Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I will still kind of be an egghead...

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
Alright folks, I've done the unthinkable and have ordered a cabinet smoker.  I'm kinda ashamed to say that this is the same cabinet smoker that @SGH uses on a regular basis and was featured at Nola's Brisket Camp.

My eggs and table...

will now call my in-law's pool house their new home.  This will give me something good to cook on when I visit.  

At some point, I suppose I will purchase a mini or mini-max for the house.
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    edited April 2015
    Options
    doubt you'll miss them, vastly overrated in my view.  If this is an April fools jest, I'd still consider it
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Good riddance you turncoat! :tongue: 
    That's awesome Carl!  So... :pensive: this will be Unit#?  You better still post brotha. Once an egghead always an egghead. :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'd trade all my eggs in for one of those....if it could also grill.
    Options
    I saw the receipt.  I'm sure his purchase is not in jest.
    Options
    I saw the receipt.  I'm sure his purchase is not in jest.
    was referring more to the riddance-ing of the eggs part...
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    That's a nice looking unit, what is the name of the cabinet smoker?  You must think it puts out a better product or has it's advantages.  Any reason you didn't keep the eggs as well?
    Phoenix 
  • cazzy
    edited April 2015
    Options
    blasting said:
    That's a nice looking unit, what is the name of the cabinet smoker?  You must think it puts out a better product or has it's advantages.  Any reason you didn't keep the eggs as well?
    The eggs will still be mine...they will just have a new home for the time being.  Friday is my last day of work as I'm temporarily retiring from boring work till my kids are all in school.  This means we will spend more time at my in-laws during the summer.  Not having to lug stuff over there will be awesome.

It's a Pitmaker Vault.  Yes, cooking with a draft in a reverse flow smoker is a huge benefit.  It's just as, if not more fuel efficient than the egg and would allow me to cook about 14 briskets at a time if I needed to.  The space alone is a big winner.  I'm also kinda bored so it will be fun to play with a new toy.  The egg is a good all in one and is very versatile, but it honestly isn't really great at anything.  All of this is leading up to me getting an offset pit.  That comes next, or very soon...
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Gasser during the week when home for now? 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    doubt you'll miss them, vastly overrated in my view.  If this is an April fools jest, I'd still consider it
    Overrated in terms of what?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that is a nice gift for the in-laws.  You must really like them.  If we were closer I would try to convince you to give them the eggs in a small and large nest and I would make you an offer on that table! 

What is the name of...uhhhh...your unit? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Congradulations on the big unit. You will absolutely love it. They are about all you could ever want in a smoker. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it once you put it to use. Again, congradulations and enjoy.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I wish eggs were square so I could cook more squarier food....
    Options
    If you're going to cook on the same smoker as SGH then you are going to start eating the same portions as him also!

Congrats on the temporary retirement.  Sounds like a great opportunity to spend more time with your family and your eggs!  It's a win-win all around.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • blasting
    edited April 2015
    Options
    May I inquire as to the brand name? EDIT - sorry - just saw that you added the name.
    Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Me too.  Eggs were to easy.  Left mine by the curb.  Got this bad boy instead!

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • blasting
    Options
    Me too.  Eggs were to easy.  Left mine by the curb.  Got this bad boy instead!

And the brand name?  JK - I'm not buying it for a second.  You'd be homeless with an egg in your shopping cart I'm guessing.
    Phoenix 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Carl PM sent.  I'm gonna make an offer on the eggs with table for my buddy in Broxton GA. I think it's pretty reasonable but, see if it's fair by you. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Congrats, stay at home dad here 5 years and counting. Love it!
    Seattle, WA
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Very nice setup and it's great you have some time to try and master it.  Oh, and my number is 316 regarding the table and Eggs.  ;)
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I may leave an egg with the in laws as well, see if father in law wants to give it a shot.
    Seattle, WA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Friggin deserter...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Carl WTH?! NO answer to my PM? Really? If the offer is not copacetic let me know and I'll see if he'll can afford to go any higher.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Another knock-off of Sidd Finch???
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Traitor! What's them valves on the left? Water cooling? Do NOT tell me it's gas!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Traitor! What's them valves on the left? Water cooling? Do NOT tell me it's gas!
    That is how you control the air intake.  You can also hook up a guru or stoker.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I knew you was one of them

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    Options
    I knew you was one of them
    Who is them?
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Enjoy...

especially the stay at home Dad part :)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    You know. One of those guys that are sort of light in the loafers

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• PlanoPokes79
    Options
    Brisket and ribs will be amazing on that cooker!! Congrats on the stay at home part, good to be with family!!