Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beef tenderloin for easter dinner,,, the heck with the ham

Options
laserdoc85
laserdoc85 Posts: 577
Never cooked a beef tenderloin on my egg before. Do I need to tie it or not and if so how is this done? Do I just fold it in half and tie it up or fold the ends in to the center and tie?
Jefferson .GA.  
Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Not necessary, but it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFIwbUBiRSE

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• laserdoc85
    Options
    Thanks
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Hey, great choice. I love ham, but tenderloin rules! You will have a happy bunch. I would make sure the egg is very clean and free of residual smoking wood and animal fats. The tenderloin shines on its own, IMHO. 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Reverse sear that bad boy... I'd tie it if the ends are skinny.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    MMMmmmmm... we, too, are doing BT for Easter. Grocery chain (Giant) had it on sale for $10.99/lb when most places had it for $16.99/lb.
  • laserdoc85
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Publix has it for 12.99/lb
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    OK another question. Sear first on last? I say last cause it is easier to bring the temp up from 275 than down from 500 or 600. The wife says first but I disagree. So I need a vote here :)
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    OK another question. Sear first on last? I say last cause it is easier to bring the temp up from 275 than down from 500 or 600. The wife says first but I disagree. So I need a vote here :)
    You are correct sir. Called reverse sear. Actually better than the traditional sear first method we all did prior to BGE's. 
  • MBJ
    MBJ Posts: 3
    Options
    Sounds tasty. Beef tenderloin make great sliders on Brioche rolls if you have any leftovers.  Just did my first brisket today. It turned out great. I have a medium egg too. Do you have trouble keeping the egg at temperature? I had to keep adjusting the daisy wheel top and the bottom door. Finally had the door all the way open with the screen open too  and the daisy wheel was all the way open. Do you have a technique that works? Since you have been using the med egg since 1985 I am sure you have figured out how. Thanks
  • laserdoc85
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Bottom vent about the width of two fingers. Daisy wheel turned so all vents are full open and then the lid about the size of your pinky finger for the opening. Gets me about 300. I always have both top and bottom open all the way and when the temp hits about 400 close down your vents. Should settle in at 300 in about 10 to 15 min. When I light it I have the bottom open and the lid open until I see flames jumping then close the lid and vent the top open all the way as I explained above until you hit that 4 to 450 mark then adjust your  bottom and top. The way you vented in your post with both vents open all the way you should have pegged your temp to 7 or 900. If you want about 250 then use the one finger width on the bottom and the daisy wheel lid closed with the vents wide open. Bottom vent makes big jumps in temps and the top makes smaller ones. Each egg is a bit different because some charcoal may burn hotter than others and everyone does not start off with a totally cleaned out firebox from ashes. But try the two finger trick and see if you end up with around 300. You will also find out that a temp of 25 degrees either way does not make a big difference in your cook. Everything  turns out great in the end. I like chickens best. A whole fryer on the egg for about a hour and 15 min at 300 is great. Open the lid and grab a leg and if you can pull it off your done.
    I think new guys get frustrated with trying get dial in the temp and adjust to much. Set it and leave it cause after you adjust the top it will take a good 15 min to settle in. Don't fiddle with them as much trying  to dial it in. The egg will dial itself in.
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • MBJ
    MBJ Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for all the information. I started at 10 am with almost a full firebox. I took it up to 450-500 to burn off the Florida crud that seems to grow no matter how much we clean it out. By 6:30pm when I pulled the brisket out only ash was left. That explains the drop in temp at the end. If I need to have a longer cook I guess I will need to learn how to put more charcoal in. 
    I need to use the egg more and hope to do so now that we are retired :)  It was a gift from my husband about 8 years ago. Thanksgiving turkey has also been a favorite, 3 so far.  I agree chicken is super good done in the egg. Next will be a pork butt or a fresh ham. The brisket was super good. Very juicy. It was equally as good today still nice and moist. I have had good luck with salmon also.
    Thanks again.