Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question cooking a small turkey roast

Options
mahenryak
mahenryak Posts: 1,324
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
I have a small boneless 3 pound turkey breast roast that I intend to cook this afternoon.  I intend to cook it indirect at 275.   I'm wondering if I should maybe pull a little before the recommended 165?  Maybe 155?

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

Comments

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Just my opinion, but I wouldn't unless you like it extra juicy. In my experience Turkey breast on an egg end up way too juicy and have a mushy feel if removed to soon. The longer you cook, the meat will firm up and have a true Turkey texture. I'm open to correction, just what I experience.
    McKinney, TX
  • mahenryak
    Options
    Lmidkiff said:
    Just my opinion, but I wouldn't unless you like it extra juicy. In my experience Turkey breast on an egg end up way too juicy and have a mushy feel if removed to soon. The longer you cook, the meat will firm up and have a true Turkey texture. I'm open to correction, just what I experience.
    Thank you.  I appreciate this.  It's my first one.

• pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    Options
    I cook thanksgiving turkey on the egg each year, I pull at 162 and rest for 15 minutes.  The turkey comes out pretty dang juicy but I find if you cook much longer it gets the classic dry turkey syndrome.  Need a drink with every bite to get it down.
  • mahenryak
    Options
    Thank you.