Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Re-Inserting BGE Thermometer

Options
At the advise from @RRP before doing a clean burn (while waiting on a Rutland) I pulled the BGE thermometer from the dome. It had a bit of resistance. What I didn't know until after the burn, there is some sort of clip the thermometer was attached to. I never knew it was there. When I reinsert, the thermometer is loose and easily spins. I could seem to get the point through the two holes in the clip. Further, I don't know if the clip was sealed to  the dome originally. 

Any suggestions? Don't want to buy a new thermometer. It's just annoying that it' loose. 

Thanks! 

New Albany, Ohio 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Throw the damn clip in the garbage and spin the thermo so that desired temp is at 12:00 for easy visibility. All that clip is good for is to de calibrate the thermo should you happen to spin it. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I don't even use the clip anymore. It's just a metal holding clip and doesn't attach to anything. You have to "pinch" the clip to get the probe to slide through. Releasing the pressure seats the clip in place. Personally, the spinning doesn't bother me.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Also, to tighten the clip, pinch and slide it up the probe until it meets the inside of the dome.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    @theyolksonyou
    Thanks but I prefer the 12 to be 500. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    No it was not sealed and many of us just take that @#$%^& clip off and throw it in the trash! Gravity will keep your thermometer from falling out. Another disadvantage to using that clip is it grips the probe so tight that if you turn the exterior of that thermometer then you just threw it out of calibration. If the spinning really does brother you put a dab of simple silicone in the hole and then insert the thermometer. BTW how did the clean burn work for you?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    you must have pulled hard to get the thermo out! It is just a spring clip. You might find one at the hardware store if you take your thermo in for sizing the clip correctly. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    @TheBuckeye- To get some "spin resistance" for your thermo and more stand-off distance inside the BGE, drill thru a wine cork (short dimension) and then run your thermo thru the cork and up against the BGE.  Others use tinker toy round pieces to achieve the same effect.
    BTW-you may want to check your dome thermo calibration given your discovery.  FWIW.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I took both of mine out to calibrate and threw the clips away. They will now free spin, but it isn't a big deal. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    I use the clips to hold my thermo in my pot of boiling water.  I free spin on the egg.

However, I'm with you 500 at 12.  @Jeepster47 puts desired temp at 12 and it messes with me.  I judge based on needle relative to 12 if I move my desired temp to 12 I have no idea what is going on.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    I'm in the target temp at 12 camp.  A quick glance let's me know where I am relative to desired temp.  Whatever works...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    Another what RRP said !!!
    Gambrills,Maryland

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Full disclosure: I like the idea of temp at 12. In reality I'm lazy and just leave it where it lies and go read it. Can't see it from the house anyway. I did chunk the clip though. 
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    That clip is the second thing I throw away on a new egg.  First is the factory gasket.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @theyolksonyou
    Thanks but I prefer the 12 to be 500. 
    You sure it is not the 0º is at 6? I was once in this camp - until I realized how easy it is to spin the thermo so the target temp is at the 12 o'clock position. A quick glance and you know if the dome is too cold or too hot. You will someday see the wisdom of the egg grasshopper. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Cut about 1/2 inch off a wine cork and stick it through that first, then into the egg.  The additional friction will hold it in place. 

One thing that bothers me is that metal clip is floating around in your egg somewhere.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    @ RRP I'd more aptly describe it as a half-ass clean burn. Only went a couple hours with some old lump. the inside of the egg is lighter but hardly white. I still plan to do a full blown full lump go at it. 
    New Albany, Ohio