Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggcitable One, I have an Idea

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Grease Fire!
Tonight while making my Pork Chops, I experienced a situation similar to what you described with flames shooting out the top of my small egg. The boneless pork loin roast that I used to cut the pork chops from had a nice fat cap. For whatever reason, mostly I was hungry, I put the chops on with the temp at 350 but left the vents wide open. To account for lower temperatures, I figured that I would just flip the chops every five minutes for about twenty minutes. The temp was hovering around 400 and everything was going fine until the last four minutes.[p]I went inside to put everything on the table, when I came outside there were flames shooting out the top and the temp was over 600. I retrieved the chops before they were ruined, but they were blackened. Because they were Jerk style, the flavor was not ruined but they were overdone.[p]I blame the nice fat cap. On a lower temperature, the fat helps however in a high temp sear, the fat melts quickly and burns. One of the chops was still on fire when I put on the plate.[p]Delmonico Steaks have a higher fat content, especially if they are close to Ribeyes. This could account for a possible grease fire. Whadayatink?[p]Go tribe,
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    On the small, I have also had a lot of flames from the lump from a real thick sirloin I was grilling at about 650F. Even though there wasn't all that much fat, the flames were definately kissing the meat.[p]I haven't had the fire shooting out the top volcano style but I'm sure that with enough fat and the high temp that it is an easy thing to do. With the small, the coals are so close to the meat that even a little fat will cause flameups. I have ordered a second fire ring for the small (haven't got it yet) just to get the meat a little higher up. I'll be interested to see if that has any effect on the high temp cooks.
    JimW

• JimW, I think you will be real pleased with using the second fire ring on the small BGE. It solves a lot problems,from searing to roasting at 300-350. I have also put second grid between the fire rings for to make room for drip pan on lo/so. Jack

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    extragratesmall.jpg
    <p />JimW,
    This is the extra grate i made for my small egg,it makes the small cook like the large egg.
    YB

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Jack N,
    What kind and size drip pan do you use?
    JimW

• RhumAndJerk,[p]Thanks for your persistent efforts to improve my delmonicos. I tried another round of delmonicos this week with greater success. I still had flame problems, but I used a much shorter sear and dwell as suggested by one of the EGGsperts below. Even before the meat was on the grill, humpty looked a little like vesuvius with flames shooting up through the open vent. I suspect the flame problem was reduced this time because I was only cooking two 8oz steaks instead of 6 10 oz steaks like before.[p]Although the second round was much better than the first, I am still struggling. To help me this time, I used a Williams-Sonoma, polder-style, thermometer. A very strange thing happened. Both steaks were seared at about 650 for about 1.5 mins per side. After about a 2.5 minute dwell, the polder starts beeping, indicating a 160 degree center of the steak as programmed. This should have been a medium cooked steak. As it turned out, the steak was on the rare side of medium rare. I then popped the polder into the second steak, and it read approximately 115 degrees. It took nearly 10 mins to get the polder up to 160. When I took the second steak out, it was on the well done side of medium-well. [p]I am confused. The polder was in the center of both steaks. How could the temperature of the meat be the same and the meat be finished so differently at such different cooking times?[p]Regards,
    E1

• JimW, Target Sell both 8" & 9" metal cake pan. Also I have used 8" disposible alum. pie pan.