Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggfest is over...what a great time

Options
The Nature's Coast Eggfest is now in the books and I had a great time. Weather was great and the food was excellent. Wish I had taken the time, or had the time, to get some pictures but there was someone going around with a camera so if I get any pictures I'll post a few.

My preserved lemon chickens were a big hit as were the margarita cookies although everyone said they were key lime cookies. I said...okay...key lime cookies they are. All my food was gone before the end so I was happy.

People were great, Linkie was a great addition, I had a blast and can't wait until next year.

If anyone hasn't been to one of these they owe it to them self to attend.

Bill

From the deep south...land of saltwater fish...west central Florida

Comments

• Sameydog
    Sameydog Posts: 154
    Options
    Guess it wasn't as big a deal to others as it was to me.

I'm not sure what the deal is, when I first started on here, many helped out. Now when I post it's like the only one who answers my thread is...well...me. Am I doing something wrong here? Or is my post count too low?  :)

Bill

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Sameydog said:
    The Nature's Coast Eggfest is now in the books and I had a great time. Weather was great and the food was excellent. Wish I had taken the time, or had the time, to get some pictures but there was someone going around with a camera so if I get any pictures I'll post a few.

My preserved lemon chickens were a big hit as were the margarita cookies although everyone said they were key lime cookies. I said...okay...key lime cookies they are. All my food was gone before the end so I was happy.

People were great, Linkie was a great addition, I had a blast and can't wait until next year.

If anyone hasn't been to one of these they owe it to them self to attend.

Bill

Needed more Tequila in the icing I would think. Glad to hear you had a good time.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Sameydog
    Options
    Good point but we were passing out a few tastes of Jose.

Bill

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I have not heard of this. Must of missed the previous posts. Which part of Fl?

LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    My posts always seem to go ignored!

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    could we see some pictures ?
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I also didn't see this thread until now. Where was this Eggfest held at? 

I am glad you had a good time @Sameydog. I have never been able to attend an Eggfest. I am sure it was a blast. 

milesvdustin said: My posts always seem to go ignored!
    I bet that isn't true. I will try to respond to your posts from now on. If it makes you feel any better most of my threads don't get a lot of comments either. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Yeah don't get hurt. I'm happy if I get a couple comments. Lol. Keep posting man. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Don't sweat. It's nothing personal. My posts are the same deal. You gotta have a little seniority around here to get attention. Low post members don't get the best treatment I've noticed. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Sounds like a great time. I've really enjoyed the Eggfests I've attended, especially the ones I've cooked at.

As far as the posts go, I've found including pictures gets more attention.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    bweekes said:
    Low post members don't get the best treatment I've noticed. 
    That's not true. The guys that post cooks get more replies than anyone. Post count is irrelevant when it comes to replies.  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Sameydog
    Options
    The Eggfest was held in Homosassa, Florida in an area called the Nature's Coast or Big Bend area. Nice country type area with Gulf access but no beaches...or high rises.

Thanks for the replies, I really was concerned that since I mentioned an Eggfest, that I had crossed a line and I was sent me out to pasture.

I'll dig up some pictures from the Eggfest and post them.

I'm also doing a chicken Thursday and then using it on a pizza cooking it right after the chicken. I'll take pictures.

Bill
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    bweekes said:
    Low post members don't get the best treatment I've noticed. 
    That's not true. The guys that post cooks get more replies than anyone. Post count is irrelevant when it comes to replies.  
    Let me reframe. When low post count members post complaints about retailers or otherwise express criticism re: post topics, they are raked over the coals. No shortage of live examples on the form right now. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Sameydog said:
    Good point but we were passing out a few tastes of Jose.

Bill

@Sameydog Looks like a good time was had by all!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Sameydog
    Options
    A few pictures that protect the innocent...I didn't want to post any that I didn't have permission.

Bill
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    My posts always seem to go ignored!
    It's not personal, I grant you.  Between you and the OP, yall don't have many posts.  People seem to flock to those with higher posts and those that post cooks often.  Get those post counts up and get recognized and I promise you'll get more comments.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sameydog said:

I'm not sure what the deal is, when I first started on here, many helped out. Now when I post it's like the only one who answers my thread is...well...me. Am I doing something wrong here? Or is my post count too low?  :)

Bill

Sorry you aren't feeling the love. You have 17 started discussions and you have an average of 17.76 responses per. Thats pretty good! You had 2-3 fizzle out early but that happens. I would imagine over time that things will balance out and you will be just like every other poster here. Some threads are reacted to better than others. 

Looks like people jumped right in to help you out at first and that is a good thing. Probably not a big enough sample to take 3 posts out of 17 that were not reacted to as strongly as you hoped and claim you are being ignored because you don't have a high enough post count. 

Stick with it. it will all balance out. And remember, we've all seen 8000 pork butts, 6000 spatchcock chickens, helped 500 guys whose fire has gone out overnight. All those are valid posts and newer guys still need help. We just can't jump in on all of them. That's your job once you get settled in, then you can hand it off after you've done your duty. Those posts will help you every bit as much as you help them. It will force you to dig and and figure out what went wrong and how to fix it. I highly recommend jumping in to help with the noob questions whenever you feel comfortable. Plus it will get your post count up :lol: 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tarheelmatt
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sameydog said:

Bill

Sorry you aren't feeling the love. You have 17 started discussions and you have an average of 17.76 responses per. Thats pretty good! You had 2-3 fizzle out early but that happens. I would imagine over time that things will balance out and you will be just like every other poster here. Some threads are reacted to better than others. 

Looks like people jumped right in to help you out at first and that is a good thing. Probably not a big enough sample to take 3 posts out of 17 that were not reacted to as strongly as you hoped and claim you are being ignored because you don't have a high enough post count. 

Stick with it. it will all balance out. And remember, we've all seen 8000 pork butts, 6000 spatchcock chickens, helped 500 guys whose fire has gone out overnight. All those are valid posts and newer guys still need help. We just can't jump in on all of them. That's your job once you get settled in, then you can hand it off after you've done your duty. Those posts will help you every bit as much as you help them. It will force you to dig and and figure out what went wrong and how to fix it. I highly recommend jumping in to help with the noob questions whenever you feel comfortable. Plus it will get your post count up :lol: 

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    My favorite here lately, how do you light your egg.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    I've been around a while. I don't post a ton. When I do, I typically use the amount of comments to determine if it was an interesting cook. Kind of a grade lets say, not of quality of the turnout of the cook, but of the level of interest. 
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Any food pics?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Sameydog
    Options
    Yep on the food pictures...I'll dig some out.

And I wasn't so much whining as I was wondering if the mention of an Eggfest was what does one in?

Anyway I appreciate the support and the suggestions, I have commented on some cooks, and will a bunch more going forward.

And hey, look, my post count is going up.  :)

Bill

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I normally read almost every thread and comment on many, but there are a few folks that I have PM Conversations with that I know will likely comment on my posts, whatever the subject, and I will comment on theirs. If I cook a spatch or butt, I don't expect much. 

The more you participate and build those relationships the more comments you can expect. It's nothing personal. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looks like a great time.  I would love to hear more deets on the preserved lemon chickens. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    I normally read almost every thread and comment on many, but there are a few folks that I have PM Conversations with that I know will likely comment on my posts, whatever the subject, and I will comment on theirs. If I cook a spatch or butt, I don't expect much. 

The more you participate and build those relationships the more comments you can expect. It's nothing personal. 

Like afternoon convo's or something?  :tired_face: 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Hey! I'm on vacation. It's legal this time! I gotta pass the time in all these lines. 

universal is CROWDED!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Yeti (one of your biggest at 18 responses)
    Brisket
    guns
    liberal politics
    cast iron anything
    drinking/drunkenness
    warranty issues
    AR vs. 2 tier rack
    the other forum
    blend tec  vs. Vitamix
    anything vs. anything else
    thermapen
    thermapen sale
    themapen vs thermopop
    cheaper Thermapen
    raised grid
    KJ vs. BGE
    SGH

that should get you going :lol 

Honestly, for the love of everything holy, how could you not include the "which lump is best" category??

Put the Darth Maul cup down for a second :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

@Sameydog - tried and tested formula for garnering responses to threads is to include pics. Some topics are less or more interesting to folks depending on many factors. Eggfests are not taboo by any means :)

Speaking of which, the venue looks wonderful. I bet everyone had a nice time... especially after visiting your booth and downing a shot or more!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    caliking said:

@Sameydog - tried and tested formula for garnering responses to threads is to include pics. Some topics are less or more interesting to folks depending on many factors. Eggfests are not taboo by any means :)

Speaking of which, the venue looks wonderful. I bet everyone had a nice time... especially after visiting your booth and downing a shot or more!

I concur.  Many forum members don't read too good.  Pictures help attract interest, especially those with shiny objects, buttons, pieces of colored glass, etc. ;)