreg.  I got it.  Nothing like the smell of fresh bread out of the oven to great your guest.  :relaxed: 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    in the old days people had dough boxes. flour goes in box mid week, dough was made saterday and rose in the box, some was cooked that day, some the next, box was cleaned and bread stored in box, repeat. all at room temp. you shouldnt have any problems with the fridge. ive only overnighted in the fridge like was stated but i do have my great grandmothers dough box from way back when to try an overnight or two someday =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    in the old days people had dough boxes. flour goes in box mid week, dough was made saterday and rose in the box, some was cooked that day, some the next, box was cleaned and bread stored in box, repeat. all at room temp. you shouldnt have any problems with the fridge. ive only overnighted in the fridge like was stated but i do have my great grandmothers dough box from way back when to try an overnight or two someday =)
    Great history lesson.  My grandmother and mom never had a dough box and I never heard of them.  Interesting bit of nostalgia.  At our house if it was Monday it was wash day and bread making.  Loved to come home from school to the warm smell of bread. :relaxed: 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    It all sounds so great that I'll volunteer to help eat it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • GrannyX4
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone

Come on down, the weather is mighty fine.  The bread will be dipped in this dipping sauce.  I just made it and it is outstanding.  :relaxed: 

Loaded Olive Oil Dipping Sauce

3 sun-dried tomato halves (about tbsp. reconstituted and chopped)
    2 artichoke hearts
    12 medium black olives
    1 garlic clove
    1 cup extra light tasting olive oil, divided
    2 anchovy fillets
    1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
    1/4 tsp. black pepper
    2 rounded tsp. chopped fresh basil
    1/4 rounded cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Soak sun-dried tomato in boiling water for about 5 minutes (skip this step if using tomato packed in olive oil). Pat dry and finely chop. Finely chop artichoke hearts and olives. Mince garlic.

Preheat a small skillet or saucepan on medium to medium low heat and add 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add anchovies and red pepper flakes. Cook for  minute or so, stirring to dissolve anchovies. Add garlic, artichoke, olives, black pepper, and cook for a couple minutes. Be careful not to let the garlic get too brown. Add the remaining oil. Remove from heat. Gently stir in basil and cheese when oil is no longer hot. Allow to rest at room for about 20 minutes or so for the flavors to meld. Serve with crusty bread.  Serves 4 to 6. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Granny, do what joytreg said to do.  I make my pizza dough and let it rise in the fridge for up to 1-2 days.  Never had a problem and the dough and it has a good flavor.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx