Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the BGE accessory you regret purchasing the most?

Options

Comments

• flyer_egger
    flyer_egger Posts: 128
    Options
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    Love my Maverick.  I don't always use it, but when I do I am glad I have it.  It sped up my low&slow learning curve a lot.  For that it was well worth the $$.
    You should get a BBQ Guru!  :tongue: 
    Lol!  Thats just cruel.
    I know...I just couldn't help myself.  
    That's just too funny....

I put it in the USPS system this afternoon it's on it's way cazzy ( a little salt for the wound?  LOL)
    NEPA, Med egg,
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    i gave my 3rd warranty replacement large CI grid to my bro in law after he melted a plastic bucket to his vision grid. Fit like a charm. It was still in the plastic wrap after a year in the garage so I was glad to find it a new home. I used the first two 3 times or less before they cracked. I bought a spider and sm CI grid and have really enjoyed that setup for a few years now. That is a searing machine. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    i gave my 3rd warranty replacement large CI grid to my bro in law after he melted a plastic bucket to his vision grid. Fit like a charm. It was still in the plastic wrap after a year in the garage so I was glad to find it a new home. I used the first two 3 times or less before they cracked. I bought a spider and sm CI grid and have really enjoyed that setup for a few years now. That is a searing machine. 
    Love the spider/small CI combo.  It has held up well too...no cracking at all so it's clearly built better than the large one.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Jokertaz
    Jokertaz Posts: 17
    Options
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Jokertaz said:
    What is an ar
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/big-green-egg-large-adjustable-rig.html

(note that is for the large egg, they have other sizes as well). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• randolphcogirl
    Options
    Hi everyone! We're new to this forum. Have a large BGE (2 years) and small BGE (just got this one) and I am curious about the Adjustable Rig. Can someone post a pic? I don't know what this is and am very interested in learning more about how you use instead of the PS. Thanks!

Large BGE, Small BGE. Four Oaks, NC

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Hi everyone! We're new to this forum. Have a large BGE (2 years) and small BGE (just got this one) and I am curious about the Adjustable Rig. Can someone post a pic? I don't know what this is and am very interested in learning more about how you use instead of the PS. Thanks!
    You don't use the AR instead of the platesetter, but the AR's shape/height precludes its use.  You can either use the oval stone for heat deflection, which sits on the bottom level of the AR, or you can get a spider and round stone (which is what I have and am very happy with) which holds the heat deflector below the AR and gives you an extra cooking level.
    NOLA
  • Adrock
    Adrock Posts: 93
    edited March 2015
    Options
    With so many boring topics like what are you doing or drinking right now - this is refreshing and helpful. Thanks for posting. 
    Victoria, MN
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    BGE grid lifter - get thirdeyes, I use it every cook.

Not many will agree with me, but I bought those grates that help the airflow at the bottom of the firebox for both my small and large and went back to the BGE grates soon after.  Too much lump was falling through and I have no problems with the original grates...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    smbishop said:

Not many will agree with me, but I bought those grates that help the airflow at the bottom of the firebox for both my small and large and went back to the BGE grates soon after.  Too much lump was falling through and I have no problems with the original grates...
    Small pieces of lump will fall through, but they still burn, and still add heat to the cook.  If you have no problem with the OEM grates I'm sure you could find a buyer here for your High-Ques.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I would be glad to give them to anyone in the DFW area if they want to drop by...  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Adrock said:
    With so many boring topics like what are you doing or drinking right now - this is refreshing and helpful. Thanks for posting. 
    So start an interesting cook/discussion.....
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    I would gladly take the LBGE cast iron cooking grate off anyone who doesn't want it. The problem is shipping .. it will probably cost a fortune. 

My worst accessory purchase is the baking steel I purchased .. have not had a chance to use it much :-(
    Trade someone the baking steel for a CI grid 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Adrock said:
    I too find this thread interesting, but I love whiskey and the such and really enjoy the diverse postings about the libations. 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    smbishop said:

In both my eggs the stock Charcoal grate folded like a taco. I use my eggs 5x a week though. Got the High que and never looked back. 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Worst thing I bought was the grid extender. First accessory I bought and it was used maybe 2 cooks.  
  • Lecky
    Lecky Posts: 60
    Options
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    smbishop said:

In both my eggs the stock Charcoal grate folded like a taco. I use my eggs 5x a week though. Got the High que and never looked back. 
    Replaced my stock with hi que on recommendation of @johnkitchens but the stock was cracked over halfway when I pulled it. It was on its way out. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
  • Adrock
    Options
    Adrock said:
    That's the problem...  Lately, there seems to be a lot of "I'm bored so I am going to post a random thought" topics. I am not going to post just to add to my stats. I can voice an opinion.  
    Victoria, MN
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Adrock said:
    Adrock said:
    That's the problem...  Lately, there seems to be a lot of "I'm bored so I am going to post a random thought" topics. I am not going to post just to add to my stats. I can voice an opinion.  
    So cook something interesting and post a thread.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Adrock
    Options
    DMW said:
    Adrock said:
    Adrock said:
    So cook something interesting and post a thread.
    So I can't comment unless I immediately post a new cook thread to offset? 
    Victoria, MN
  • DMW
    Options
    @Adrock
    I didn't say that. Just offering a solution to your concern re: off topic posts.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Adrock said:
    Adrock said:
    You can certainly voice an opinion, however, those two threads you dropped a turd on have very high participation rates. If you find them boring, offer up something better. As I tell the folks that work for me, bring a solution, not just a problem. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Boy some of these threads go south in a hurry. 

Little Rock, AR

• DMW
    Options
    Boy some of these threads go south in a hurry. 
    And some take 4 pages... :wink:

Something else I haven't used in awhile, the BGE XL Pizza Stone. It works great, but I wish I had purchased the large so I could have raised it higher in the dome of my XL.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited March 2015
    Options

:) As a reminder to those miffed and/or taken aback by @Adrock 's comments, I'll mention that he did compliment and thank the OP for this thread.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I haven't been to the CGS website in awhile, above posts had me clicking.  They've added a few demo videos that were interesting, but what really caught my attention is the method they use here:
    brisket
    ...to determine the grain direction after the cook!  I tried using toothpicks stuck in the raw meat as reminders, but more than half the time I forgot them, resulting in several tentative test cuts to determine the meats grain direction; anxious to try this "after the fact" method out.  

I also ran across this 1/2-hour video on BGE basics, which also had a couple tips that I can use.  FWIW:
    Extended Tips

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• MunchkinRedux
    Options
    Eggerty said:
    mtbguy said:
    BGE cast iron half moon griddle. Cooked some bacon on it once and also did some french fries once. Never used it again.
    Wow I forgot about that...add a 4th for me. Used it once.
    Granted I'm still a newbie, but so far, I like my half-moon griddle.  Great for cooking up onions as a side when I don't need two zones for the meat.  I'm sure I'll find other uses for it as I go.