Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Issue

Options
My gasket is starting to look like the photo below and I am wondering how to fix it.

Mt. Washington, KY
Large Egg
iGrill2

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Hard to tell from the pic. Is it peeling off, charred/fried etc?  If the unit is 1yr or less get a new gasket under manufacturers warranty.  Or go ahead and upgrade to a Rutland now and be done with it. If that interests you... Contact Ron  @RRP
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • kywaterfowler
    Options
    It's doing it in the back and it's like the lid is rolling it back when I close the lid.  I would like to replace the gasket with a Rutland gasket but I don't want to put it on there only to have it roll that one up too.
    Mt. Washington, KY
    Large Egg
    iGrill2
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    How is your final lid position? are you getting any misalignment ? have you torqued the band recently ? Perhaps the hinge action is causing the rear to rub.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    It's doing it in the back and it's like the lid is rolling it back when I close the lid.  I would like to replace the gasket with a Rutland gasket but I don't want to put it on there only to have it roll that one up too.
    Your problemnis that the plane of your base and dome are out of whack! IOW the combined rear of your egg is coming together first and is not sitting down in compliance. I could give you instructions on how to correct if you wish, but with those crappy gaskets it might be easier to wait until you do either of the previously suggested gasket replacements. BTW I'm off to bed.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • kywaterfowler
    Options
    Ok I would love some instructions.  Now the question should I do the Rutland or just the normal Nomex gasket.
    Mt. Washington, KY
    Large Egg
    iGrill2
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @kywaterfowler ... Rutland, is the only gasket you want to use. I just ordered mine from Ron yesterday.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    @SoCalTim How nice of you to join the club. perhaps 
    NW IOWA
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Perhaps you aren't far behind @kywaterfowler
    NW IOWA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Rutlands (fibreglass) and Cotronics (ceramic) are pretty much forever gaskets, installed only on the base usually. You install them with an actual gasket material like Ultra Copper which is not an adhesive, it is a gasket you are laying your gasket into (if that makes any sense). It is pretty nasty stuff but can be easily installed if you work carefully and follow the instructions. The issue to some is that neither Rutland nor Cotronics are recommended as food safe, to others it doesn't matter. The issue of food safety is likely the companies dodging the culpability issue.
    5 years ago, using a glass or ceramic gasket was the only way to get much more than a few months out of a felt gasket if you did any high temp cooks. High temp gaskets have come a long way in the past few years. Aramid and Kevlar high temp gaskets are available in the peel and stick versions that are pretty easy to change. They are a piece of cake to install and you can take the old one off in minutes.  
    I have a second generation Nomex that is coming up on three years old and still working fine, pizza @600ºF twice a month. The secret is to make sure the Nomex does not overhang the inside of the base or dome, Nomex installed on both surfaces. I like the gasket on both sides when running temp probe cables.
    Also, the dome and base must be aligned correctly - your picture indicates your's are not. Simple correction might be to close the dome, lock the hinge and loosen the dome band only. Position the dome and band and with someone holding it in position (I use SWMBO as dead weight - but never tell her that) re-torque the bolts. This might cure your hinge side rub. Otherwise you will need more help. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • kywaterfowler
    Options
    Where is the best place to get the Rutland at?
    Mt. Washington, KY
    Large Egg
    iGrill2
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @RRP - now in bed, 'cause it is almost midnight for him, can sell you the gasket with what many claim to be great instructions. I only use Rutlands on my wood stove - if you want one for your egg, Ron will have one in the mail on Monday. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!