Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

JCA Style Chops Tonight

RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I prepared some thick cut pork chops. I used Mrs. Dogs Jerk, some Key Lime Juice and some good dark rhum and tossed the meat in a zip-loc bag. Tonight I will quick grill them like steaks using my new KennyG Turbo Grate Plus.[p]Oh boy, I cannot wait.
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    RhumAndJerk,[p]You're in for a treat, done this one many times myself. Also good smoked.[p]Gooooooooooo Triiiiiiiiiiiiiiiibe[p]K~G

• KennyG,
    The question remains, will Pedro get tossed when he hits Robbie or after Nagy gets tossed for retaliation?
    My guess is that Nagy is not ready to come off the DL, he just there to get suspended.[p]Hey everyone in Eggland, there is a real grudge match going on tonight at Jacobs Field, Cleveland vs. Boston. Or should I say Pedro Martinez vs. Charles Nagy fresh of the DL. Watch for the highlights on ESPN, it is going to be a wild one with lots of bad blood. I cannot believe that I actually turned down tickets for the game[p]Anyone from the East Coast, I would love to hear what the local media is saying about tonight’s game.[p]Beer, BBQ and Baseball (Football for ST and Corn). Ain’t it Great.
    Speaking of Football… Cleveland vs. Pittsburgh on Sunday. This classic match up has Cleveland looking for its first home win.[p]Oh yeah the chops will go on for three minutes per side at 700 and the dwell for ten minutes.[p]Go Tribe!
    RhumAndJerk

• KennyG
    RhumAndJerk,[p]You hit the nail right on the head. We won't see very much of Nagy tonight due to retaliation. Would love to see Manny or Thome nail Pedro in the right arm or left knee with a line drive.[p]K~G
    5inarow.gif
    and going for 6

• RhumAndJerk,[p]I'm new, let me try again. I never knew that stumbling upon the forum would be so informative and costly. In two days I have purchased the Maverick dual-probe thermometer and the Foodsaver Deluxe. Now, please tell me what "KennyG's Turbo Grate Plus" is. Thanks for the info.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    PRobinson, I'll try to fill you in (and slow you down). The ceramic grate that comes with the BGE has a hsitory of eventually breaking into pieces. 'Eventually' may be days of purchase in some cases and in others 'eventually' may be years from purchase. There seems to be no clear reason as tio why grates break but sooner or later it probably will. Now, some people have found that rather than replace the grate with a ceramic one, metal should be better. gfw found himself a metal floor drain and uses that while I believe KennyG's turbo design is a simple circle of hardware cloth (wire mesh with about 1/4" squares) set on top of a cyclinder also made from hardware cloth. It merely rests on the bottom of the BGE to replace the grate. I at least took the time after reading about these grates breaking to make a tracing of my grate so I would know how big to make it should I ever have to find an emergency repalcement for my grate. My wife just suggested that I go buy a back up and keep it. But the idea of KennyG's turbo grate is so sexy that I probably will one day try to out do him with my own design. We're probably - no, I'm sure of it - just wasting our time since the ceramic grate works well. [p]Now, if you're new to the BGE you're a lot better off spending your money on ribs, steaks, fish and other wonderful things to eat rather than all the gadgets you hear discussed. I have found that if you cook it, they (spouses) will eat and having eaten , they will shower you with gadgets to encourage you to cook more.[p]Goo luck and good eating.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Rather than hardware cloth, KennyG's magical turbo firebox grate calls for 1/2" diamond expanded metal sheets. This is basically a piece of metal about 1/8" thick which has had been punctured with small slits and then pulled so that it looks like it has diamond shaped cut-outs. You can pick it up at Home Depot or Lowe's or any good hardware store.

• RhumAndJerk,[p]The Boston media is saying that the Sox and Pedro will beat the Indians once again. Natch. [p]Pedro said that, though the Cleveland fans shouted threats at him in April (worse than KennyG's hopes) that he and Alomar consider pitching inside as being part of the game.[p]Speculation is, in Boston, anyway, that the game will be an uneventful win for the good guys. :-)[p]Lee
  • KennyG
    smgrate.jpg
    <p />PRobinson,[p]The wise one is right on the money. I made my first "turbo grate" out of a panic situation. I was setting up for a big party cook and dropped my OEM grate accidently. It wound up in about 5 pieces and the guests were coming in a couple of hours. This was the best I could do in that timeframe.[p]They actually work fairly well and will allow the highest possible temps in your Egg for steak sears due to the minimal airflow restriction. 1000+* is no problem and they will last about 6 months. A couple bucks worth of hardware cloth is cheap insurance. [p]Others have used floor drain trivets and expanded metal cut to size. Our own Char Woody built a couple of experimental replacement grates using a double diamond mesh and ceramic donut with expanded metal insert design. I was lucky enough to obtain a couple of his prototypes.[p]bottle.gif

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    KennyG,[p]I also got to try one of those donuts. Here is my preference of all that I have tried - the cast iron trivet. This one is made by Lodge and is available locally if your lucky. $9-11.[p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    grate2.jpg
    <p />KennyG,[p]I also got to try one of those donuts. Here is my preference of all that I have tried - the cast iron trivet. This one is made by Lodge and is available locally if your lucky. $9-11.[p]Tim[p]Sorry - forgot to add picture - duhhhhh!
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    RhumAndJerk,
    So, how were they? JCA

• J Appledog,
    They came out very tasty, a little overdone but tasty. It was nice change of pace. I posted more in my EggcitableOne post above.[p]I have a couple left. They will be dinner tonight.[p]Thanks,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• KennyG
    Tim M,[p]Did you happen to notice if these came in a size that might fit the small Egg?[p]Ken

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    KennyG,
    The trivet only comes in one size,i used three 3/4"x3-1/2" carriage bolts in a trivet for legs and made a fire grate for my chiminea.In one hour i will be loading up my mini and mini a beers and headed to the lake for the weekend.
    Larry

• KennyG
    YB,[p]Thanks for the input. I may have to invest in a trivet when I use up my roll of hardware cloth hehehe[p]Have a great weekend at the lake. Got small parties for tonite and tommorrow and the the Eggs will be hot.[p]K~G

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    KennyG,
    That sounds like when i went to buy 1/8" hardware cloth,the salesman said he could order me some,i said how much,he said $175.00,i'm still looking.
    YB