Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SmoBoT grill controller beta prototype ~complete!

Options
Hi All,

I started a new thread because the one from last year was getting to be quite long.  Here is the link to refresh memories:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163874/my-homemade-digital-temperature-controller/p1

After about a year, this project is about wrapped up.  Have a look at the pictures of the hardware:

There are 39 people who explicitly asked to participate in this project, but as I recall there were a handful more who expressed interest.  If the upcoming lot of 50 runs out I may or may not consider making another batch - It just depends on how much fun it is assembling all of these.

This is the written update I sent out by email earlier, in case I missed anyone or ended up in some spam boxes:

***********************************************************************************
********************** March Update ********************************************

***********************************************************************************

*Damper Mechanical Hardware*

No change.  Everything to do with the damper hardware is finished, aside from the few more hardware sets that are yet to be assembled. 

*Temperature Sensing*
No change since July.  I have enough food probes for every unit to get two (one per food sensing channel).

*Controller Electronics*

The design is complete.  Two sample boards have been ordered from a board fabrication house, and they should be arriving in a couple of days.  As long as everything fits okay, I'll order 55 additional immediately and begin assembling them upon receipt.

The new WiFi module works well, and I'm happy with it.

*Controller Enclosure*

See the attached pictures of the first completed enclosure.  All design work and CNC programming has been completed, so I just need to hit the button to start turning these out.  I can make changes still if there is motivation based on feedback.  What does everyone think?

*Controller Software*

I'll be making some tuneups to the software to finalize menus and such.

*General Outlook*

Design work is 100% complete unless anyone wants changes.

I'll be testing shortly to find out how many days straight this thing can run on one set of batteries, and to experiment with pouring water on it while it's running.  The battery life will depend on WiFi usage, so I might try one test with WiFi on, and another with WiFi turned off.

I’ll be in touch soon to start addressing logistics of getting controllers to people.  I think we came in below expected cost, but a final number will follow soon.

Please feel free to email me with any questions or suggestions.  I'm very excited for feedback from you all, and am looking forward to building this lot so we can all get to cooking!  :-)

Kind regards,
Eric

Comments

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Well darn... I should be getting a stoker on my steps tomorrow.  I really liked your new approach. Kudos.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    this is so cool, I would definitely be interested. great job.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    Wow, looks great...nice job
  • jeroldharter
    Options
  • reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    Options
    Thanks jls9595!  Feel free to shoot me an email and I'll as you to the contact sheet: ereinhart36@gmail.com

The development has been a lot of fun for me, but I'm also excited to move into the next phase - supporting users and making improvements.

Thanks busters and Jerold for the compliments!

Eric

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    That is very cool. Tech question for you: why did you choose that controller over another?  I ask because I've been playing with arduino and I'm new to these things. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • reinhart36
    Options
    Thanks blind99!

Are you referring to the quasi-passive damper approach instead of a fan?
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    anyone else having trouble opening the old thread?
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • reinhart36
    Options
    Yes, which is weird.  It worked earlier briefly.  I tried to post to it to let original thread subscribers know that there was this new conversation, but it just stopped responding.

Hopefully the moderators are aware that this is not a profit project, but for fun and by request of many enthusiasts here (in case I'm ruffling feathers).

Well, people might want to find the link to the original show-off video, lost with the old link:

https://vimeo.com/90480641

Thanks,
    Eric

• blind99
    Options
    No, sorry, I meant the choice of micro controller. 

@jls9595 0old thread was working for me
  • reinhart36
    Options
    I chose a PIC controller mostly because it's such a low-level, blank canvas sort or starting place that it afforded me maximum flexibility.  Also, I had a solid familiarity with them and building my own boards, so it seemed easier than learning to use an existing controller "package" like an arduino or the like.  Plus, the one I'm using only costs about $2, which is a steal!  :)

Do you like the Arduino?  I haven't had an opportunity to play before.
  • blind99
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I like the arduino but I have no other micro controller experience. It's been 20 years since I coded and C but the arduino code seems pretty straightforward. The arduino has a lot of inputs and outputs available and it's easy to use things like servo motors, temperature sensors, relays, LEDs. 

Ive only played with simple circuits on an Uno type board with a breadboard. I'm not sure how hard it is to translate it into more of a "finished product."
  • thegooddocta
    Options
    The Arduino project actually leverages an Atmega chipset which COULD be used for projects like this one. The Atmega chip is simply soldered to the "Arduino" board that provides the inputs / outputs etc. already connected - this makes it easy to control with the onboard Atmega running the code that you build through the Arduino tools. This makes for a nice homebrew electronics kit, but the board etc. in practice would require a lot of external components to make something real - think of all of the breadboards etc. that you're using for your Arduino projects. 

If you take a look at the open source HeaterMeter project, they actually leverage the Atmega chipset to control the thermo and fan I/O. You could think of the Arduino as an alpha prototyping tool that you'd then want to work to scale down for this sort of project.

I'm a big Arduino and Raspberry Pi fan for this type of play! ;]
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Email sent.

Fantastic work!
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Email sent. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • fadax
    fadax Posts: 32
    Options
    interested for one of this cool gadget !
    Milano-ITALY
  • lantzwr
    lantzwr Posts: 229
    Options
    Message sent.
    RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Eric,

found your orig thread:  also sent u a PM

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163874/my-homemade-digital-temperature-controller/p1

must hv been a minor typo/paste issue?  They look identical - must be an unprintable char. Paste can be nasty.  This one works though!

Doug J. Aka swordsmn
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I remember when you first posted this. Nothing short of spectacular!  :bow: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • reinhart36
    Options
    Swordsman - thanks for digging that up!  I wonder if the line continuation in my original post messed things up?  I really appreciate it!

NPHuskerFL - thanks to your for your compliments.  I'm still enthralled with your caveman steak cooking method I saw you post pictures of recently.  I'm going to try that weekend after this when I have some time.  Really cool!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Love it!  I'd be interested.
    Options
  • Earshots
    Earshots Posts: 110
    Options
    I'm interested.  Nice work!
    Tallmadge Ohio, XL and S eggs 
  • Peak
    Peak Posts: 12
    Options
    I have been looking into a temp controller. I saw your original posting, I really like your design. The only question I have, what about rain on the damper controller, is there any issue? If not, I would be interested in your controller.
  • reinhart36
    Options
    Hi Peak,

No, I think the damper/servo as its configured is impervious to rain, but I've only been using this scheme since the winter of 2011 so there could be failure modes I'm not aware of.

Thanks for your interest!

More updates to follow.  I'll be exiting another busy spell with work in about two weeks..

Kind regards,
    Eric

• reinhart36
    Options
    Hi Peak,

No, I think the damper/servo as its configured is impervious to rain, but I've only been using this scheme since the winter of 2011

Correction: since late summer / fall of 2010.

Eric