Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anova Sous Vide for $140 tomorrow

2»

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    uh uh, keeping my fingers crossed ...

canuckland
  • Canugghead - No, SWMBO has a recipe that is in her head. DIL asked her to bring some for our grand daughter's BD this weekend, I'll take notes. Pretty simple, definite crowd pleaser - we've never brought any home. 

To cook  eggs in SV I use a zip lock and just leave some water in the bag so it sinks, another trick is to drop a couple of SS dinner knives or even marbles into the bag to keep stuff on the bottom. Dollar store great place to grab some marbles. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I just read this whole article.  Recommended reading if you like perfect soft boiled or poached eggs and have a water bath.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html
  • I should have availed myself of this (I didn't fully read the email when I got it ><).  I have the new smaller Anova on order and at this point am concerned I wont see it till next year.  I ordered it in August, saw that on the website it had a november ship date and figured Id be fine.  Now I see the ship date is december and thats only if they get all their kickstarter orders out on time (they have no eta for those of us who ordered off their website).  Not a great start to a relationship with the company.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2014
    Be patient, you'll be fine.  They were not happy with the shade on the first red ones.  They could have easily rolled with it and cranked them out to the masses.  But they didn't.  

Another factor, August was a little late to the party.  They sold a ****-ton of these units, and are shipping in the order as they were received.

Ordered a black and red, so I'm looking at x-mas, although it was projected to be here in Oct.
    Anova has been great at communicating all along.  No worries here. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Ok, mine was here waiting for me today when we got home. Perfect timing as well because I needed to unload everything from our trip and put stuff away. But, we still needed to eat tonight. So, my first cook on the Anova 2 was steak rather than eggs.

Frozen dry-aged strip steaks dropped in the bath. 1.5" steaks for 2 hours (90 minutes + 30 min for frozen) and then some Dizzy Pig Cow Lick and torched.

The texture, oh the texture... 

I need to work on my torch technique. Or, get a Searzall. Or both. The crust wasn't quite there. But the interior of the steak was like butter almost. I think eggs will be for breakfast tomorrow.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    @DMW - Sweet!  I use a larger butane torch that clips on the whole canister, plenty of heat.  Searazall sounds interesting, does it use mapp gas?  My black Anova 2 arrives tomorrow, the red one is out a month. btw, what's that Celcius nonsense  ;)
    canuckland
  • Got my $140 Amazon deal Anova and as a Sansaire user for the last 8 months I like the Sansaire better so far.  Temp wise the Anova is spot on but the water motion on my first cook drew the bags of food into the stainless steel cylinder (which I'll assume is hotter than the middle of the water bath)
    A few thermapen readings has the water near the SS cylinder a few 10th hotter and while the short re-heating I was doing tonight was not a problem I worry about longer cooks.  
  • I just read this whole article.  Recommended reading if you like perfect soft boiled or poached eggs and have a water bath.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html
    There's an app for that ;)  Chef steps has a free iPhone/Android app that has a built in SV egg cooking calculator (the app has other features as well, but I like the egg bit where it shows you what the outcome should look like).
    Near San Francisco in California
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    I bought one of these at $140. So far I have only used it twice. I have two NY strips in now and was wondering how accurate the temp was. I have it set at 134 degrees and when I checked the water temp with my thermapen, it was right on 134. This thing works great and quite too.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    I have one that I bought before Christmas. I have not perfected it yet.  I did some eggs, but to be honest I'm not sure I see the point if I'm still going to have to poach them to get the whites to set to a reasonable level.  SWMBO wasn't impressed with the ribeyes either, reverse sear or just regular old direct cook with flip, flip, flip, flip every 60 seconds or so seem to fit us better.
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    The NY strips came out great. I did cover them with sea salt for two hours before the bath.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    edited March 2015
    If you don't mind slurping a bit on the whites, I love eggs done at 149F for one hour.  The yolk is "spreadable"...not quite a solid, not a liquid.  The loose white is a little messy, but I still like them.  Just crack open on a toasted/buttered bagel or thick slice of bread.  I always put the eggs in ziplock sandwich bags in case they crack and for easier extraction.  You can fill the bag with water or not...I haven't noticed it makes a difference.

If you don't feel like egging, you can make babybacks by sealing the ribs in a foodsaver bag, and cooking 24 hours at 145-150F.  Then brush on some sauce and broil for a few minutes.

Chicken breasts at 140F for 2 hours are nice too.