Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rocks bbq

Options

Comments

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    You don't have to bother him right now @sgh. I may give him a shout tomorrow. Thanks though!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    fusionhq said:
    You don't have to bother him right now @sgh. I may give him a shout tomorrow. Thanks though!
    I texted him. He did not respond. He may be busy. I'm sure he will be along soon though. He has helped me before with phone and computer issues. Knows his business on gadgets.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    @fusionhq  After seeing what you and @Ikapigian are going through I am glad I have comcast and bought my Netgear wireless router !
    Gambrills,Maryland

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Not sure where you are located @fusionhq but if you can get it figured out soon, the sooner you will not be frustrated and I'm sure @cazzy won't mind. He's great peeps.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    @fusionhq  your not ready for your public IP yet, that's last and that will go in whatever app you are using.....everything from here will be done from the Stoker a setting Page, if @cazzy doesn't get to you, I will get you the final steps...you are right there, I just need to get back into my stoker and get you the settings
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Blassiter
    Blassiter Posts: 195
    Options
    My ISP blocks port 80 for residential accounts. I configured my external port as 8080 and my internal port to 80. When I access my IP from outside my network, I connect to my IP followed by the port number. For example, let's say my IP is 70.44.120.32. I would type 70.44.120.32:8080 in my browser. See if this is your issue as well.

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• fusionhq
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    @fusionhq  your not ready for your public IP yet, that's last and that will go in whatever app you are using.....everything from here will be done from the Stoker a setting Page, if @cazzy doesn't get to you, I will get you the final steps...you are right there, I just need to get back into my stoker and get you the settings
    I know I'm close. Just gotta be missing something. 
  • Blassiter
    Options
    Just got my Stoker today and had similar issues at first. Hopefully this screenshot helps describe what I discussed in my last post. 

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• fusionhq
    Options
    That makes sense @Blassiter, I need to figure out how to set that up in the ATT admin screen.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Blassiter said:
    Just got my Stoker today and had similar issues at first. Hopefully this screenshot helps describe what I discussed in my last post. 

Nailed it here. Many ISPs block *incoming* connections to port 80. On your Linksys router there you are redirecting incoming requests on WAN interface port 8080 to your Stoker LAN interface on port 80. Not all routers are capable of rewriting the request from one port to another.

I have no experience with ATT Uverse or the Pace routers, so I can't offer much help if this is the case or not.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fusionhq
    Options
    This sounds like the root of the problem. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Just catching up on this thread.  Blassiter is on the right track and it is pretty much what I did when I set up my thread.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • fusionhq
    Options
    Thanks @Cazzy ...My issue is connecting from outside my home network.  I cannot get my ISP to open up port 80. 
  • cazzy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm not going back to read all this so give me a synopsis.  One person who is legit at networking is @yogi84

ISP is at&t?  Router?  Personal or all in one from at&t?
  • DMW
    Options
    fusionhq said:
    Thanks @Cazzy ...My issue is connecting from outside my home network.  I cannot get my ISP to open up port 80. 
    Good chance they never will, unless you upgrade to a "Business class" account. Will need to see if you can setup your router to redirect from another port to port 80, or change the Stoker to listen on another port and forward that one in.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Blassiter
    Options
    Can you give us your model number of your ATT router? Should be able to pull up the manual and get you straight if the router will do it. 

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• fusionhq
    Options
    Please don't go back...there's a lot of nonsense...the last page or two probably has it all..  I have ATT Uverse wireless in the house...I setup my stoker to operate via any device as long as I'm on the network...everything works...

My dilemma now is being able to access my stoker remotely, using my public IP, and port forwarding 80.  Unfortunately, I'm using the ATT router, and not a linksys, or I probably could have gotten it by now. 
  • fusionhq
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I'm not going back to read all this so give me a synopsis.  One person who is legit at networking is @yogi84

ISP is at&t?  Router?  Personal or all in one from at&t?
    AT&T, Pace 5031NV, personal.
  • DMW
    edited March 2015
    Options
    fusionhq said:
    Please don't go back...there's a lot of nonsense...the last page or two probably has it all..  I have ATT Uverse wireless in the house...I setup my stoker to operate via any device as long as I'm on the network...everything works...

My dilemma now is being able to access my stoker remotely, using my public IP, and port forwarding 80.  Unfortunately, I'm using the ATT router, and not a linksys, or I probably could have gotten it by now. 
    Find out if you can get that crappy router they provide setup in "bridge" mode and buy your own router. Any current Linksys or Netgear, etc router will be much more configurable than whatever they provide.

The reason they limit the configurability in the routers they provide is they need to provide support for it. The more buttons to push and dials to turn, the longer the troubleshooting flow charts need to be for the college dropouts entry level positions that man their call centers. If you put their device in bridge mode and assume responsibility for configuring your router, you are on your own, but can make it do what you want.

If you aren't sure if you can set it up on your own, find a neighborhood geek willing to help for BBQ. You can find these sorts by looking for teenage boys with pale complexions and no girlfriend...  

Edit: I'm allowed to make gross generalizations like this, I used to be one. :smiley: 

Although back then it was BBS and ham radio, not this fancy packet switched Internet stuff...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Blassiter
    Options

https://forums.att.com/t5/Third-Party-Devices/how-to-setup-port-forwarding-on-PACE-5031NV/td-p/3608975

See if this helps. Should be able to follow these steps. When it asks for port (range), enter 8080 in the "from" box.

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    But port 80 is http or web traffic.  Not sure how this can't be available.   My guess is port 80 is forwarding to an ip that isn't your Stoker.  That would be one reason for a timeout. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Blassiter
    Options
    In the Map to Host box, enter 80

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• Blassiter
    Options
    ISPs do not want you to set up a web server if you do not have a business account. Most will block port 80 for residences unless you pay extra to host a website.

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• DMW
    Options
    4Runner said:
    But port 80 is http or web traffic.  Not sure how this can't be available.   My guess is port 80 is forwarding to an ip that isn't your Stoker.  That would be one reason for a timeout. 
    A webserver listens on TCP port 80. A client connection originates from a random high number port (Ephemeral http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephemeral_port).
    Many residential ISPs block Incoming traffic to port 80. This is done to prevent subscribers from running Web servers from a low cost residential account. This does not restrict web browsing traffic to servers on the Internet listening on port 80.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• 4Runner
    Options
    Didn't intend to imply web browsing would be impacted.  Just never thought of ISPs blocking a simple web server.  The ATT site lists when you would need to forward port 80 in the case of a web server so not sure they intend to prevent this. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • lkapigian
    Options
    port 80 to 80 works...you need to get your subnet and gateway numbers and them into the rocks set up page..you will also enter your WiFi ip  there, uncheck DHCP, save enter public IP in your app
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's a great product , but I think it would be nice if it came with its own APP that made this more seamless . I think they relied on Twitter a lot which really doesn't work anymore Without going through something. Mines working and remote works as well as wifi with the freedom
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fusionhq
    Options
    I agree...it's been a little tough so farr!
  • cazzy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Get your own router, then call ATT and have them disable the router in their all in one.  That's what I did when my wife had them.  I hate all in one devices that peeps get from their ISP.  As stated above, they are very locked down and lack several features that even low end routers have.  
  • 4Runner
    Options
    Plus 1 on @cazzy post.  Not sure about Uverse but with Time Warner you can turn in their modem and buy your own and save $5 - $8 per month.  The modem pays for itself in a year or so.  Then add your favorite wifi router and  then you can manage it the way you want.