Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mechoui of Lamb with Berber Spices

Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024

This recipe can be found in Planet Barbecue.  It was outstanding!  Thanks, @jfm0830 for recommending it and for all the great advice! 

Here's the Leg of Lamb studded and ready to go on the grill.

Tossed on at a dome temp of 350 deg f with some Jack Daniels Oak Chips thrown in for a bit of smoke.

After about 45 minutes, I opened the Egg up to baste with the Charmoula.

Served up with some Greek Potatoes.  This is one of the best things that has come off my egg.  :) 

I love every recipe I've ever made by Steven Raichlen.  The man knows his stuff.  :)

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Daggum Dyal. That looks unbelievable. I need to do that for my wife. She loves lamb
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Oh my. That look fantastic.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    =P~ that looks awesome! I need to just cook lamb for myself, I can't get anyone I cook for to even try it. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Dyal: You are most welcome, you did that recipe proud!! Some of those pix would be right at home in a cookbook or food magazine. I hope you continue to try lamb recipes moving forward.

I agree about SR's recipes, they have always turned out excellently for me. I also like the way on his TV shows he sticks to the recipes without all the excess hoopla like some cooks whose names I won't mention (Bobby Flare, Emeril LeGasBag). Oops did I say that out loud?

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    I've never had lamb but I think I'd even try that :)
    Large BGE

• Dyal_SC
    Thx, y'all. It was real good. Only thing I will probably do differently next time is take it to a lower temp. The recipe calls for the internal temp to be 190 deg f. Moroccans prefer lamb well done. I wanted to try it exactly like the recipe called for on my first attempt. It was still darn good though. :)
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688

I have never tried lamb either! This makes me wanta try it.

^:)^

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• can you post the charmoula recipe? I got the rest.

Thanks!

CT

• Dyal_SC
    If you google "Méchoui of Lamb with Berber Spices",, it will be the first recipe that pops up.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Sweet Jesus man that looks awesome!!!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Dyal_SC said:
    If you google "Méchoui of Lamb with Berber Spices",, it will be the first recipe that pops up.
    Ha! Actually yours is the first one to pop up now! You are famous

Found it though. Thanks

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Drool, Have to make a run to Costco and find some lamb. Fantastic! =D>

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Just the charmoula in the bowl looks beautiful. The finished leg looks stupendous.

I agree with you - of all the celebrity bbq chefs/cooks, I like Raichlen the most. A friend gave me Planet Barbecue as a xmas gift. Whenever I thumb through it, there are so many things i want to try! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chelnerul
    Chelnerul Posts: 153
    @Dyal_SC - I remember seeing this post when you initially made it and loved the how-to pictures, as well as the recipe. I sent it then to my wife with the note that "this is our Easter meal." However, as we get closer, I returned to the article and saw all the photos are gone and have been moved or deleted. Is there any way to restore, or was this intentional?

Many thanks,
    Chelnerul
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • Dyal_SC
    @Chelnerul , yeah I went back and deleted a bunch of pix from photobucket.  Sorry about that.  Raichlen (or his staff) have been using my pix and other's pix without our permission.  It made it appear they were his own photos.  He did this to @Griffin too. It wasn't just once. It was done numerous times.  I sent messages, but it wasn't until he was called out publicly that it stopped.  I don't have Twitter, but I read several of you on the forum said something to him there.  Then he apologized to Griffin and supposedly got rid of his staff member who used the pix.    
  • Chelnerul
    Sorry to hear that, I head read about this occurring to @Griffin but didn't know it affected you too. I'll try to wing it on the lamb then! Thanks for the reply.
  • Chelnerul
    What would your lower temp be? I'm going to do this for Easter and would love an after-action report/lessons learned from your experience!
  • Dyal_SC
    Chelnerul said:
    What would your lower temp be? I'm going to do this for Easter and would love an after-action report/lessons learned from your experience!
    I took it to an internal temp of 190 like the recipe called for when I made it the first time. If I were you, I'd shoot for lower than that depending on your family's preference.  I might shoot for 150 next time, then allow for it to raise a few more deg during the rest period.  
  • Chelnerul
    Thanks man. Will do and post pics in this thread for evidence...
  • Dyal_SC
    @Chelnerul , I was able to recover some lower quality pix of the cook. Here they are: