Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just Me 2nite; Time to Experiment!

BBQfan1
BBQfan1 Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
119-1905_IMG.jpg
<p />Denise and Hannah wanted to get out and take advantage of the warm weather, and so they took off shopping for the day, including a drive to IKEA in a town an hour away, which they are still doing. For me, enjoying the warm weather means bbq, so I stayed behind and fired up the Egg.
I've never been one to use much fruit paired with pork, although I've been told they go excellent together. Since Denise isn't one for sauces much, tonight was the time to experiment a little bit.
Did a couple of pork tenderloins over some cherry smoke and seasoned with our soon-to-released Dizzy Pig 'Shaking the Tree' rub, which has plenty of lemon and pepper tones to it.
Had some frozen wild blueberries in the freezer that needed to be used up, so I did up a sauce with some melted butter, pearl onion slices, the blueberries, some blackberry Cassis wine, a splash of Galiano (vanilla flavoured liquour), some ground pepper, balsamic vinegar and a bit of arrowroot to thicken.
When the tenderloins were 140-145 internal, I removed and rested while I finished up the sauce. (It was at this point where I debated whether to get the 'motorboat' stick blender out and smooth/thicken the sauce that way, or leave it with whole berries and thicken with the arrowroot. Went the rustic route with the full berries and I think it was a good decision. If you were one to prefer a smooth, thick sauce, I'd say to puree the berry mixture at this point).
When juices settled, sliced the tenderloins at about a half inch thickness and then drizzled the blueberry sauce overtop. Thought it turned out pretty good!
Not much on the camera work, but hope this looks pretty enough for all you food pic fans out there.
Qfan[p]

Comments

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    BBQfan1,[p]Gawd! that's too beautiful to eat![p]DD
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    BBQfan1,
    Mucho nice! Those nights alone are great! Good job![p]Mike

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    BBQfan1,[p]Great looking dish! I have a recipe that sounds
    very close except the rub. It's easier to collect them
    than it is to make them, I really should try
    it sometime. [p]Here it is in case you are curious.[p]Blueberry-Onion Sauced Pork Tenderloin
    courtesy North American Blueberry Council [p]Recipe Summary
    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 40 minutes
    Yield: 4 servings [p]3/4 to 1 pound pork tenderloin
    2 tablespoons butter, divided
    2 medium onions, sliced
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1/4 cup port wine or sweet sherry
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
    1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes[p]Preheat broiler. Broil pork, turning occasionally
    until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove to
    a platter; cover to keep warm.
    Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high
    heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add onions,
    salt and pepper; cook until onions are golden,
    about 10 minutes. Add sugar; cook until onions
    are caramelized, 3 minutes longer. Add port,
    balsamic, blueberries and tomatoes and bring
    to a boil. Remove from heat. Thinly slice pork
    and serve with sauce.

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    BabyBoomBBQ ,
    Yeah, that was the primary dish that I saw when I did the web search before starting out! I couldn't see not seasoning the tenderloin before cooking, of course, so that introduced the Shaking the Tree and I had no sherry or dark red wine, so that led to the Cassis and then the Galiano was just my own little thing. I'm doing the Atkins program, so I did 2 envelopes of Spenda in place of the sugar as well (forgot to mention that in the original post).
    Qfan

• PIG PEN
    PIG PEN Posts: 12
    BBQfan1,
    WOW Looks real good Mike I am going to call you on this one!

• BBQfan1,
    Looks good to me! Nice!