Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I will still kind of be an egghead...

Options

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    How else could you explain the brisket knife fold :tongue: Definitely a Terminator. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Oh, that isn't Cazzy in his first picture?  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Matt nope that's Scottie aka SGH
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    :pensive: But, then again @sgh  is 85 years old, eats a whole cow a day and works on an oil rig 23 hours a day :tongue: So, maybe that is Cazman. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This post could have read "I am going from an Egghead to a dickhead"  =)

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    This post could have read "I am going from an Egghead to a dickhead"  =)
    That wouldn't be an April Fools joke then... It would simply be, just telling the truth.  

:giggle: 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,096
    edited April 2015
    Options
    "Going to" implies he wasn't already. :giggle: 
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited April 2015
    Options
    cazzy said:
    ...The egg is a good all in one and is very versatile, but it honestly isn't really great at anything.  ...
    This was the line that I thought might garner more attention.  Crippling blow to all of us poor Eggheads.  :o
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    cazzy said:
    ...The egg is a good all in one and is very versatile, but it honestly isn't really great at anything.  ...
    This was the line that I thought might garner more attention.  Crippling blow to all of us poor Eggheads.
    Hence the Dickhead remark!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • mahenryak
    Options
    DMW said:
    mahenryak said:
    cazzy said:
    This was the line that I thought might garner more attention.  Crippling blow to all of us poor Eggheads.  :o
    Think of it this way. I can do a killer pizza in my Black Stone, but it's completely useless to cook pulled pork or ribs, brisket, etc. Likewise the Pitmaker Vault is great for smoking huge amounts of meat, but you can't grill burgers.
    True, and I did catch this point, but I think a lot of folks would categorize their cooks as 'great' on the Egg, or at least cooks by other Eggheads they have eaten.  Anyway, it is all good.  I'm not as fragile as I let on. 

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Some on here and especially on the Facebook group page (that I dropped from) think the Egg is the almighty tool for everything.  Guy on the Facebook page, before I dropped, posted something about the Blackstone Pizza cooker.  He was poking fun about it saying he could produce that and better with his Egg.  I called BS on that post and stated other items.  

The cooker I have cooked on for many years makes just as good Q has the Egg, however it just isn't as efficient.  You have to shovel coals for 12-14 hours ever 15-30 min at a time.  

Some are just blinded by all the hype and the price sometimes.  Egg's are great, don't get me wrong, but it isn't "the one for everything" like some portray.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • mahenryak
    Options
    Some on here and especially on the Facebook group page (that I dropped from) think the Egg is the almighty tool for everything.  Guy on the Facebook page, before I dropped, posted something about the Blackstone Pizza cooker.  He was poking fun about it saying he could produce that and better with his Egg.  I called BS on that post and stated other items.  

The cooker I have cooked on for many years makes just as good Q has the Egg, however it just isn't as efficient.  You have to shovel coals for 12-14 hours ever 15-30 min at a time.  

Some are just blinded by all the hype and the price sometimes.  Egg's are great, don't get me wrong, but it isn't "the one for everything" like some portray.  
    All valid points, of course.  Always good to take a fresh look at things when purchasing.  That's why I opted for the KJ Jr, for example, when I purchased my second ceramic grill--as opposed to the MM.  It seemed to make the most sense for me.  The blindness you speak of is exactly why I thought the line might garner more reaction.  Anyway, not a big deal and I was originally just poking a little fun at the whole thing.

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    Off topic!
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    DMW said:
    If I could have only one cooker, it would be an egg, no question.
    Oh without a doubt me too.  Leaps and bounds better than any grill I have ever purchased.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    DMW said:
    And that's the point I was trying to make.  If I had one cooker...the egg would be the clear choice.

I ran out of kool-aid a long time ago so I realize what limitations the egg has.  As a smoker, the egg will never compete with a stick burner.  Better smoke and an offset with a true indirect heat source will produce better brisket, ribs and pork.  The downside is its a lot more work than the egg will ever be.  For pizza, the egg is great, but a WFO or Blackstone will produce better and more consistent results.  If you want to wok, a BTU burner is quicker and cheaper to use.  Use that same BTU burner and cook your steaks on a cast iron pan.  

I'm an egghead through and through but I'm a cook first and I will always look for the best tool to complete the job.

I'm looking for better smoke flavor and more volume...both of which the egg can't provide.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Gonna to build this in my back yard when I hit the lottery!  

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    You could always get the backwoods gator model it has a removable water pan so you can drop to the lowest grate level and grill on it as well. I wouldn't want to sear steaks on it but I'm sure you could run 400 easily at the grate level for some burgers. It has space also believe it can do 16 racks of ribs or 8 briskets something like that.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    I think for a lot of people, some of the frustration with the Egg comes down to consistency.  You can definitely hit a home run from time to time on brisket or pizza, but it's hard to get the consistency you'll achieve on other systems that are specifically designed for the job.  

All that being said, I don't think I'll ever invest in something like what @cazzy's getting here.  But I'm definitely interested in a Blackstone and maybe a WFO down the road.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    Options
    I think for a lot of people, some of the frustration with the Egg comes down to consistency.  You can definitely hit a home run from time to time on brisket or pizza, but it's hard to get the consistency you'll achieve on other systems that are specifically designed for the job.  

All that being said, I don't think I'll ever invest in something like what @cazzy's getting here.  But I'm definitely interested in a Blackstone and maybe a WFO down the road.  
    Yeah...a Blackstone is definitely in my immediate future. That thing looks legit.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,096
    Options
    So are you really getting one of @SGH 's units to add to your stable?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • cazzy
    Options
    I don't think there is a right way to answer that question.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @cazzy - for a name, might I suggest "La Unidad Mexicana Grande" ?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    DMW said:
    For me it would be Giada De Laurentiis - although I wouldn't allow her to say the word "Spaghetti".....I hate her pronunciation.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • mahenryak
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I don't think there is a right way to answer that question.
    Double entendre aside, I hope you do get one and share a little bit of your experiences.  I don't see myself purchasing something like this anytime soon. It would be overkill for my cooking needs.  But it's still fun to think about it.  Kind of like why I find myself watching BBQ Pitmasters knowing full well I'll never enter a competition and most of their tips will never be too applicable to my cooks.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I'm thinking caz-man was making an April Fools joke and now he has no way out

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    Options
    I'm thinking caz-man was making an April Fools joke and now he has no way out
    Are you implying that I now need to retire at 36, send my eggs to my in-laws and buy a Vault?  I guess I'm in too deep huh, lil guy?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Dat that was my first impression. If it's the real deal I apologise for anything derogatory I may have said.

Steve 

Caledon, ON