Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib questions

Maybe someone can clarify this.  What is actual prime rib?   I thought it was prime rated meat that is a rib roast.   

Well ill the grocery store had them on sale "prime rib roast - $4.99/lb.". Butchers usually charge $14.99/lb.  but is this the same.   

The labels stated prime rib roast choice and prime rib roast angus.   I believe choice is a lower quality meat than prime so how can they label it this way?   

Anyway we picked up a angus one and will try and cook it today.  I am thinking 275 for a few hours checking after 2. For an internal temp of 115/120.  The pulling the indirect stone and cranking for a reverse sear.  Then let sit for 15 minutes.  Sound about right.   So form4lbs does 2 hours sound about right?  I don't want to keep opening the egg to check on it.  I have gone through two Mavericks and don't have a remote probe anymore.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    I'm not gonna comment on the labeling but you are correct in that the grade of beef should be the way it is presented/sold.  
    That said, your roast plan sounds good.  Here's a link about cooking rib roasts that's worth a look:
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html   Enjoy the cook and eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    It is definitely confusing.  Prime rib is not necessarily USDA prime.  The "prime" term is because it is from the primal section of the cow.  Stike mentioned the other day that the term prime rib was around before the USDA grading system, hence the confusion. 

So, you can have a rib roast that is graded "USDA choice", and some still label it prime rib.  

I have never had USDA Prime rib roast- I can only find choice.  Nothing wrong with the choice they are always great.  

2 hours at 275 sounds about right.  I burned through my maverick probes as well.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I've only had "prime" prime rib at the house a couple times. Usually buy a good looking choice. Just really not worth the extra cabbage for me. 
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    The roast is actually 8 lbs.  measuring 7 Inches wide.  Only 2 adults and 1 kid will eat it.  I was planning on cutting this in half but I am worried how it will come out being only 3 1/2 inches wide.   My daughter and I like it medium and wide wants hers well (yuck).  I might me either all medium or all well.

is this too small of a roast at 4 lbs?  

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    See the link in my above post-should address your concerns.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I think I heard on Good Eats that although most people think it is called prime rib due to the grade of meat, that it is actually called that because the rib roast is a "primal" cut of meat
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Don't forget the au jus! Lots of recipes on here for that as well.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • robnybbq
    Lousubcap. -  weird I did not see you first post until now.   Thanks for the link. 

Thinking maybe we will invite someone over and cook the whole thing instead of cutting in half and freezing 1/2.

Garnerville, NY
  • Prime Rib Roast = 4-8 Cowboy Steaks ;)
  • robnybbq
    OK - WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cooked the 4lb roast at 220-250 (That's is whwre the Egg wanted to be yesterday)  for 2 hours. Pulled the stone and cranked the egg to 500.  Seared each side of the roast on the spider for ~2 minutes a side.  Let rest for 15 min.

AWESOME!

Thanks all.

Now next weekend we are supposedly having prime rib at my brothers house for Easter.  (I'll be looking for a drive-thru on the way home).

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    @robnybbq- Congrats on the cook.  Glad it was a home-run. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That's awesome Rob.  For $5 per lb you can't beat that! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• robnybbq
    edited March 2015
    Not at all.

I bought a nice looking ribeye for $30 a few weeks ago that I cooked on the Egg that was not that great,  for $20 i fed the whole family.

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    with primerib i prefer the choice cut over the prime, the prime just has too much fat for that cut for my liking and i like fat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    robnybbq said:

Cooked the 4lb roast at 220-250 (That's is whwre the Egg wanted to be yesterday)  for 2 hours. Pulled the stone and cranked the egg to 500.  Seared each side of the roast on the spider for ~2 minutes a side.  Let rest for 15 min.

AWESOME!

Thanks all.

Now next weekend we are supposedly having prime rib at my brothers house for Easter.  (I'll be looking for a drive-thru on the way home).
    You could offer to make the rib roast and FTC it for the ride over to your brothers.
    Unless it is too far.
    I did one for New Years and took it to my parents. It was the best we've ever had, reverse sear just like you did. It was perfect med rare throughout. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    robnybbq said:

AWESOME!

Thanks all.

You could offer to make the rib roast and FTC it for the ride over to your brothers.
    Unless it is too far.
    I did one for New Years and took it to my parents. It was the best we've ever had, reverse sear just like you did. It was perfect med rare throughout. 

+1  I've done the same with great results.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Even though it actually didn't happen (no pics :smiley: ) I'll take your word for it and say congrats!

I'm glad to hear you finally got the time to egg and it turned out for you!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq said:

AWESOME!

Thanks all.

Unless it is too far.
    No no no - That will start WW3.  I can hear it now from my brothers other half - "What's the matter - you dont like my cooking" - My thoughts - No, No I do not like your cooking.  Got any takeout menu's?

Garnerville, NY