Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what size egg to get

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, I was just planning on getting a normal charcoal grill, and then my friend had to go and ruin my bank account by suggesting one of these bad boys. Now my only problem is that I'm not sure what size to get. Where's a good starting place for the eggs? What size did everyone else start with? I live alone, but I intend to have the occasional 3-15 person BBQ. Would a medium be reasonable? I'm more concerned about the portability issues with the larger grill (140 lbs vs. 95 lbs) than the cost issues, as the price delta is relatively small.

Comments

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    Josh,[p]
    I have cooked for 2 to 75 on my large. I wouldn't want a smaller one if I only had one myself.

• Josh,[p]I bought my first egg, a large, last summer after going through the same questions you have. I've had no regrets with my decision. It serves only two of us except on occasion when kids and grandkids are here, and if I could have only one egg it would definately be the large. Then when you really get hooked buy a small to compliment it. That's what I'm about to do.[p]Btw, mounted in a nest it's quite easy to wheel around my deck.
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Josh,[p]For your first egg, I recommend a large. Then pickup a small for portability. Then get another large followed by a mini just because.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Josh,
    I concur, get a large. I have one in NC and another in CA. Small is next on my list just to conserve charcoal (at least that is going to be my excuse to my wife). I live 200 miles fron the nearest Egg dealer so charcoal is dear here.

• Mik of Alaska
    Options
    Josh,
    As all others have said do get the large. I know they are not the easiest to move around.... but you will never regret gettin' the thing and it will never be too small for how ever many you have for company. Just remember one thing.... once the word is out about your BBQ your list will grow by leaps and bounds and if you didn't get the large you will wish you did. I is only one at my home and am I ever glad I got the large. ABT's all the way!!! Mik

• Josh,
    breakdown and get the large. you won't be sorry. you can accomodate large groups and still easily cook for one or two people. i am about to buy myself a small sometime this year for portability and because there are only two in our household, but i am still very happy i bought the large first. if i had it to do over again, i would buy the large first again.

• Oy, you guys are convincing. Well, I'm going to debate about it for another couple days with your advice in mind, but in any case, you all are going to watch and help me go from a novice griller to (hopefully) someone who can really put something together.[p]Thanks for the help.[p]-Josh
  • Josh,[p]
    I dont wanna reveal mineself on accounta its goin against anybody what already done tole you to get a large..thats why I posted as ButtMoney..to hide my identity....I don't rote poums nun neither...not bout tater tots or burnin flamin willies...but I did start out with a medium egg..an it has serve me fine all this time..now my brotha mista mcforhead..he bought a large..but only afta seein my medium...I think maybe he was worried about portability prollems with the small..when you got such a large cranium as he duz..well..I gess he wuz worried that even with the medium..when he was movin it he'd be outta balance..cuz of his large hed..so he bought a large..so when he moved it he woodnt tip ova and whatnot..I muss confess it works for him..cuz he aint tipped over yet when movin it..but he gots these neck veins what pop out when he's movin it..I dont no if'n he got the medium if them neck veins would pop out like that..I spose we'll nevah no because if'n he got the medium an moved it..then he'd prolly tip ovah an prolly brake the egg..then he'd be so mad his neck veins wood prolly be out anyway..not provin nuttin bout why he got those nek veins in the firss place. I gess my point is this..if you got a big hed an don't mind poppin nek veins..then go hed an get the large..if'n you got a big hed an wanna disgise your neck veins..get the medium..[p]Hope this helps[p]ButtMonkey

• KyBoy
    KyBoy Posts: 11
    Options
    Josh,[p]Go for the large - had the same question last year and made the decision to buy the large. Works great for all types of cooking and is tall enough for a turkey
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    Heck since no one has said it I'll say get the XL. Seriously I'd consider buying one egg to satrt and then getting another one later. So start with the XL or a medium and then after you fall in love with cooking on it - get a second one.