Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Triglyceride Diet - or - how I'll lose 30 pounds in April....

Options
2»

Comments

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    I do the "Whole 30 diet" every May. No grains, dairy, or sugar. It is truly amazing how good I feel on June 1st. Just hard to keep that up all year. 
    Paleo?  If it works for triglycerides and I can have bacon, I'm in :)

starting the the month with black coffee here. Thanks again to you all for the support. I'll definitely be incorporating the BGE more in the cooks to keep everything as tasty as can be..  Gotta find another rock wood hook up ;)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Im on day 8 of the advocare 24 day cleanse. So far ive lost 10 pounds, all around my midsection. I was a terrible eater, fast food fwice a day, lots of soda and beer, nothing healthy ever. 

Now, im eating three good meals a day with a snack in between, and i am never hungry and i feel like superman already. My wife already had to buy new jeans, and that new pair is starting to fall off as well. Im gonna have to add a notch on my belt, or buy a new one. 

Its all about lean protein, lots of veggies, fruit, and complex carbs. I switched out bread for quinoa, stuff like that. instead of two sausage biscuits from hardees for breakfast, now i have two eggs and some sort of fruit. Snack on things like carrots and hummus, handful of grapes with some cantoloupe, good stuff. 

Lots of exercise. I worked out a lot before, so i just continue my normal routine. Lots of running and Lifting. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• thegooddocta
    Options
    I have to admit that when I read the title, I thought you were suggesting that you could lose the weight by consuming large amounts of triglycerides. I was hoping for some magical egg conversion in this thread ;]
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    @milesvdustin
    How much $$ for the 24 day cleanse advocare products? What all do you buy?

New Albany, Ohio 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MaskedMarvel said:
    Honestly, so am I. Might be the half a glass of red Wine kind of exception. 

My goal is go hardcore for one month. After that, make it a lifestyle that isn't as strict as April is going to be.
    Once your knee heels up and you get clearance from your doctor I might suggest walking.  I dropped nearly sixty pounds over a six month span a few years ago and have kept it off by committing to a walking regiment, which consists of a brisk walk about an hour per day, four to five days each week.  Fortunately, my job allows me to do this most of the year during my lunch hour.  Triglycerides have went down, along with bad cholesterol and the so called good cholesterol has risen.  As far as diet goes, I basically eat what I want,  but in moderation.  I have made an effort to gravitate toward whole grains--whether this be in the form of breakfast cereals, rice (brown) or sandwich bread.  I will confess that for me, the one big exception to the 'eat what I want' rule--has been alcohol.  I found that I needed to abstain from alcohol to see results in the beginning.  I have carried this and my commitment to walking through for 2.5 years now and the weight has stayed off.  Everyone is different but this is what has worked for me.  Best of luck to you.

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    This may be an odd suggestion but think about picking up a mini. Smaller egg might just equal smaller cooks. You won't feel guilty about burning a handful of lump to make a meal either. That way you can still fulfill your wish to egg and you can only fit so much on the lil guy. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    This may be an odd suggestion but think about picking up a mini. Smaller egg might just equal smaller cooks. You won't feel guilty about burning a handful of lump to make a meal either. That way you can still fulfill your wish to egg and you can only fit so much on the lil guy. 
    Cooking for one here, this would be a fantastic idea...

day three here. I feel better, though that's probably just me psyching myself out. Ate out last night, that was difficult. Had to manipulate the menu. And I researched and found a government website that tested And determined eggs have no effect on triglycerides, so that opens up my day a bit..

thank you all again very much. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Well...  Turkey bacon is awful...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Haven't updated in a while...

ive been keeping pretty strict to the triglyceride diet and reading tons about nutrition and what's good bad etc. only real cheat I've been doing is alcohol. No drinking? Pssssh...

I am Twenty one pounds lighter today than April 1.  
    (189)

Will ill hit the doc up next week to see how the numbers are looking. Hoping to have a pork butt on by the end of the week.

thank you everybody very much!

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Good going or should I say "good losing"! :relaxed: 
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Congratulations.... That is awesome news..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm in an odd church where we eat vegan about half the year (most Wednesdays and Fridays, plus 4 times a year of a few weeks, Lent being the longest and most strict), and I've gotten to really enjoy vegan food.  Here's one of my very favorite recipes, from "Moosewood Cooks at Home."  I love the combination of sweet spices in a savory dish.

Tunisian Vegetable Stew

1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onions 
    2 tablespoons olive oil 
    3 cups thinly sliced cabbage 
    dash of salt 
    1 large green bell pepper cut into thin strips 
    2 teaspoons ground coriander 
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric 
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon 
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste) 
    3 cups undrained canned tomatoes chopped (28-ounce can) 
    1 1/2 cups drained cooked chick peas (16-ounce can) 
    1/3 cup currants or raisins
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 
    salt to taste 
    toasted slivered almonds (optional) 

In a large skillet, sauté the onions in the olive oil for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the cabbage, sprinkle with salt, and continue to sauté for at least 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Add the bell pepper, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, and cayenne to the skillet and sauté for another minute or so. 

Stir in the tomatoes, chick peas, and currants or raisins, and simmer, covered, for about 13 minutes, until the vegetables are just tender. 

Add the lemon juice and salt to taste.

Top with toasted almonds if you like. Serve with Couscous.  The original recipe also wants crumbled feta cheese on top, but I honestly didn't think it was an improvement when I tried it once, and cheese adds a little fat and a little cholesterol.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Haven't updated in a while...

ive been keeping pretty strict to the triglyceride diet and reading tons about nutrition and what's good bad etc. only real cheat I've been doing is alcohol. No drinking? Pssssh...

I am Twenty one pounds lighter today than April 1.  
    (189)

Will ill hit the doc up next week to see how the numbers are looking. Hoping to have a pork butt on by the end of the week.

thank you everybody very much!

Congrats, awesome work. Eggs are one of the best things you can eat. And 100% agree, turkey bacon sucks.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Diet has been scientifically proven to stop heart disease and related cardiovascular damage. While lots of studies suggest that diet affects only about 20% in variability of cardiovascular outcomes, it is because very few studies examine the effects of diets with total fat intake below 20%-30% of calories. The positive effect of diet on cardiovascular outcomes only appears when total fat intake falls to something closer to 12% or less of total calories. In other words, this change can definitely work for you, but you have to go 'all in' for it to do so. There is also a big difference between diet for long-term health and diet for weight loss (the two are not at all the same).

For inspiration, you might enjoy reading The China Study by Colin Campbell, and Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Caldwell Esselstyn.

A great way to reduce the fat intake of your food is to simply not put it in. Fry food in water rather than olive oil, add tomato paste rather than oil to recipes, and use apple sauce rather than oil in baking. All these tricks work well. A tablespoon of olive oil is the equivalent to 20-40 olives. So just add the olives to what you are making.

A couple of websites that embrace this type of eating are here:

Forks over Knives: this movement was started by Caldwell Esselstyn's son.
    http://www.forksoverknives.com/

Try the hearty nachos recipe and the lentil chili from here to get a sense of what eating this way is like. http://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes-for-super-bowl-xlvi/

Another great resource is Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Post Punk Kitchen (just leave out the oil that she uses, because while she is vegan, she is not low fat:
    http://www.theppk.com/recipes/

I've been eating a low-fat vegan diet for 4 years, and I've just begun to blog my favourite bbq recipes on the Egg here: https://plantbasedbbq.wordpress.com/

Good luck!
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    I've been dieting and exercising in order to get in better shape for my wedding this coming Labor Day weekend. It's hard at first but once you get into the swing of things it gets much easier. 

I would also recommend the Thug Kitchen cookbook mentioned above. Some of the things in that book are slap you in the mouth delicious, I was blown away. Also, here is a link to another post of mine that talks about a chimichurri salad with a boneless skinless chicken breast that we eat all of the time. If you find a good marinade for the chicken it's to die for. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1181806/chicken-chimichurri-salad-i-guess-dieting-isnt-all-bad#latest

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Thanks gang!  
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Backyard Mike
    Options
    ksmyrl said:

Congrats, awesome work. Eggs are one of the best things you can eat. And 100% agree, turkey bacon sucks.
    Don't eat your egg!  You can cook fish, chicken, and lean meat on it. 

Congrats on on your hard work paying off!