Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wifey help: 3rd egg

Options
MrCookingNurse
MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
edited March 2015 in Off Topic
trying to talk the wifey into an XLBGE. 

Any advice? She ain't buying it. Thought maybe she would go for selling the small and then buying the xl but didnt get that one last her. 

Since we've noved off we've had family up and the large isn't quiet big enough. And we've started having more friends over since I'm out of school and want some more real estate. 

What at am I looking at? About 1200$?

XLBGE 

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Go with the "we can entertain" argument. Wives love to entertain folks. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well, is it the two of you? Do you entertain? Do you own just the small? Hard sell if it's two of you and you don't entertain. If you do entertain, much easier. Larry(@badinfluence) would say man up and just do it, ha ha. More than the size of the egg, having multiples is a real game changer. Good luck, if you have one egg, I would concentrate on a second one rather than just another size. I obviously didn't read the title carefully. Oops!
  • MrCookingNurse
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @Mickey
    genius sir, pure genius

we even have a Harley dealer in town

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @pgprescott
    i currenlty have a large and small. Yes we entertain. 

XLBGE 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Make a list of the reasons she is against it and then address each one without making her mad so she won't dig in her heels! I'm lucky - we bought our first egg together and she immediately realized the advantage and proceeded to surprise me with 3 more eggs over the next few short years!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Start by picking up and leaving brochures around the house. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    If she likes to bake, you could do similar to @RRP and dedicate the small to baking. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    But on the other hand I (IMO) think you are better off with a second Large. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I agree, a second large is worth thinking about.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Grill space is like four wheel drive, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I stopped in a store in Jasper yesterday and the XL was $979.  Their prices were pretty good- the large was $699.  I'm sure this was the egg only prices. 

At the GA Mt eggfest they are $889:
    http://www.mountainegg.com/demo-eggs

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    You still cook?  :tongue: 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Just go buy it.  It's easier to beg for forgiveness than permission.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    Buy her something pretty and shiny.  Then while she is distracted get the egg delivered.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Buy the large then you dont have to buy any new accesories
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    cook861 said:
    Buy the large then you dont have to buy any new accesories
    This was my thinking when I bought my second large, now I have two of everything.  :s
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Tell her you won the XL Egg in a raffle at your local Egg dealer.  The raffle ticket to enter was only $1200.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @cook861 ... it's not nice to fib like that ... telling folks "you don't have to buy any new accessories" will earn you at least four Pinocchio awards.

@Hungry_Joe ... or, you can set up one large with the plate setter, PSWoo2, and yet to be for sale, Woo extender.  Then set up the second egg with a full AR setup.  Then you'd have one egg for the simple cooks and one for the more complex cooks.  Although, having two large eggs with a fortune in CGS hardware seems to be a little overkill when @anton produces great meals on a single medium egg ... hmmm.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    @Mickey...you are a genius, sir

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I always see the logic "buy another large so you don't have to buy new accessories".  I have never understood this logic.  Do you double large people put one platesetter in the large at the same time?  Are you able to shut both lids somehow with the setter in both eggs at the same time?

Now to on topic, get the XL.  I would even recommend sacrificing the large as bait to buy the XL, since you already have the small as your second egg.  I negotiated getting the XL with my wife by offering to sell the small and large.  Someday I will live up to my promise  ;).
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I do see the camp for a second large but like cooking 15 burgers or 7 steaks. I don't want to light two eggs when I could just do one. 

@cazzy
    ouch!

XLBGE 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    This is what I did, divorced first wife, married 2nd wife, bought XL BGE and accessories.  ;)
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Isn't it much easier to ask for forgiveness.  I paid1200 for egg, 2 bags of charcoal, nest, plate setter, ash tool, grill gripper and starter with Webers large chimney.  Additionally they delivered and setup everything for me.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    dstearn said:
    This is what I did, divorced first wife, married 2nd wife, bought XL BGE and accessories.  ;)
    @dstearn ... that approach probably made your XL one of the most expensive eggs ever ... yes?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    dstearn said:
    @dstearn ... that approach probably made your XL one of the most expensive eggs ever ... yes?
    Yes, but is was worth every penny.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited March 2015
    Options
    dstearn said:
    Yes, but is was worth every penny.
    If I had a wife I was happy with, I too would do the "keep her happy shuffle" like many here.  It's a small price to pay for a quality lady.

This wasn't the case with me, and since my divorce 10 yrs ago, I chose to stay single.  Things are sure cheaper.  An egg costs what an egg costs - no additional carpet, furniture, or wardrobe required in order to make the egg happen.

Phoenix 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    I stopped in a store in Jasper yesterday and the XL was $979.  Their prices were pretty good- the large was $699.  I'm sure this was the egg only prices. 

At the GA Mt eggfest they are $889:
    http://www.mountainegg.com/demo-eggs

Just realized I'm be in east tn that weekend. Might have to go to the fest!

XLBGE 
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Ya know we gave them the right to vote and it has been all down hill from there. Tell her she can get a new iron next week when the dealer is delivering your new egg. You need to let herknow that you are not asking her ppermission you are informing her of YOUR decision.  Pease brother.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa