Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3-1-1 Baby back or other

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
does this formula work for baby back and country ribs? or do baby backs take a shorter time.....thanks,

Comments

• BrianP
    BrianP Posts: 147
    Options
    nodock,
    I use the 3/1/1.5 method for baby back ribs all the time. I just did three racks last night. They don't have as much meat as spares but my wife and I think they are a bit more tender and we just prefer them over spares. Anyway, I cook them at 225-250 using a Guru. I go for the full 3 hours over indirect heat, then foil and cook another hour or so. I find that they are always pretty much done by the end of the foil stage so I just unwrap them from the foil, remove the indirect setup and then sauce them over direc heat. I will place them back on the grill, sauce the tops, let them sit 10-15 minutes, flip and sauce the bottoms, let them sit another 10-15 minutes, and then do a final rotation - sauce the tops one last time and let them sit 10-15 minutes. Then they are ready to eat. My main problem is keep them together doing all this flipping as they are usually so tender, they want to break apart. People I serve them to rave about them so I'm pretty happy with the results.
    That final 1.5 hour stage after the foil stage will overcook the baby backs, in my opinion.[p]good luck,
    Brian

• alternity
    alternity Posts: 49
    Options
    nodock,
    I usually always cook babybacks and have never tried the 3-1-1 before. I will try it next time. My ribs are always wonderful but usually a little tough. I just go for straight 5 hours indirect about 225. I almost never use BBQ sauce on them either

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Options
    nodock,[p]I like to do baby backs 3/1.5/0.5 at 250 degrees dome temp. The last 30 minutes direct is 10 minutes per side before sauce and then about 5 minutes per side with sauce. You don't want to burn the sauce. The baby backs wind up more tender than spareribs, but mine do not "fall off the bone".[p]I have never done country ribs on the egg, but I think the cooking time would be similar.[p]Beef back ribs, on the other hand, I cook without foil indirect for 6-7 hours at 250 over a drip pan. Then I finish with or without sauce direct for a few minutes. The beef ribs really need the fat to melt away, so wrapping them in foil makes them too greasy, in my opinion. This method doesn't make them as tender as pork ribs with the foil, but I like them that way.[p]I have beef back ribs and pork baby backs on the egg today. I started the beef ribs an hour before the pork ribs. At noon, I put the baby backs in foil, and just flipped the beef ribs again. They should be done around 2PM to eat at halftime of the ACC game.
  • BrianP,[p]Brian, when you foil, do you use any liquid (or a pan), or do you just wrap the ribs in foil and put them back in the egg?
  • BrianP
    BrianP Posts: 147
    Options
    TJP,
    I just foil without any extra liquid. I tried apple juice once and the ribs took on a slightly burnt cast (maybe due to the sugar in the apple juice?). Anyway, I couldn't detect much of a difference with or without extra liquid so I just foil 'em without any extra stuff added.[p]Brian

• BrianP,thanks for your really great response.....one quick question...the last hour does the temp stay at 250????thanks again,,,