Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

is there a shortage of hams this year?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited March 2015 in Off Topic
As we are well into Easter week only one major chain locally has run an ad for a ham. And that was just one brand. I recall in the past all 5 major chains and a couple smaller ones all had been running ads quite heavily by this time! Could it be the cut back last year in pork production has finally shown up in the supply side?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I noticed my local butcher shop was running surprisingly low over the last week. Heading back today to see if I can pick one up, but they've had quite a few over the last couple of months and very few recently. I was hoping to get a bone in, cooked, but not smoked ham to do Egret style.

Cheers all -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    I checked our grocery store ads for this week and all have Easter ads with ham featured in the sale, most on the front page. Prices on the sale hams, both spiral cut and whole, range from $1.28 to $1.79. Lots of choices here in GA.
  • RRP
    Just a shameless bump!  =)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Haven't seen a shortage here Ron
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I know Hatfield is expanding and building 2 new facilities (pig farm) just North west of me if that helps.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Im doing 6 racks of ribs for Easter, screw ham!

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Not here in PA, plenty of options. I'm cooking a ham at my folks on Saturday. I just spoke with my mom and she picked up a 13# "skinless shankless" for me to cook. I won't have time for a prep the night before, I'll have a max prep time of 4 hours before the cook starts. Oh and she informed me "she doesn't like maple syrup". I was planning to do Egret's...

Any ideas out there?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    In our community most all chain stores publish and distribute via newspaper a sale ad on Wednesday, but not good until Thursday. In prior years they would start these ham offering sales the Thursday before thereby giving a 9 day lead for shoppers vs. the 3 day we will get this year. I prefer a certain brand and these flyers make it easier to track down. Oh well...sounds like there is no ham shortage so my question has been answered and I thank all of you!
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Costco was low but not out yet.
    McKinney, TX
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    My sister is hosting and buying the ham, so I haven't even paid attention to availability.  I know just after Xmas, there was a great sale price on ham at my local WalMart, so I bought one, and didn't even re-heat it.  I carved it up, sliced some up for sandwiches and cubed the rest for other dishes, and froze it all in single serve, & and family meal size batches.  I'm starting to get low on my frozen ham, so post Easter, I will look for sales again.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Ron, the porcine epidemic diarrhea virus wiped out 5% of piglets late last year which caused pork farmers to raise larger pigs, and that caused a shortage of the 7 lb hams.  Pork prices in general were higher.  They've come down because the supply side recovered.

There is a pork cycle which is graphed (only could find it in German) below. We've all noticed the cycle and sleep well tonight knowing it's been studied. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_cycle

No shortage in the Columbia area.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.