Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ...Maverick...Stoker...

I'm trying to decide between these three. I have been reading previous posts gathering up as much info as I can. My head is spinning.

Is there much of a difference (beside the price), between these for unattended cooks. I'm interested in hearing from those with more experience with using them.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    I would add Flame Boss 100 to your consideration list.

Regardless of pit controller I would still get a Maverick 732 or 733.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    I have flame boss 100 cheap simple works great
  • EggMax
    EggMax Posts: 4
    If you are any kind of a tech geek the Heatermeter gives you the best controller out there IMO.  Google it.

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    I've used my maverick for 3 years and have loved it. Just received my new Stoker wifi yesterday so haven't cooked yet. But it is very well made and with built in web interface, very cool. 
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2015

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    used my Stoker last night for the first time..even though the Egg really needs no help, this tool it to the next level of consistency 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    I think what Michael is trying to say is that he doesn't think much of electronics for the egg ... =)

You've asked about three units with vastly different capabilities.

The Maverick units simply measure pit and food temps and transmit that data to a receiver close by.  They allow you to go about your business (working or sleeping) at home and will alert you if the temps go astray.  Relatively inexpensive ... $55 to $80.

The DigiQ and the Flame Boss 100 units measure pit and foot temps, but don't transmit that data anyplace ... they do have a temp readout on the units, but that's right by the egg.  Their main strength is that they control the pit temperature so you don't have to tweak the vent settings.  The cost goes up for these units ... $200 to $300.

Many folks (myself included) combine the two units ... one to control the pit temp and one to give a remote reading.  Although they have some aggravating idiosyncrasies, all of the above are relatively easy to program and operate.

The Stoker effectively combines the features of the Maverick and the DigiQ and then doubles down with more features.  It controls the pit temp while monitoring the meat temp.  It connects to your wi/fi for the ability to remotely read and control temps.  While the Maverick, DigiQ, and Flame Boss 100 units read only one pit temp and one food temp, the Stoker is expandable to control and monitor several eggs and a number of food temps on each egg.  With software, the outputs can be plotted to show trend lines during the cook ... can clearly show that you're in a stall and have been for x minutes.  The basic unit is $330 with a number of upgrades available.

The Stoker is not a plug and play unit, but if you're technically savvy it provides hours of nerd entertainment.  Maybe @NPHuskerFL can provide more detail on the Stoker.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Thanks to everyone for the sound info and advice. Always nice to hear it from the folks with experience.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    EggMax said:
    If you are any kind of a tech geek the Heatermeter gives you the best controller out there IMO.  Google it.

Just looked up the HeaterMeter .. very interesting .. I think I might try and build this .. interesting summer project :-)
    Some interesting links I found on this:
    Forum:  http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?85-LinkMeter-v2-Homebrew-BBQ-Controller
    Kit:  https://www.tindie.com/products/CapnBry/heatermeter-v42-kit/
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Like your screen name. That is one of my favorite Montana brews when I am out there.
    http://bigskybrew.com/beers/moose-drool/

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Smokinpig said:
    Like your screen name. That is one of my favorite Montana brews when I am out there.
    http://bigskybrew.com/beers/moose-drool/

Thanks, but since I used MD as my screen name I have found some wonderful brews locally here in Southern Oregon.