Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the BGE accessory you regret purchasing the most?

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    The griddle seems like it would be great for burgers.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Yeah, that's originally why I bought it (burgers).  I like to cook a loose burger, which wouldn't cut it on the grate.  

Using it to carmalize onions came out of necessity once, when all my onion-wedges for tacos fell apart while tossing them with a marinade.  :(
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Ash tool.  Bought it when I got the egg, quickly discovered that the ash shovel from my fireplace set works to scoop out ash.  Never used the ash tool. 
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited March 2015
    I have found this thread to be very interesting. One persons junk is definitely another one's treasure. For me I use the CI grill grates, the Half Moon CI grill griddles, Maverick ET-732, the spider all the time. There were more but I am too lazy to read through a 5 pages again. I actually own several Maverick remote reads the ET-73, 732 and 733. I also have 2 of the CI grill griddles. I use one on top and one on the bottom when I make panini.

Since I have 3 LBGE's I will pick 3 items:

1) BGE Folding Grill Extender: Both this one with my first Egg. Hadn't heard about the AR at all. Used it once and it was fussy and some what flimsy so never again.
    2) Two Platesetters - When I got my second LBGE I stayed with the same size so I didn't have to buy more Eggcessories in a different size. The one item I bought two of was the Platesetter. I was aware of the AR but didn't think I needed one. I got a lot of use out of both Platesetters, but things change. I now own 3 LBGEs, two AR's and two Platesetters. that is one Platesetter too many.
    3) BGE Half Moon Flexible Wire Basket. The half moon shape is not great for fitting lots of food. The two "pointy" corners are often wasted space. I was silly enough to be looking around for a second one so I could fit more food. I went to a store that was a BGE and Weber dealer, They didn't stock the BGE item, but suggested I look at the Weber Flexible Stainless Steel Fish Basket made for the similarly sized Weber kettle. The shape is much better. It fits about 30 percent more, doesn't have dead odd shaped corners and is easier to use because there is no detachable handle to mess with. The Weber model is shown below.

@randolphcogirl (and any one else who is interested) I posted several blogs in 2014 on my website about my learning experience with the AR. They are on my website which is just a hobby site, I am not trying to sell you anything. 

The Adjustable Rig-First Impressions
    Getting to Know the Adjustable Rig
    AR Raised Indirect Baking-First Attempt
    The Adjustable Rig-Seeing Double 
    (My use case for getting a second AR)

To anyone thinking about it, you won't regret purchasing an AR. I did't think I needed one and now I own two.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    @Chubbs and @jfm0830 - hey guys I see neither of you liked the BGE grill extender. Are you spreading the legs and locking them tight? When you do it is sturdy. Take a look:

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Here's another item I never used - the multiple rib rack. I bought it the day I bought my first egg. 

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Beer can chicken cooker, spatchcocked is easier and tastes better IMHO.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    @RRP  Thanks. Yeah I did lock the legs in but I found it fussy, and was a bit tight for space and the  sloped legs seemed to get in the way. I stopped using it way before I ever found out about the AR.

My turn for a suggestion for you. I have a roast rack I use all the time that is essentially  the identical item turned upside down.Other than having a s/s finish it is identical. It was sold as a roast rack for my Kenmore Elite gas grill. I use it all the time to hold roasts up off the grill grate or drip pan. I never thought of the possibility of using it as a rib rack until I saw the BGE version. So perhaps give it a try as a roast rack.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    @RRP I need to find mine and see! I might have been using it incorrectly. Only time I used it I have a tin pan of potatoes and veggies under and a spatch on top. I remember thinking the legs got in the way. Now I have an AR so I never use it. How else are you using it Ron?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • LesMo
    LesMo Posts: 71
    Plate Setter.  I should have started with the A/R.
    Calhoun, GA - LBGE
  • RRP
    Chubbs said:
     How else are you using it Ron?
    Oh I have used it to double the number of wings in conjunction with my PS inverted otherwise the two layers won't get done about the same time. Also have used it with a drip pan under, and simply as a raised grate further from the coals. I'm one of the few here who has never bought the AR. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    edited March 2015
    jfm0830 said:
    I have a roast rack I use all the time that is essentially  the identical item turned upside down.Other than having a s/s finish it is identical. It was sold as a roast rack for my Kenmore Elite gas grill. I use it all the time to hold roasts up off the grill grate or drip pan. I never thought of the possibility of using it as a rib rack until I saw the BGE version. So perhaps give it a try as a roast rack.

Jim

Yeah, mine came with my All-Clad roasting pan, I used it "upside down" to hold chickens and ducks out of the pan drippings, to brown the skin evenly all around the bird.
    Since getting my Eggs I don't think I've used that pan/rack again.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    I wouldn't miss my platesetter, the cast iron grids, or the chicken seat. The things I bought from Tom and the original stainless grids are all I use now, in both LBGE, and SBGE.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Adrock said:
    With so many boring topics like what are you doing or drinking right now - this is refreshing and helpful. Thanks for posting. 
    I haven't had a drink in sixteen years, so I don't open that thread. Easy. Not bragging about my abstinence, but drinking cost me a job at 50 years of age.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    smbishop said:
    BGE grid lifter - get thirdeyes, I use it every cook.

Not many will agree with me, but I bought those grates that help the airflow at the bottom of the firebox for both my small and large and went back to the BGE grates soon after.  Too much lump was falling through and I have no problems with the original grates...

Small pieces of lump will fall through, but they still burn, and still add heat to the cook.  If you have no problem with the OEM grates I'm sure you could find a buyer here for your High-Ques.  

========

@smbishop

I'm with you on to much lump falling through. I'm not so much worried about the heat of that cook but the high que does seem to waste lump. Not so much on one cook but it adds up. It also makes clean-up messier, dustier, dirtier and half to clean up after each cook. On the other hand, if I did a couple quick burger spatchcock steak cooks I didn't have to clean out each time and it was just dust. 

Debating the merits........
    New Albany, Ohio 

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Agree.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    i bought the regular thermapen, not the backlit one!  :s
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Nothing yet! Thank goodness! I only have bought a few things, but they have all been put to good continuous use, Woo W/stone, Hi-Que bottom grate, Rib Rack, popper holder, ash tool, and scoop, all very useful to me. :peace: 
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    buzd504 said:
    Hi everyone! We're new to this forum. Have a large BGE (2 years) and small BGE (just got this one) and I am curious about the Adjustable Rig. Can someone post a pic? I don't know what this is and am very interested in learning more about how you use instead of the PS. Thanks!
    You don't use the AR instead of the platesetter, but the AR's shape/height precludes its use.  You can either use the oval stone for heat deflection, which sits on the bottom level of the AR, or you can get a spider and round stone (which is what I have and am very happy with) which holds the heat deflector below the AR and gives you an extra cooking level.
    When speaking to Tom at CGS he told me the AR will work fine with my xl plate setter. It may be cumbersome but for BIG ID  cooks legs up I'm a fan. I'd rather use it and keep the pizza stone for pizza alone. 

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    probably the stupidest ass thing I ever bought for the egg or otherwise

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Zippylip said:
    probably the stupidest ass thing I ever bought for the egg or otherwise

We sell a ton of the BGE electric starters. They are much heavier duty than the big box version and the offset handle keps them out of the line of fire. I've had to replace mine at home once in 12+ years. Lights quicker than starter cubes. People who don't feel comfortable with a torch etc really like them. Lots of ways to get your egg going. I make a point to use all the different devices and ways as we sell them all, and lighting the egg is definitely not a one size fits all situation I personally love the simple  "golf club" tool by BBQ Guru. Just my 2 cents. Do you use a torch or paper towels and oil?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    The turbo grate

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DTEgg
    DTEgg Posts: 93
    I vote for the beer can chicken stands, bought 3 before I learned to spatchcock, never used them since!
    LBGE
  • RRP
    These ceramic "Willie's Chicken sitters"! At least I had the smarts to return the turkey size one!

• Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    What is an A/R?    I use the heck out of my plate setter...  I have a buddy getting ready to buy a green egg to smoke, if this A/R contraption is better I will let him know so he doesn't buy the plate setter.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @jfm0830
    I agree with your statement above 100%. I also find it very interesting to see all the different opinions on various cooking accessories. That said, I haven't purchased anything that I truly regret purchasing. Everything I have bought gets used somewhere in the routine. Sure, some items sees more use than others. My most used item by a wide margin is the plate setter inside of the Woo. My least used item is the AR. I have both the round grid and round stone as well as the oval grid and oval stone for the AR. Cen Tex borrowed and used my AR at brisket camp more than I have used it in a year. It's not that I don't like the AR, I just find the Woo and plate setter set up much more convieant and faster for the majority of my cooks. I see some folks don't like the V rack. I use mine religiously on Unit #1. It makes handling and moving large cuts a breeze. I even saw where someone regretted buying the mini. The mini is my favorite and most used item by far. I wish I would have bought a mini years ago. I'm actually fixing to add another mini to my line up. You said it best above, one mans junk is another mans treasure and vice versa. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
     @sgh  pm sent

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566

Good thread. It proves one mans trash is another mans treasure. like @SGH I have things I use more then others but most things I purchased do get used.

Unlike @Little Steven I love the turbo grate and have one on both my larges. They been there since day one. I've never had a problem with temperature control or a fire go out.

The one thing I bought and never used was a half moon raised grate I picked up at an eggfest. I don't regret it, I just never found a situation where I thought I needed it.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    bcsnave said:
     @sgh  pm sent

Lol...someone is trying to snipe an AR.   B)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    cazzy said:
    bcsnave said:
     @sgh  pm sent

Lol...someone is trying to snipe an AR.   B)
    You might as well just let everyone know now that you bought that too.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS