Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook (whole packer)with new DigiQ

Options
Put on a 14.5lb choice packer yesterday @ 3pm yesterday in the hope of the cook finishing at about 11am today.  Set temp of egg to 226° and checked each hour since start (first time jitters in using a pit controller) and according to the probe it has not varied one degree off of 226°!  I could not believe it.  At 7:00am today the internal temp of the brisket is at 195° so it looks like it has cooked to temp in 17 hours.  Is not that a little fast for a 226° pit temp?  I plan to wrap in parchment paper and put in a 170° oven??

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited March 2015
    Options
    All briskets are different. At 225 my briskets averaged 1.5hrs/lb. Dont put it in the oven. Wrap in foil or butcher paper, put in cooler and cover with towels. Let it rest for 2-3 hours. Enjoy your brisky
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Agree with @DoubleEgger . FTC that thing. Also, It's done when it probes like butter. Temp is just a guide line

LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Pics or it didn't happen  =)
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    FTC !
    Gambrills,Maryland

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Did you insert the meat probe in the thickest part of the flat? The point will always register higher. If you have a thermapen or ice pick probe the flat for resistance. Once the flat probes like butter you can FTC it.
  • H12mike
    H12mike Posts: 134
    Options
    It took me awhile to figure out posting a photo.

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Looks like you have probe inserted in the point which will give you a higher reading. If you insert the probe into the thickest part of the flat you should show a lower temp.
  • H12mike
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I probed the entire brisket with the thermapen and all temps were above 195° and like soft butter.
    I did notice a slight buildup of fat drippings in the exhaust port of the DigiQ fan.  Is that normal?

Highland Village, TX

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,041
    Options
    Go big or go home.  Looking forward to sliced pics and taste report .... also never used a pit controller so no idea about the drippings.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I always thought it was moisture trapped in the egg. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• H12mike
    Options
    One more question:  Should I have the butcher trim the brisket?  He asked and I said no.  Right or wrong?  Still learning..

Highland Village, TX

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    H12mike said:
    ... I did notice a slight buildup of fat drippings in the exhaust port of the DigiQ fan.  Is that normal?
    Moisture in the exhaust tube is common.  I suspect that external airflow (wind) causes some minor back flow of air at times when the fan is off.  The moist air in the egg condenses out in the much cooler aluminum exhaust port of the fan assembly. The moisture isn't clear water, so you'll pick up some extra stuff ... smoke, fat molecules, etc.

Good looking cook.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Go big or go home.  Looking forward to sliced pics and taste report .... also never used a pit controller so no idea about the drippings.
    Ditto, looks extremely tasty
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    We will need pics to confirm this is happening....
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    H12mike said:
    ... I did notice a slight buildup of fat drippings in the exhaust port of the DigiQ fan.  Is that normal?
    New theory for your consideration:

The DigiQ unit can only increase the temperature in the egg ... via running the fan. 

To reduce the egg temperature, you have to restrict airflow out the top of the egg.  That's because some airflow can enter the egg around the fan blades when they are not running.  When the DigiQ is humming along, I play with the Smokeware cap opening from completely closed to 1/8" open until the fan is running 10 to 20% of the time.

When it's cold outside and the fan kicks on, there is smoke coming out of the Smokeware cap, the felt seal area, and the bottom vent area.  Looks like it's getting ready to explode.

Fresh air (oxygen) is being introduced into the egg every time the fan runs.  That new air grows about 20% in volume for every 100 degree increase in temperature. Between the increase in volume due to heat and the slight increase in pressure due to the fan running, there is too much air inside the egg.  Since the normal airflow exits are highly restricted, it wouldn't be too hard to imagine a slight back flow of air out the fan unit when it isn't running.

I close my screen and then insert the DigiQ adapter.  Look at the perfect circle of "crud" in the center of my screen where the adapter vent aligns. 

• H12mike
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the DigiQ.  I am still in shock on how well it performed on my first use.  That whole packer was devoured by my son in law and family yesterday, so I guess the cook was ok.  Being the Monday morning QB, I should have watched Franklins video before prepping. But that is an excuse to do another cook.  I might let my butcher (Old Town Meat Market) trim the next one.  He has owned the meat market since the early 70's and is usually the one that ends up with the county grand champion steer from the FFA.

Highland Village, TX

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I choke my dx2 down a lot to reduce the air flow also. 
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    I choke my dx2 down a lot to reduce the air flow also. 
    For 250 degrees, my large runs best with the fan unit choked down to about 1/4 open.

• H12mike
    Options
    I was able to maintain 226 with half of the first mark using Rockwood lump.

Highland Village, TX