Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time to buy a rig...which one

Options
bcsnave
bcsnave Posts: 1,009

Ok..I am gonna buy an AR.

My question is, do I get the round or the oval..and why?

Bill

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

Glenbeulah, WI

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Call Tom at Ceramic Grill Store and discuss what you want to do with it. Both are very useful and have slight advantages and disadvantages over the other. Either way you win.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • damnedhooligan
    Options
    Call Tom but in my own experience...I have the XL adj rig and got two ovals. I can easily swap them from top to bottom when needed. That was the deciding factor for me.

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I bought the R&B Oval Combo a few months ago and comment every time I use it that I was a fool to wait so long. It is a great accessory.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am lost evert me this question come up. I have yet to find a BBQ or oval option when looking at the XL AR options. (In reference to damnedhooligans post).

I have the round AR Woo Combo. And I think it is great.  But, to be honest I have yet to use the woo or round stone.  I still use my PS because I like the protection that the PS wings give probe wires, I just align the probes directly over them so there is no direct heat.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    I have 2 AR's I share between my 3 Eggs. For me I liked the way the oval stone gave cover and protection to longer cuts of meat like ribs. The other thing I like is depending on your set up and what other shelves you are using, you can use the space on the sides of the oval stone to sneak some wood chips onto the coals. Of course it it so easy to remove the entire AR, food and all, it is almost as quick to pull it out and add chips. But as other have said talk to the folks at CGS.

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • thegooddocta
    Options
    @stompbox you might consider wrapping the probe leads loosely in a couple layers of foil if you do want to get use out of the setup.
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    For now, I have plans to use the stone as a dedicated pizza stone. I have not used it yet so I haven't even checked to see if it is too big to use on the AR at that height though.
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    edited March 2015
    Options
    After speaking with Tom I got the R & B combo.  I love it. May add a top slider to it as well in the future. They are well built and very versatile. You really can't go wrong. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    One thing you may want to keep in mind. If pizza is a prime consideration and you want a double stone setup, the oval stone placed at or near the felt line in the large can cause your gasket to fry. Not a huge deal if you're planning to replace with Rutland, but worth knowing that the oval stone deflects the high heat and flames at the front and rear right into the gasket if you put it at gasket height and run over 500 or so degrees. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.