Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Jerky Question

Options
Retired RailRoader
Retired RailRoader Posts: 975
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight I saw Alton Brown make beef jerky by just using air to dry out the meat. I got to thinking that maybe just maybe there might be an egger or two that has tried making jerky on the egg. If so how did it turn out and what procedure did you use. TIA
Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.

Comments

• Brayon
    Brayon Posts: 24
    Options
    I tried it once and it was really nice.[p]This web site has a recipe that is probably very close to what I got.
    http://www.microwebtech.com/[p]If you like a chewy jerky, cut on the side of the grain, for a more softer jerky, cut across.[p]Took me probably around 4-6 hours at 225 or so. Best tip to give is to try it, turned out very good on my first time here. Humm I should do more this Summer!

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    Yep, its been done for years. For photos and instructions you can check out GFM's website for all the specifics. He has a lot of good info for newbies.
    His profile is (was?) listed here so check out his website and you should find what you need.
    later,
    ChefRD

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    I love jerky from my egg. Below is a link to some great recipes, tips and instructions.[p]Try smoking cheese also. Some of the best cheeses I have tasted have been smoked. My favorites are smoked Swiss and Guda. To help keep the temperature around cheese real low (about 80°), I fill a lot of beer cans with water and freeze them. I place the cans around the cheese and change the cans out often. Search the archives for smoked cheese. There are some great cheese threads out there.[p]Smoking cheese gives me another reason to drink a lot of beer. :)[p]Beers to yah, BeerMike

[ul][li]Kevi's Jerky Page[/ul]
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    ChefRD,
    Do you have a link to GFM's web site? I looked at GFM's profile here and it was blank. BeeMike posted a link to a Kevi's web site that has some good info on jerky. Is this the link you mentioned? Thanks.

• Parrothead
    Parrothead Posts: 101
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    I believe that would be GFW. I don't have a link to his site, but TNW has Wise One's cookbook which has a recipe from GFW for his River City Jerky. I have made it sevceral times with great results. It also contains many others also!! HTH[p]Chris[p]I should be pulling some pork in 6-7 hours!!!

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/cookbooks.htm[/ul]
    Wobbly Pops to ya, Chris
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    Below is a link to GFW's site. I hope it helps you out. [p]BeerMike
    "It's time for another beer"

[ul][li]GFW's BBQ Site[/ul]
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    BeerMike,
    Thanks!!

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Parrothead,
    DOH! You're 100% right. I 'meant' GFW, as I have been Gordon's friend for years, (at least I think so ;))[p]Musta been a case of the ole' slip of the keys. :)
    (I hate when that happens.)[p]Later,
    ron.