Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs: rub the night before or just prior to smoking?

Options
I've cooked a lot of ribs in the past few years and they always turn out great.  I've removed silver skin and left it on, foiled and then didn't, sauced and left dry.  They've all been good and it just depends on what I'm in the mood for when I cook.   I'm going simple tomorrow:  3 racks of baby backs and 1 rack of St Louis ribs, all work just kosher salt, black pepper & granulated garlic.   One thing I've never tried is rubbing the night before and putting in the fridge overnight.   Will the salt dry the ribs out if it's on that long, or better penetrate and make them better?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    Options
    No matter. No difference i mean

You'll often hear warnings against going very long with rub be ause it could give a 'hammy' taste. it's not possible to cure them in the least bit. Even after a week. 

Simply not enough salt o do anything. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I go 30 mins for no other reason than that's how I have always done it. Most of the time it's "let's have ribs, run to the store". And that's all the time you got. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I rub them right before I put them on the Egg. Always turn out great. 
    GWN
  • st¡ke
    Options
    I screwed up and missed the window, so they sat in the fridge a week. And i have decided to do ribs and then bought and threw them on the grill within an hour. No difference. 

Except the longer you go the more of a crust you can develop. But it's marginal
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Four racks?  Rub ONE of the BB's the night before, mark with a toothpick, and cook 'em all as usual, then you tell us the difference!  
    Someone here is doing that with rubbed vs. brined brisket; I love these kinds of "side-by-side" experiments.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I'm a "prior to" type of guy. I'm not saying that the night before isn't better. It very well might be.
    I just don't plan enough time ahead very often. I do all most everything spur of the moment.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• st¡ke
    Options
    Meant to say. You asked specifically if the salt would dry out the ribs

you could bury them in salt overnight and the answer would still be no. 

Sugar draws more water from meat than salt does. And no one worries about that. 

Peeps be needin to cogitate. Ruminate. Edumacate
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Night before if you have the time...I've literally applied rub and put them straight on the egg when in a hurry, and it makes little difference.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    All my cooking prep is always prior , I'm lazy and like to open the meat from the pack and speed through it.
    Seattle, WA
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    I try to rub them the night before if possible. Psychologically I think it helps but doubt I would notice a difference side by side. 
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I use to do the night before and then we where out on Saturday night and had planned ribs for Sunday, when we got home it was too late for me to bother.  Couldn't tell the difference so ever since I have been doing the prep after I light the charcoal.

Gerhard
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    If you can plan enough to do them the night before you are better than me.

I usually wander by the meat and think hmmm, ribs sound good today.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    There you go survey says......ribs are great anyway you do them as long as you do them.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I agree with tinyfish. I rub them ahead when I actually plan, but if not I rub them while egg is stabilizing. Good luck and enjoy. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    st¡ke said:
    I screwed up and missed the window, so they sat in the fridge a week. And i have decided to do ribs and then bought and threw them on the grill within an hour. No difference. 

I would want the post: Should I eat ribs or pork that has set in fridge for a week? Just seems much more important. I would not. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Thanks for all the reponses.   I'll just continue being spontaneous and unprepared and rub just before throwing on the grill.  

Since I already have a thread going, I've also mostly always pulled the. Silver skin because that's what I was told I "was supposed to do".   However, when eating out at various bbq restaurants, I always find that I like the pull and crispiness if it is left on the ribs.   
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    st¡ke said:

I once ate pork that was more than a week old. It spent it's last night in an airport luggage storage. And me and another guy ate it tartare

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pgprescott
    Options
    The membrane is indigestible. It also inhibits penetration of the cub and smoke. Pull it. 
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    From what I've read and heard, the only ingredient that will significantly be absorbed into the meat is salt. If I am making my own rub, I will omit the salt. Then apply salt the night before and the remainder of the rub before smoking grilling.   

Amazingribs.com has a lot of good information regarding this.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• pgprescott
    Options
    I'm no scientist, but doesn't the salt and other spices somewhat get transferred into the meat via osmosis? The salt is the instigator, but I would think as liquid is drawn out and then back into the meat it would pick up some of the spice flavors?
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The issue is that most of the ingredients are not water soluble. Salt and sugar are, but that's normally it. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• pgprescott
    Options
    The issue is that most of the ingredients are not water soluble. Salt and sugar are, but that's normally it. 
    Ahh I see.