Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Triglyceride Diet - or - how I'll lose 30 pounds in April....

Options
greetings friends,

back to to doctors orders, I'm afraid.....  The triglycerides are up, and until the FDA approves bacon as a dietary supplement, I'm back on the strict, near vegan diet. At least for April.

no fatty anything. No oily anything. No dairy. No saturated anything. No alcohol. No sound of children laughing whimsically. You get the idea...

soooooooo.... Let's make the best of it. 

I need near vegan ultra healthy no cholesterol type recipes, and I need em STAT. Anything you can throw into the thread will be greatly appreciated. This is so I avoid a stroke, apparently, so make me love it.  

Avocado. Quinoa. Veggies. I'm all about it. Fruit. Lean cuts. Fish. The usual. :/

Ive done it before. With your help, I'll eat pulled pork again soon...
thanks much, if you have suggestions and for your time...

8-Damien

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Good luck and doesn't sound too awfully bad. Lean cuts of fish and fruits and veggies. What about lean pork cuts? A're you looking for recipes, prep, meal ideas?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,143
    Options
    Good luck and doesn't sound too awfully bad. Lean cuts of fish and fruits and veggies. What about lean pork cuts? A're you looking for recipes, prep, meal ideas?
    Thanks. Anything like that'd be great, yes. And congrats on your upcoming 9000th post! :)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Just one off the top of my head.  You could omit olive oil and add some avocado

http://www.cooking.com/recipes-and-more/recipes/grilled-swordfish-with-island-salsa-recipe-2752.aspx#axzz3VxcWfdpv

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Good Luck..Are you going to be upping the exercise regime to go with the diet.
    Good for you in taking control...Looking forward to hearing the great results..Have a great day..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I get the 0% Fage plain Greek yogurt and put some fresh strawberries and nonfat granola in it for breakfast everyday. For lunch, I'll eat carrots +/- hummus, protein bar (look at ingredients and nutritional facts) --some of the larabars are pretty healthy and make from mainly fruits, Apple/orange. You can get the plain almond milk that is nonfat and high in protein, no sugar. Like what @NPHuskerFL said, use your egg for fish 2 nights a week. Do a salad with BSCB 1 night a week. I started doing this over a year ago and thought it sucked at first but getting back into shape has been great. Avocado with fresh pico is a great snack or meal if you add some chicken or fish to it

One other thing to try is increasing your water intake. Might sound stupid but I drink at least 6 - 24 oz water bottles a day and think it keeps me feeling full longer. 

increasing activity and cutting back on the alcohol will help just as much as diet. 

Best set of luck and keep us posted!
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Good Luck..Are you going to be upping the exercise regime to go with the diet.
    Good for you in taking control...Looking forward to hearing the great results..Have a great day..
    Thanks! I'm slowly going to up the exercise.  Torn knee from working...  

I have this fantastic running app called "Zombies RUN!" lol..  kind of like a radio show, you're the main character in a Walking Deadesque scenario.  You use it like any running app - program to train over time for a 10K, marathon, whatever.  It's pretty cool.  I used it last year, and the new updates/chapters/episodes are supposed to be pretty good..

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options

Just one off the top of my head.  You could omit olive oil and add some avocado

http://www.cooking.com/recipes-and-more/recipes/grilled-swordfish-with-island-salsa-recipe-2752.aspx#axzz3VxcWfdpv
    This sounds amazing and exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for thank you
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    this is on the more boring side, but if you're ok with avocado, you can mash a soft/ripe one and mix with canned or cooked tuna or salmon, or even shredded chicken to make tuna/chicken salad that's much better for you than making with mayo
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    BSCB?  

Thanks for all these suggestions.  I've never been a greek yogurt guy, but I'll give it another try...  

I had a Cuisinart food processor and used to make a lot of my own hummus.  The stupid safety button broke on it.  I'll need to track down another bowl for it...
    Walt2015 said:
    I get the 0% Fage plain Greek yogurt and put some fresh strawberries and nonfat granola in it for breakfast everyday. For lunch, I'll eat carrots +/- hummus, protein bar (look at ingredients and nutritional facts) --some of the larabars are pretty healthy and make from mainly fruits, Apple/orange. You can get the plain almond milk that is nonfat and high in protein, no sugar. Like what @NPHuskerFL said, use your egg for fish 2 nights a week. Do a salad with BSCB 1 night a week. I started doing this over a year ago and thought it sucked at first but getting back into shape has been great. Avocado with fresh pico is a great snack or meal if you add some chicken or fish to it

One other thing to try is increasing your water intake. Might sound stupid but I drink at least 6 - 24 oz water bottles a day and think it keeps me feeling full longer. 

increasing activity and cutting back on the alcohol will help just as much as diet. 

Best set of luck and keep us posted!

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    @MaskedMarvel sorry about that. Stupid autocorrect. BLSL chicken breasts. 1 more thing that has helped my wife and I is mainly shopping from the outer area of the grocery store, meat/veggies/fruit.
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    did they check your thyroid, had a health nut bicycling freak here with triglyceride levels over 2000. they told him to excercise and go vegan , his routine was already healthier than their recommendation. he now takes a pill for the thyroid and eats those fish pills, they seldom check the thyroid. lemon chicken piccata is pretty tasty and simple

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Walt2015 said:
    @MaskedMarvel sorry about that. Stupid autocorrect. BLSL chicken breasts. 1 more thing that has helped my wife and I is mainly shopping from the outer area of the grocery store, meat/veggies/fruit.
    Gotcha heh..  

When I did this before a few years ago, I noticed a dramatic increase in the WEIGHT of the shopping bags.  Always found it interesting that the foods themselves had a denser nutrition.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    BSCB?  
    Boneless Skinless Chicken Boob

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    did they check your thyroid, had a health nut bicycling freak here with triglyceride levels over 2000. they told him to excercise and go vegan , his routine was already healthier than their recommendation. he now takes a pill for the thyroid and eats those fish pills, they seldom check the thyroid. lemon chicken piccata is pretty tasty and simple

No..  No they didnt...  

Any good piccata recipes you go for?  Thanks for the suggestion!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    About 2 or 3 times a week we eat sweet potatoes, cubed up small, tossed in a small amount of coconut oil (just enough to lightly cover) and sprinkled with Cow Lick or some other seasoning. Then cook them in the oven at 450 until crispy. It may be my very favorite thing to eat right now. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Had some pretty 'elevated levels' a couple of years ago and my doc recommended something that sounded like what you're talking about.

So, I talked to a nutritionist and ended up with smaller portions of most of the foods I like.

Regular trips to the gym with real workouts. (the hardest part I  might add)

Then came the clincher, real oatmeal for breakfast with a small amount of brown sugar, two teaspoons of cinnamon, and two tablespoons of cocoanut oil - every freeking morning!

At the six month blood test there was a "significant drop in my triglycerides" and at the twelve month exam the doc said, "Your cholesterol readings are better than mine and today I'm on a maintenance dose of Lipitor.  

By the way, the oatmeal thing has become a habit.
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    I've lost almost twenty pounds in the past 2 months egging many of our meals. Our go to meal right now is half of one of those bagged salads from the grocery store with some sort of egged meat on top. Chicken breast, thighs, steak, pork tenderloin, pork butt, even ABTs. 

Ive vey not however focused significantly on Cholesterol or Triglycerides so I'm not sure if these salad bags would work for your purpose. They are very convenient though and have a more "interesting" mix of lettuce/greens (cabbage, kale, Brussels sprouts, different lettuces....etc) along with mix ins (nuts, tortilla chips, cranberries...etc) which makes eating more healthy a little more interesting. 

Best at of luck on improving your health. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'm by no means an expert. I can tell you that to lose weight and keep it off and more importantly get healthier you should consider this a lifestyle vs a diet. I'll PM you later.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    ^^^^ +1 .. The Thug Kitchen cookbook is one of the best cookbooks for healthy eating .. the language is downright filthy .. that is the style .. but it gives you the best recipes for healthy food. I too highly recommend it.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    I'm by no means an expert. I can tell you that to lose weight and keep it off and more importantly get healthier you should consider this a lifestyle vs a diet. I'll PM you later.
    I'm actually hoping to do this lifestyle wise and have effects like easier on my knees as a result too. 

Thanks everyone one so much. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    edited March 2015
    Options
    With the Egg you should be able to handle this no probs. I'm a veggie whore and basically eat only salads for lunch and dinner (during the work week) with chicken breast slices from the BGE. Not sure how they feel on BBQ rubs but the Oakridge seemed lowest sodium tasting to me and I love the Secret Weapon. You won't be sacrificing on flavor with the boneless chicken breasts. Commit to salads, I chop up veggies on Sunday and then that's pretty much all I eat all week. You may require additional chopping. I use white balsamic vinegar sparingly as a dressing so no oil either (that's me, I'm a little nutty).

Use that BGE to rock out fish for dinner with some smoked veggies, corn, asparagus, grilled onions. I can eat that s**t for days.

Krill oil, I work in the pharma industry and Krill oil is nature's best kept secret (not enough profit margin to get the publicity it deserves) to get cholesterol down.  Take it NOW. It works.

Stick to oatmeal for breakfast, or hard boiled egg whites, I love that s**t too.  

Your health is what matters, stick to it!

EDIT: as much low impact exercise as you can get. If you have access to a pool that would prob be best given your injury.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I agree no diet, exercise make changes in portions and done.... Diets just fail period. We eat what we like , never excluded a thing just smaller portions. I am a former 315lb offensive lineman (230lbs ) for years now and wife has done awesome dropping a few sizes post 2 kids. Number one exercise.....running . Our number 1 breakfast here... 1 egg, 1 piece of bacon maybe 1/2 piece, 1 toast, and 1 sliver of cheese. Awesome sandwich right there. Good luck
    Seattle, WA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I'm stuck on the no alcohol part, got lost after that......seriously , good luck..I'm a twice a day workout no booze during the week, healthy food all week and really all the time, I like my drink on the weekend, social, and I'll blow my weekday diet, but even at that never fast pre prepared food...taco truck is in...Good Luck you can do it...after this month, just stay away from junk it's easy to spot...I use  the 80 20 rule on everything
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I'm stuck on the no alcohol part, got lost after that......seriously , good luck..I'm a twice a day workout no booze during the week, healthy food all week and really all the time, I like my drink on the weekend, social, and I'll blow my weekday diet, but even at that never fast pre prepared food...taco truck is in...Good Luck you can do it...after this month, just stay away from junk it's easy to spot...I use  the 80 20 rule on everything
    Honestly, so am I. Might be the half a glass of red Wine kind of exception. 

My goal is go hardcore for one month. After that, make it a lifestyle that isn't as strict as April is going to be. 

Thank you all for your suggestions. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    broccoli,
    1) cut the florrets off,  boil for 3 minutes until they turn bright green.  drain, sauté with garlic, salt and pepper.

2) shave the stems with a veggie peeler.  saute
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    bigbadben said:
    broccoli,
    1) cut the florrets off,  boil for 3 minutes until they turn bright green.  drain, sauté with garlic, salt and pepper.

2) shave the stems with a veggie peeler.  saute
    that's my every morning breakfast mixed with a boiled egg...skip the boil just microwave for a couple if minutes, there is enough moisture in the broccoli to cook it and you won't toss the nutrients down the drain..give it a try
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I do the "Whole 30 diet" every May. No grains, dairy, or sugar. It is truly amazing how good I feel on June 1st. Just hard to keep that up all year. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    @MaskedMarvel there are literally thousands, maybe millions of opinions on this. Here is one: www.marksdailyapple.com It works for me.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA