Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on My Butts ideal temp and

Options
Hi folks, I have 2- 7 lbers slathered up with mustard and spices on the large smoking away,along with a pan full of beer indirect   But I forgot what ideal temp is for the duration and what should be my target temp 170? , last time I did this with 2 of them it took 18 hrs,  I have the lump all nice and loaded in up to the rim . Thanks for helping me remember. This time I will store it to my phone 

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    If for pulled pork I go to 195 and start checking for tenderness. Usually cook at 235-250 at grid. Takes 14-16 hours.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Start checking @ 195. It could go to 205 ish before it's happy. When it probes like buttah, you're done(assuming you plan for pulled pork)
  • Bushgator
    Bushgator Posts: 112
    Options

195 it is   Thanks folks 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Bushgator said:

195 it is   Thanks folks 

195* is when you start checking. Finish temps are in the 195*-205* range in my experience. When you can stick them with a probe and have it slide like you were probing warm butter, then it is done.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Also if they are bone-in then when  the bone pulls clean you are there.  About the best indicator I have found for butts.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    If you are cooking on a green egg, you might want to consider eliminating the liquid pan...
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If you are cooking on a green egg, you might want to consider eliminating the liquid pan...
    Sounds like you already started, if so watch for a temp spike when that liquids all gone. 
  • Bushgator
    Options
    sounds good  so far its holding at 250   its been in since 6:15 tonight  I have 3 quarts of beer in the pan  should last until morning .  they have the bone in so I already know im in it for the long hall
  • Bushgator
    Options
    They..... when finished will be wrapped with about 5 layers of aluminum foil , a large plastic bag, then wrapped in about 3-4 towels then in a cooler  for a 15 hour long trip to Charleston Illinois