Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok-ing on a Saturday night!

tarheelmatt
tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
The wife wanted chinese for a while so we decided that tonight was the night.  

Menu consisted of stir fry chicken, veggie Egg rolls (made in the oven), marinated cucumbers (used the sauce from the stir fry).  Wife made a homemade sweet and sour sauce for the egg rolls. 

Some pictures were taken with my phone and some with camera.  

Chicken Marinade:

Soy Sauce
Green onion
Fresh ginger
Fresh garlic
Cornstarch (not really part of the marinade, but really for the sauce)
Oyster sauce

Sauce:

Soy sauce
Orange juice
Fresh ginger
Fresh garlic
Brown Sugar
Chile paste
Hoysin sauce
Oyster sauce
Cracked pepper
DIjon mustard

1 - The lineup 

2 - Some cucumbers to go along with the meal.  They work well with the stir fry to cut some of the richness.  

3 - Made some simple egg rolls to go along with the meal (not-Egged though). 

4 - Veggies going in first. 

5 - Chicken next

6 - The egg rolls

7 - The finished product

Shot a quick video as I was finishing up the cook too.  Shows how the Egg handles stir fry.  An oven just cannot duplicate the heat like the Egg with a wok.  

https://youtu.be/pgPkY0_TJfo

------------------------------
Thomasville, NC
My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
Instagram
Facebook
My Photography Site

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Looks great. The wok was popular tonight. Did beef and veggies myself. 
  • butert
    butert Posts: 202
    Looks fantastic!
    Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.
  • tarheelmatt
    Looks great. The wok was popular tonight. Did beef and veggies myself. 
    Thanks Jason!  I was wanting beef, but we had chicken that needed to be eaten.  

Thanks @butert!
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited March 2015
    Awesome!!! Just incase you didn't know your video keeps going with what looks to be personal vids.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • theyolksonyou
    Awesome!!! Just incase you didn't know your video keeps going with what looks to personal vids.  
    Brown chicken, brown cow!
  • Mattman3969
    edited March 2015
    Damnit yolk, I skipped the BE.   Edited my post. 

analyze adapt overcome

• tarheelmatt
    Awesome!!! Just incase you didn't know your video keeps going with what looks to be personal vids.  
    Thanks @Mattman3969 !  I fixed the video now.  Copied the wrong link.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice! As soon as it warms up again, I'm breaking out the wok.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Nothing like the sound of a scorching hot wok

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• tarheelmatt
    DMW said:
    Nice! As soon as it warms up again, I'm breaking out the wok.
    It was chilly here today, but assume colder in your area.  The wok didn't disappoint!  

shucker said:
    Nothing like the sound of a scorching hot wok
    Love the sing!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Solid cook Matt!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Wow all these wok cooks that I see look awesome. Might have to spring for another accessory. 
    One question though?
    How long does it take to cook Chinese food in a wok on the egg?
    I'm asking because it seems like all Chinese food from my local take-out Chinese restaurants only takes "ten min-it".
    I call up and order, they say "ten min-it".  
    No matter what or how much I order.  It's always "ten min-it"
    Just wondering.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• theyolksonyou
     @TigerTony the time is in the prep. The cook is 10 min-it. 
  • Mattman3969
    My average including prep would be 30-45min depending on how intense the prep is.  Most cooks are 10 min or less on the egg. 

analyze adapt overcome

• tarheelmatt
    @TigerTony check out the video. The wok is singing and didn't take over 10 min. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • TigerTony
    edited March 2015
    @tarheelmatt - Ok....I'm sold. the video did it for me. Buying a wok asap. Is my Ace  bge dealer open on Sunday?

New Orleans

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @TigerTony Check out a local restaurant supply store if you have one nearby. You can get a hand hammered carbon steel wok for a decent price.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    TigerTony said:
    @tarheelmatt - Ok....I'm sold. the video did it for me. Buying a wok asap. Is my Ace  bge dealer open on Sunday?

Videoing a wok cook takes mad skillz, yo!  I've calmed down some, but damn. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Wok And Roll! :rock_on: 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• tarheelmatt
    TigerTony said:

You'll want some nice heat resistant gloves too that go up some on your arm. It gets hot when stir frying. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt

TigerTony said:

Videoing a wok cook takes mad skillz, yo!  I've calmed down some, but damn. 
    The struggle is always real....
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony said:

You'll want some nice heat resistant gloves too that go up some on your arm. It gets hot when stir frying. 
    Thanks! But I've become a pretty fast learner when dealing with fire ;)
    I would have figured that out. I think.  LOL!
    New Orleans

• tarheelmatt
    TigerTony said:
    TigerTony said:

Thanks! But I've become a pretty fast learner when dealing with fire ;)
    I would have figured that out. I think.  LOL!
    Well, I just realized today how well they come in handy. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited March 2015
    Nicely done and I love the video!! Your wok was hot and singing.  Before reading the comments below your post I had something I was going to say. I noticed you were using a regular  spatula and I thought that has got to be wicked hot doing it like that. I detected a glove on your hand at one point.   There is a tool sold for use stir frying called a Wok Chuan. For my 16" wok, I got a 19: long version for my 16" wok and it helps keep my hands away from the heat and gloveless. The shape of the head is made for use on a curved wok and the design is thousands of years old. It is a case of form following function. I got mine from the Wok Shop in San Francisco for $9.95 so it won't break the bank. 

As for the folks who were thinking of rushing out to get a wok, I would say take a little time. Your wok is a tool just like your BGE. The BGE isn't just any grill, don't settle for any wok. The flat bottomed wok BGE sells for stir frying isn't as good as a traditional curved bottom woks. Flat bottom woks are really intended for use on indoor ranges with flat tops. I will pass along the advice I was given by folks on this forum a few years ago when I was starting out:

1) Check out the WokShop in San Francisco, I believe they now have an online store within Amazon.com you can browse through. Lots of people from this board go there. If you have questions about what wok to buy for your BGE give them a call. I love the Chinese made 16" D-Handled carbon steel wok I bought there. It will last a lifetime and once it was seasoned it is the best non-stick pan I own.
    2) Get a wok spider from the Ceramic Grill store to hold your wok.
    3) Get a Grace Young Cookbook either Breath of a Wok or Stir Frying to the Skies Edge. You might want to get the book first and learn about woks and other gear before you buy.

I will add one more thing to here. I wrote some blog entries about how I got started working on the BGE and what I learned along the way. Here is a link to the first blog entry, you can find the others by looking for wok or stir fry in my index of blogs.

Big Green Egg-PT 17-Stir Frying on the Big Green Egg

Lastly don't wait for the warm weather to break out your Woks. I remember one of my first stir fries was done at 7:00PM on a January night where the temp was -2. When I opened the lid up I was having troubles keeping the temperature DOWN. Something surreal and wonderful about that.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    That looks so good love the video..I could almost smell it when you added the liquid...Awesome cook Matt.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I am speechless!  Good thing I can type.  The pictures are awesome and the wok video is cool as heck.  Looks like your chinese is as good as anything a restaurant can do if not better!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
    I love wok cooking
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Silly question but can the fire be to hot when woking? Do you limit the amount of charcoal you put in or the length of time the charcoal heats up.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Awesome Cook - love the way you posted all the details with pics and video too - excellent post!  One Q . . What's on the cucumbers?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • tarheelmatt
    jfm0830 said:
    Nicely done and I love the video!! Your wok was hot and singing.  Before reading the comments below your post I had something I was going to say. I noticed you were using a regular  spatula and I thought that has got to be wicked hot doing it like that. I detected a glove on your hand at one point.   There is a tool sold for use stir frying called a Wok Chuan. For my 16" wok, I got a 19: long version for my 16" wok and it helps keep my hands away from the heat and gloveless. The shape of the head is made for use on a curved wok and the design is thousands of years old. It is a case of form following function. I got mine from the Wok Shop in San Francisco for $9.95 so it won't break the bank. 

As for the folks who were thinking of rushing out to get a wok, I would say take a little time. Your wok is a tool just like your BGE. The BGE isn't just any grill, don't settle for any wok. The flat bottomed wok BGE sells for stir frying isn't as good as a traditional curved bottom woks. Flat bottom woks are really intended for use on indoor ranges with flat tops. I will pass along the advice I was given by folks on this forum a few years ago when I was starting out:

1) Check out the WokShop in San Francisco, I believe they now have an online store within Amazon.com you can browse through. Lots of people from this board go there. If you have questions about what wok to buy for your BGE give them a call. I love the Chinese made 16" D-Handled carbon steel wok I bought there. It will last a lifetime and once it was seasoned it is the best non-stick pan I own.
    2) Get a wok spider from the Ceramic Grill store to hold your wok.
    3) Get a Grace Young Cookbook either Breath of a Wok or Stir Frying to the Skies Edge. You might want to get the book first and learn about woks and other gear before you buy.

I will add one more thing to here. I wrote some blog entries about how I got started working on the BGE and what I learned along the way. Here is a link to the first blog entry, you can find the others by looking for wok or stir fry in my index of blogs.

Big Green Egg-PT 17-Stir Frying on the Big Green Egg

Lastly don't wait for the warm weather to break out your Woks. I remember one of my first stir fries was done at 7:00PM on a January night where the temp was -2. When I opened the lid up I was having troubles keeping the temperature DOWN. Something surreal and wonderful about that.

Jim
    Wow, thanks for the kudos and tips. 

In regards to the spatula,  I have been meaning to get one, however this El cheapo really does great. It brings out my redneck side of things too. I still belive you would need a glove of sort to handle things and the way the wok directs the heat. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site