Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezing Meat

Options
I have thought about buying a freezer to stock up on pork butts, steaks, etc. but am not sure the meat would be as good after its frozen. Do any of you stock up and have good results?

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Yup.  Haven't had any issues if vacuum sealed and don't keep >12 months.
  • Blassiter
    Blassiter Posts: 195
    Options
    Guess I should invest in vacuum sealer? Any suggestions?

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Timely question.  Lots of threads on this forum if you search.  Mine died this AM, Food Saver that was probably 15 years old.  Lots of people swear by the chamber commercial models, I decided to try the food saver that Costco has because my last one was good and if I don't like the new one, it's Costco and I can take it back easily.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Have to say yes to both, freezer and Food Saver.  I've had the food saver for about 6 years and their customer service is outstanding backing up the warranty.  They accidentally sent me two replacements and said just keep it, so I gave it to my son.  

If you have a freezer you need a vac packer, you'll never have moldy cheese either.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Ok to freeze and even better when vacuum sealed. When I vacuum seal I put the date on the package as a way of keeping track. 
    McKinney, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    We are on just our 3rd freezer in over 40 years. Just not sure who spreads the rumor that frozen meat etc doesn't taste the same as grocery store red meat bought that day! Sure it the meat wasn't properly protected like in a Food Saver bag then it could get freezer burnt. We buy meat in bulk and on sale. We also dry age large sub-primals of meat weighing 12 to 20 pounds and then steak them out and freeze. Also we buy items on sale like pounds and pounds of bacon and butter. Then I also make various soups and freeze them into individual serving sizes. Ribs go on sale and I'll buy 6 to 10 racks at a time! I could just go on and on!

Then there is the added convenience and meal planning advantages on top of the food cost savings. Guess you can tell we are freezer advocates! LOL

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    @RRP Butter freezes well?

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    I just got a freezer and food saver at the end of last year. We are just starting to but whole pork loins and other cuts and food saver them or cut down. My question is how do you thaw your meat?  I have heard never leave it on the counter or it will smell bad when opened and had this experience with a chuck roast. Thanks. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    @EGGjlmh yes

Options
    Learn something new on here every day

• RRP
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    Sure does! In fact I have never wrapped the pound boxes just stack them on the shelf! If you prefer margarine it also freezes fine as is! 
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Thanks!

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    About the only thing that doesn't freeze well is some cheeses. Their texture can get weird and crumbly. My father-in-law even freezes milk.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Blassiter
    Options
    @RRP, guess the ones spreading the rumors don't have a vacuum sealer.  ;) 

We have always put meat in ziplock bag and thrown in freezer knowing we were going to cook it within a couple weeks. Unfortunately, we forget about the food sometimes and when we go to get it, it's got freezer burn and tastes like crap. Now that I have the Egg, I am cooking a lot more and taking much more pride in what I put on it. Not firing up the Egg for something that is not up to par. 

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• RRP
    Options

Smokinpig said:
    I just got a freezer and food saver at the end of last year. We are just starting to but whole pork loins and other cuts and food saver them or cut down. My question is how do you thaw your meat?  I have heard never leave it on the counter or it will smell bad when opened and had this experience with a chuck roast. Thanks. 
    For years when both of us were working then every Sunday we planned our meals for the full 7 days ahead. That way we could work around any late nights that I had to work etc. It also meant our menus would be varied plus who was cooking what. We both had some stressful carreer times and not having to figure out supper at the last moment eliminated that added stress! It also meant that we ate right and didn't succumb to going out or bringing home fattening fast food! 
    Obviously with this organization in place it was easy to get in the habit of getting the next night's food out of the freezer and letting it thaw in the top shelf of the kitchen refrigerator. We tried thawing in the microwave but I hated that, so the overnight thaw worked for us! 
    On top of the benefits I just described you have to realize there is a clear cost savings to this whole freezer & buying on sale mindset that has worked for us all these years including the past 10 years we have been retired! The method works! 
  • Blassiter
    Options
    @smokinpig, I am curious about thawing as well. How do you thaw a 10 pound butt or roast? Guessing you would put in fridge for a couple days.

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• RRP
    Options
    Blassiter said:
    @smokinpig, I am curious about thawing as well. How do you thaw a 10 pound butt or roast? Guessing you would put in fridge for a couple days.
    Or 3 days. My philosophy on large chunks or even turkeys that I would rather have that meat thawed completely than not thawed thorough out. And since it was going from frozen to thawed but still in a 36-38 degree environment there was no risk of spoilage. That make sense? At least that has worked fine for us!
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    Thanks @RRP I have thawed some planned out meals in the fridge overnight as you suggested. Spur of the moment meals we have thawed on the counter and now we are trying the method of putting them in cold water. I like your plan though and agree on shopping the sales. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Blassiter
    Options
    Thanks RRP. That makes sense and look forward to trying it.

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    @Blassiter  make sure you get a foodsaver that is easily compatible with dry age bags. Mr. Ron @RRPwill get you pointed in the right direction. 
  • RRP
    Options

Blassiter said:
    @RRP, guess the ones spreading the rumors don't have a vacuum sealer.  ;) 

Unfortunately, we forget about the food sometimes and when we go to get it, it's got freezer burn

Oh I hear you! Even though I prefer our upright freezer style vs a chest type then orphans can still suddenly appear! Just Friday night I discovered a 2 pound bag of never opened raw shrimp of the 21-30 count size which somehow had gotten pushed to the back on the bottom shelf. Though the date on it said "best by July 2012" I already knew it was going in the trash when I pulled it out and saw the freezer burn plus all the frozen ice crystals making that a 2 pound block of solid waste. 

That does remind me of this hint - no matter what or how you place items in your freezer put your own date on them with a permanent marker whether it be in FS bags or otherwise.
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options
    @RRP you are a true renaissance man! I have a feeling if there was a question ranging from Algebra to Zebras you would have an insightful answer on the subject. 

@blassiter my 2 cents on the thawing question is for solid cuts (steaks, chops, etc) I submerge them, still in their cryo bags, in cold water until they are fully defrosted.  For items that I like to brine before cooking (whole chicken, chicken wings, etc.) I submerge them in a cold water brine until thawed, killing 2 birds with one stone.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Buy on sale, portion out, vac save (date & label each pkg), freeze. I defrost most of the time in the frig or in a pinch under running water. No texture or flavor compromised. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Blassiter said:
    I try to figure out what I'm going to make the following weekend and get those items out of the freezer on Monday or Tuesday so they are thawed by Saturday.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    +1 on vac sealing.    I did go all the way with a chamber sealer,  Vacmaster P215.   You take a big hit on the price  but the bags are cheaper than  Foodsaver type bags.  Not that I'll ever recoup the $$  on this sucker (pardon pun)  but it really does a pro job  & will do liquids & liquidy stuff  without risking the machine.

Plus my wife's visiting LPN  has started bringing her foodstuffs  by to seal when she drops in  AND  my daughter is buying more meat at Sams & dropping by to vac seal it all.    We're very popular now.

The VP215  is large  (really needs its own microwave cart)  so you might look at the VP112.That's what I probably SHOULD have gotten  but I'm such a hoe for dials, leds etc  

LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Buy on sale, portion out, vac save (date & label each pkg), freeze. I defrost most of the time in the frig or in a pinch under running water. No texture or flavor compromised. 
    Agreed and if you have a Trés Booblay, you can season, butter or oil and put the Foodsaver bag with the frozen food right into the sous vide. This way you cook in the bag you stored it in. 
    Pulled pork that has been frozen thaws very well in the sous vide with, according to SWMBO, better texture than the day it was pulled. 
    We even save sauces and gravies in remeasured amounts. I usually freeze them in a Solo cup and then FoodSaver them. Even water you have boiled spuds in is great to make gravy. Could not be without our freezer. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Smokinpig
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Do you guys flash freeze any of your meat before vac sealing for the longer freeze? I had read that recently and never tried it. I appreciate all the tips I can pick up.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    too new with mine to know.    Interested in technique of that too
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    We too buy in bulk and freeze in an upright freezer. Primarily pre-packaged items or cryovaced full sub-primals. Will be getting a vacuum sealer soon to do our own packaging and to use with the immersion circulator. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • leo123
    leo123 Posts: 101
    Options
    what model of food saver would you suggest to purchase.